Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-22-2017, 06:19 PM   #1

Hurricane 35M Towing Wrangler

I've always had travel trailers and now looking to buy a Motorhome. I am looking at the Hurricane 35M to live in for about six months to a year.

It gas a GVWR of 22,000 lbs and a GCWR of 26,000 lbs. It comes with a 8,000 lb rated hitch.

If my Jeep Wrangler Unlimited weighs 4,600 lbs with a full tank of gas (I would not have any gear in it when being toad) it appears this would overload the Motorhome. Am I correct? Why would they put a 8,000 lb hitch on it.

Thanks for help

Greg
Greg950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-23-2017, 07:08 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
TMC added the Class III plus (8,000lb rolling load/500lb on the tongue) receivers in 2016 to avoid a weak link in the chassis for the great majority of owners.

They made the frame capable of these numbers, so if you load the RV below GVWR, you can safely tow the max 8,000lb. This is where TMC differs from other brands who only build the frame to 5,000lb capacity.

For the Jeep, there's probably no worries about the towed weight. The RV probably weighs just over 18,000lb UVW, so you could load a ton in the RV and still be able to tow the Jeep. What does the orange OCCC sticker on the entry door report..that number was taken at the end of the assembly line at the factory?

And, you could tow up to the full 8,000lb with the V10/6speed combo, if you wanted to...Just load lightly (i.e. empty tanks) then check the RV's weight on a scale to see how much of the 8,000 is available (26,000lb [GVWR] minus RV weight = tow capacity [up to 8,000]).

Safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hurricane, tow, towing