Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-21-2018, 10:52 PM   #15

Hi Jim. How was the towing experiance with the hybrid?
quinault is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2018, 10:25 PM   #16

Tiffin Owners Club
GREAT ! Towing part same as any other toad. Just make sure aux brakes can do active brakes.

jim
viewfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 10:52 PM   #17

Thanks Jim. Going with the AF1. Claims to work with active brakes. Thanks for the info.
quinault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 01:27 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by quinault View Post
Thanks Jim. Going with the AF1. Claims to work with active brakes. Thanks for the info.
I would assume all aux braking systems would work; after thinking on this a little more. Usually you tow without power to vehicle; which both regenerative and active braking systems would be deactivated due to lack of power.

Therefore, adding an aux brake system should be just like adding one to a non hybrid or non active brakes. Unless you are using electrical means to activate brakes. Then you will need one that taps into your computer to control the active braking system; either deactivate it or utilize it. Though having a toad lock up brakes because the front end is too close to the rear of the rig might not be a good thing going 55+ mph. Or something causes the active braking system to activate and lock up tires. I can't see the engineers designing something that would be active if the vehicle is in the off state.

I assume all aux brakes tie into the hydraulics; and I assume that the engineers thought of this when they stated vehicles can be towed by rigs.

I was looking into the aux brakes years ago because Cali stated all toads must have one. I haven't towed enough to actually abide by this law, yet.

I hope everything is working out okay.

For those who don't know:
Active and regen brakes are monitored by the on board computer. Sensors are placed throughout the vehicle to sense direction and feed signals to the computer and braking system. All brakes are hydraulic that I know of so far. If there is an error the computer sends a deactivate signal to the controller of either system.

Anti-Lock Brake Systems: uses a pulsating device to pulse the front brakes eliminating locking the front brakes.

Active braking systems use sensors to sense objects near the vehicle to assist in braking.

Regenerative braking uses either relays or sensors and the Counter Electro-Motive Force of generators to assist in braking and charging batteries.

All of these systems tie into the computer and tap into the hydraulic lines to each brake caliper; except for regenerative braking.

Auxiliary braking system or external brake system: can either be hydraulic only or powered assisted braking. Some even provide a charge to toad's battery from rig.

I don't know of any that provide an electrical signal to the computer or ABS module to control braking. I assume only to deactivate system if errors occur.
einstein2nd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 02:47 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by einstein2nd View Post
I would assume all aux braking systems would work; after thinking on this a little more. Usually you tow without power to vehicle; which both regenerative and active braking systems would be deactivated due to lack of power.

Therefore, adding an aux brake system should be just like adding one to a non hybrid or non active brakes. Unless you are using electrical means to activate brakes. Then you will need one that taps into your computer to control the active braking system; either deactivate it or utilize it. Though having a toad lock up brakes because the front end is too close to the rear of the rig might not be a good thing going 55+ mph. Or something causes the active braking system to activate and lock up tires. I can't see the engineers designing something that would be active if the vehicle is in the off state.

I assume all aux brakes tie into the hydraulics; and I assume that the engineers thought of this when they stated vehicles can be towed by rigs.

I was looking into the aux brakes years ago because Cali stated all toads must have one. I haven't towed enough to actually abide by this law, yet.

I hope everything is working out okay.

For those who don't know:
Active and regen brakes are monitored by the on board computer. Sensors are placed throughout the vehicle to sense direction and feed signals to the computer and braking system. All brakes are hydraulic that I know of so far. If there is an error the computer sends a deactivate signal to the controller of either system.

Anti-Lock Brake Systems: uses a pulsating device to pulse the front brakes eliminating locking the front brakes.

Active braking systems use sensors to sense objects near the vehicle to assist in braking.

Regenerative braking uses either relays or sensors and the Counter Electro-Motive Force of generators to assist in braking and charging batteries.

All of these systems tie into the computer and tap into the hydraulic lines to each brake caliper; except for regenerative braking.

Auxiliary braking system or external brake system: can either be hydraulic only or powered assisted braking. Some even provide a charge to toad's battery from rig.

I don't know of any that provide an electrical signal to the computer or ABS module to control braking. I assume only to deactivate system if errors occur.
Your assumption is wrong. My 2006 Escape Hybrid requires the key to be in the accessory position when towing. At that point the electric brake boost is active (I don't know if it's active with the key off). The first time I towed it I had a Brake Buddy that wasn't compatible with active brakes. It locked up the wheels on every stop until I disconnected it. I bought a new Blue Ox braking unit that had a setting for active brakes. Tows perfectly now.
ageishecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 08:34 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ageishecker View Post
Your assumption is wrong. My 2006 Escape Hybrid requires the key to be in the accessory position when towing. At that point the electric brake boost is active (I don't know if it's active with the key off). The first time I towed it I had a Brake Buddy that wasn't compatible with active brakes. It locked up the wheels on every stop until I disconnected it. I bought a new Blue Ox braking unit that had a setting for active brakes. Tows perfectly now.
Why do you need the key; is it due to the locking mechanism on the steering wheel?

In the case of requiring the key in the on position to unlock steering; this will activate the systems stated above. My statements above were if you had the locking mechanism removed or did not require key.

I am curious on how the Blue Ox connects to your toad. I researched this and saw a model that actually utilizes the brake pedal. I was unaware of this model. The ones I saw years ago; were the ones that tap into the hydraulic lines.

This model changes a lot of my statements above. I do apologize. I can't believe they now have bionic foots for toads. Haha

I have heard of bionic arms for soldering and the sorts; but a bionic foot. Technology has eluded me once again.

I've been working on a design that will deactivate the steering wheel lock by inserting a tool to bypass the lock. I've torn apart a few steering columns in my time and seen a few different types of locks; on the column or wheel. I think I have a simple fix for the ones that lock the wheel. As for the column locks I think an electrical bypass would work; which could possibly work for both types.
einstein2nd is offline   Reply With Quote