Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-17-2018, 01:11 PM   #1

Hybrid braking

Hi everyone. We recently bought a 99 Airstream Cutter, 35ft DP. Then yesterday we picked up a 2010 Escape hybrid to tow behind. I'm now trying to figure out what the best supplemental braking system would be for the hybrid. I think I remember seeing something about the braking system on the hybrid being active (not dead) while towing. I thinking this may have a bearing on which system would work best. Right now I'm leaning towards Roadmaster towbar and breaking system. Does anyone out there have experience towing ford hybrids? Any info would be greatly appreciated.
quinault is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2018, 02:06 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by quinault View Post
Hi everyone. We recently bought a 99 Airstream Cutter, 35ft DP. Then yesterday we picked up a 2010 Escape hybrid to tow behind. I'm now trying to figure out what the best supplemental braking system would be for the hybrid. I think I remember seeing something about the braking system on the hybrid being active (not dead) while towing. I thinking this may have a bearing on which system would work best. Right now I'm leaning towards Roadmaster towbar and breaking system. Does anyone out there have experience towing ford hybrids? Any info would be greatly appreciated.
I am not familiar with towing hybrids. I have electrical/electronic background. I know the theories behind the systems they use.

I assume you have talked to the dealership first. Also, check your manual it might state how you can tow your vehicle. Flat, front, rear, or haul?

Like you said, braking system can be active; if it is, I am not sure if the engineers designed a cutoff when the batteries reach full capacity when vehicle being towed. Tying into this system with an external braking system might cause issues. Just tying into the lighting should be no issue.

I recommend talking with the shop expert in several dealerships.

I also read other forums discussing this and some said the transmission gets hot. This states the transmission will have to be disconnected while towed.

forum about flat tow:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/flat-...wd-331353.html

ford forum:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8...e-towable.html

hope this helps

Edit: after reading a few other forums: I recommend a car hauler.
einstein2nd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 02:39 PM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Sorry, never towed a Ford. I'm a Honda guy!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 03:09 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by einstein2nd View Post
I am not familiar with towing hybrids. I have electrical/electronic background. I know the theories behind the systems they use.

I assume you have talked to the dealership first. Also, check your manual it might state how you can tow your vehicle. Flat, front, rear, or haul?

Like you said, braking system can be active; if it is, I am not sure if the engineers designed a cutoff when the batteries reach full capacity when vehicle being towed. Tying into this system with an external braking system might cause issues. Just tying into the lighting should be no issue.

I recommend talking with the shop expert in several dealerships.

I also read other forums discussing this and some said the transmission gets hot. This states the transmission will have to be disconnected while towed.

forum about flat tow:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/flat-...wd-331353.html

ford forum:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8...e-towable.html

hope this helps

Edit: after reading a few other forums: I recommend a car hauler.
Thanks einstein. all the research I have found (which wasn't much), and the owners manual, state that it should be towed flat. Guess I need to talk to several installation shops to see if they have any experience with the hybrid.
Old 08-17-2018, 06:41 PM   #5

I use a Blue Ox Patriot in my Escape hybrid. It has a setting for hybrid brakes so it over apply the brakes. I've been using it since 2006 and have been very pleased.
ageishecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 03:38 AM   #6

Welcome to the forum!

The owner's manual sez, if it is FWD on a dolly, AWD is all wheels off (trailer), and if an AWD must be towed 4 down, in neutral, 35 MPH max and max distance is 50 miles.

Here is the link to your owner's manual.

The page number is 273 of 353.
Old 08-18-2018, 07:05 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePowells View Post
Welcome to the forum!

The owner's manual sez, if it is FWD on a dolly, AWD is all wheels off (trailer), and if an AWD must be towed 4 down, in neutral, 35 MPH max and max distance is 50 miles.

Here is the link to your owner's manual.

The page number is 273 of 353.
Page 273 is for emergency towing. Look at the recreational towing section on page 209.
Old 08-18-2018, 11:52 PM   #8

My owners manual states, in the recreational towing section, tow it flat and in neutral. My original question concerned which braking system would work best in a active brake situation. I'm leaning towards the AF1, possibly invisibrake.
Old 08-19-2018, 12:25 AM   #9

I'm sorry... Here is the link.

http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Fo.../10hevog2e.pdf

Here is the emergency towing section....
Emergency towing

In case of a roadside emergency with a disabled vehicle (without access to wheel dollies, car hauling trailer, or flatbed transport vehicle) your
vehicle (regardless of transmission powertrain configuration) can be flat towed (all wheels on the ground) under the following conditions:

Vehicle is facing forward so that it is being towed in a forward direction.

Place the transmission in N (Neutral). Refer to Brake-shift interlock
in the Driving chapter for specific instructions if you cannot move the
gear shift lever into N (Neutral).

Maximum speed is not to exceed 35 mph (56 km/h).

Maximum distance is 50 miles (80 km).

Recreational Towing

RECREATIONAL TOWING

An example of “recreational towing” is towing your vehicle behind a motorhome.

Note: Put your climate control system in recirculated air mode toprevent exhaust fumes from entering the vehicle. Refer to the Climate Controls chapter for more information.

Note: If you tow your vehicle with all four wheels on the ground, follow these instructions:

Tow only in the forward direction.

Release the parking brake.

Place the transmission shift lever in N (Neutral).

Place the ignition to the accessory position (refer to Starting in the
Driving chapter).

Your vehicle may be towed up to a speed of 75 mph (120 km/h), but you should always obey local speed limits.

You also have the option of trailering the vehicle with its front wheels on a dolly (FWD only), or trailering with all four wheels off the ground. Do not tow your four–wheel drive (4WD) vehicle with the front wheels off the ground and the rear wheels on the ground (such as with the use of a tow dolly). This will cause damage to your 4WD system.

For other towing requirements, refer to Wrecker towing in the Roadside Emergencies chapter.

????

Old 08-20-2018, 08:36 AM   #10

He knows why it can be towed 4 down. Why do you keep posting owner's manual information? It doesn't answer his question about braking. I gave him one response with my experience
Old 08-20-2018, 08:38 AM   #11

Quote:
My owners manual states, in the recreational towing section, tow it flat and in neutral. My original question concerned which braking system would work best in a active brake situation. I'm leaning towards the AF1, possibly invisibrake.
Be sure whatever you choose works with active braking. Otherwise the toad brakes will lock up on every stop. I learned that lesson before buying the Patriot.
Old 08-21-2018, 08:29 AM   #12

Quote:
No experience towing a Ford. However, I know the ReadyBrake/Brute system will operate just fine with active or dead pedal brakes. Take a look at their web site as they have different systems depending on your needs.

ReadyBrakeâ„¢ Towed Vehicle Receiver Style Supplemental Brake System
Old 08-21-2018, 09:25 AM   #13

I looked at the ReadyBrute and like the product. The thing that doesn't work for me is that it will apply the toad brakes when using my Jake brake. I have decided to go with the Air Force One which only works when the coach brakes are applied. They also say that they work with an "active brake system". One other thing that helped me decide was the fact that I could not find anyone with a bad experience using that system. Thank you all for the help. I will update after it is installed.
Old 08-21-2018, 10:11 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Toad a 2006 Escape Hybrid before they knew what to do with Active Brakes. Had an Brake Buddy that I set at 10lbs or less.
Active brakes only means they will act like power brakes all the time. A lot of newer Aux Brakes have a selection for active or reg brakes.

jim
viewfinder is offline   Reply With Quote