Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-27-2022, 03:25 PM   #1

Hybrids as 4 down toads - Escape, Maverick or others

With used cars at a premium and most demand new cars not available we are planning ahead - looking to order a car before wa actually need one. The last several years have really changed the car shopping process. Our current cars are FWD and pulled on a tow dolly but looking forward we want to go to 4 down tow-a-able and also considering a hybrid. We do not go off road so Jeep or similar is not a priority but because of age suv or truck are preferred to small cars.
Of late I have been looking closely at the Ford Escape Hybrid or Maverick Hybrid. Does anyone in this group have an Escape or Maverick Hybrid, or other hybrid that they use for 4 down towing? If so, will you share you real world experience towing these vehicles? If you use a different Hybrid as a toad please include your experience (good or bad) as well. I look forward to any helpful advice
NOLAfolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2022, 05:09 PM   #2

Following this post.
I have been shopping for a Maveric hybrid for almost a year. Found one in NY for $10,000 over its $27,000 sticker price. No deal.

August 6th seems to be the open date for 2023 orders. Then the wait can be up to a year before delivery.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 05:52 PM   #3

I tow a 2010 Mercury Mariner Hybrid (the luxury edition of Ford Escape Hybrid). Has a CVT transmission that tows perfectly. No complaints.

If I had to buy a new car tomorrow I would definitely look at Escape hybrid or Maverick hybrid
pasdad1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 09:21 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Following this post.
I have been shopping for a Maveric hybrid for almost a year. Found one in NY for $10,000 over its $27,000 sticker price. No deal.

August 6th seems to be the open date for 2023 orders. Then the wait can be up to a year before delivery.

Yep, trying to do my home work before Aug 6th.
NOLAfolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 11:00 PM   #5

Also the Lincoln version of the Escape hybrid is the Corsair Grand Touring is an AWD plug-in hybrid and is towable 4 down.
Old 07-28-2022, 04:47 AM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We have a 2021 Ford Escape Hybrid front wheel drive with 8800 driving miles and 4700 towing miles. I installed a Roadmaster base plate and tow bar myself. We towed it from Michigan to Florida, to Texas, then back to Michigan last winter and had no problems with anything. The car is very nice to drive but not particularly roomy or luxurious. It is, of course, a compact car. It has good acceleration and we get around 38 mpg. It weighs around 3500# and my class A Thor Hurricane on the Ford F-53 chassis with V-10 engine pulls it easily. I highly recommend the Escape Hybrid for flat towing.
-Ken
Vibeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 06:15 AM   #7

Like you, debating between Escape and Maverick as both fall below the max weight for both Transit and Sprinter based Class C/B+. Waiting for books to reopen next month and order. While can find a few on lot and donít mind MSRP given the extraordinary trade in value of my Mini but will not pay premium. In normal market can negotiate better price, but looks like I will use Fordís X-Plan that will cut through the dealer BS and set price just below dealer cost. They wonít do it on existing inventory like will do in regular markets, so must be order. While I qualify through 2 veteran organizations, apparently most people do but donít know it as included in membership with a specific online club, but has a 90 day delay on eligibility for the benefit.

You can search inventory online, and while my bias is SEL, Titanium or Lariat trim, a couple things to be aware of. On the Escape, if important to you, the moonroof has zero lbs weight tolerance (per owners manual) and even crossbars to mount the load (kayaks, bikes, cargo, etc) is not approved. The Maverick appears to have a very erect non-adjustable rear seat back (like the Ranger) which would impact rear seat comfort for distance. May want to sit in an inventory model to see.

Ordering does take time but is doable. Now If I wrecked the Mini and needed immediately, used, any of the Ford hybrids, the Cmax, Escape, and discontinued sedans Lincoln MKZ and Ford twin (blanking on name). New in same class, but non-hybrid are Chevy Equinox (AWD and FWD) but not the GMC twin, and the Buick Encore GX/Chevy Trailblazer twins but must be the AWD with Upgraded 1.3L engine (not FWD or 1.2L) And the Buick must be the GX, not the prior generation Encore that is still produced and sold next to the Encore GX.
tizeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 10:14 PM   #8
PKI

First - there are several options built on the Escape platform. The one we looked at seriously was the Lincoln Corsair. Problem is that the Lincoln is expensive. The PHEV is four wheel drive and 4 down towable. It has the Escape front wheel drive and hybrid electric motor and is augmented with a second electric motor to run the rear wheels. Different, but worth looking at if you are replacing a primary driver with a Plug in Hybrid. Options include lumbar support for passenger, which is missing on a lot of the low priced Hybrids. There is also a multi-adjustable seating option to get everything just right.

Yes, we would have liked to buy a PHEV, but No, we did not buy one. Upcharge to get one from the lot, long lead time to order, and we defined the model we could buy was not as comfortable as the Jeep Cherokee TRAILHAWK that we did purchase.

Your situation is different, as you are just looking. Do not make your move until conditions for buying cars improve. Know exactly what you want. Find that vehicle on the lot at a dealer who is not insane. At the end of the month, see if you can deal with them. Walk away if they need the vehicle on the lot more than you need it behind the RV.

Example of Dealers who were crazy include the $5000 over list ($2K was added for theft deterrent package we did not want); the $15K over list for a vehicle that had $1000 wheels we did not want, the wrong color, and was missing the must have seating option; and the $7000 over list for a vehicle with a $2K wheel option we did not want and missing several must have options.

Note - a hybrid with a large battery will have a rebate that can help reduce the purchase price. Keep an eye on that benefit as it will run out after the assigned qty is sold. Teslas are oversold, so no rebate. The Lincolns/Mavericks are just getting started. Don't know where the Escapes fall.

Note - Hybrids have a smaller battery than the Plug in Hybrids and therefore have a smaller rebate.
PKI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 06:34 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKI View Post
First - there are several options built on the Escape platform. The one we looked at seriously was the Lincoln Corsair. Problem is that the Lincoln is expensive. The PHEV is four wheel drive and 4 down towable. It has the Escape front wheel drive and hybrid electric motor and is augmented with a second electric motor to run the rear wheels. Different, but worth looking at if you are replacing a primary driver with a Plug in Hybrid. Options include lumbar support for passenger, which is missing on a lot of the low priced Hybrids. There is also a multi-adjustable seating option to get everything just right.

Yes, we would have liked to buy a PHEV, but No, we did not buy one. Upcharge to get one from the lot, long lead time to order, and we defined the model we could buy was not as comfortable as the Jeep Cherokee TRAILHAWK that we did purchase.

Yes, I love the Lincoln Corsair (Grand Touring model only for 4 down) PHEV but OP didn't say what RV intended to pull it with. The only problem with the Lincoln is the advertised GVWR of 4532 which exceeds the Class C/B+ Transit and Sprinter based RV's 4000 or 4200 lbs respectively. The Jeep Trailblazer is advertised right at 4200 lbs, but advertised is research guideline only and what really applies is the exact as optioned weight specific to that vehicle and noted on the doorplate. All Class A, Super C, and C's based on the Ford E or Chevy platform would have no problem with the Lincoln or Jeep. By contrast, the Escape Hybrid, Escape PHEV, and Maverick Hybrid range in advertised GVWR from 3400 to 3850 lbs. Unfortunately, Lincoln doesn't offer the Corsair in the hybrid only version. Also, on the Jeep, if didn't like the knobby tires of the Trailblazer, other trims, like Limited, can be ordered with the 4wd that can be 4 down towable as the "entry" 4WD is not 4 down towable. Dealers are not going to order stock and tick the box for the optional 4WD with it's cost when to the public doesn't know the difference and sees that it is 4WD (or AWD).
tizeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 02:18 PM   #10

Jeep doesn't have a Trailblazer. That is Chevy.
Old 07-29-2022, 05:46 PM   #11

We have a 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid SE Sport AWD. We've towed it a couple thousand miles so far with no issues. We used Blue Ox baseplate and towbar with RVi Brake 3 and Rvi Towed Battery Charger. It's easy to hookup and the car goes into neutral tow mode very easy.
It's also our daily driver and we get 45+ mpg since most of our driving is local and shorter distances. We'll often see 70+ mpg for our short trips. However, we recently drove to Vail and back, about 300 miles and averaged 45+. The key to good mileage is to use cruise control and not have a lead foot, plus going the speed limit.
While it's not a luxury car it more than meets our needs. BTW it's also great in the snow.
Donskiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 06:06 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
I bought a 2018 Ford Fusion in 2019. Not because it was towable but because I wanted a Fusion and the Hybrid, 1-year-old with 30,000 miles was the same price as the nonhybrid models. It was a nice surprise when I decided to find a flat tow dingy that I already had one.

Of course since 2019 things have changed a bit. I paid $15,500 in 2019 with 30k miles, have driven it 58k miles and had a DEALER offer me $16,500 for it last week.

They quit making the Fusion in 2020 and last year there was still some new inventory available. But that has all disappeared now.

It tows great. I've taken it on my annual 2800 trek to Mazatlan with only one issue. When you put it in tow mode, it is supposed to keep the acc circuit live. It does not. It would routinely shut off the power to the 12 outlets after about 1 1/2 hours. I've read and followed the directions and tried several different things. I have the charge wire from the coach to the car and it shows it's charging but it still shuts off. Since I only tow it twice a year for 7 days at a time I've got better things to do that keep messing with it. I just put my 12v jump box on the passenger floor to power my brakes.

Other than tires and routine maintenance I've done nothing to it. If I ran across a brand new 2020 I would snap it up. The Escape is nice but I don't need all-wheel drive or an SUV and I'm perfectly happy. Looks like I will drive it into the ground.
amosnandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 07:37 PM   #13

We have 7000 miles towing our 2022 escape phev. No issues. Installed the brake buddy stealth. One perk i like is the 14 KW battery I can tap into if need be when dry camping and i donít want to run the gen. I ďidleĒ the escape and tap into the 12 volt battery with a dc to dc charger.

On the escape getting the 75amp AGM 12 volt battery is a must. The smaller flooded one that came with ours would die if we didnt drive for a few days.

Any specific questions feel free to ask.
Old 08-03-2022, 10:09 AM   #14

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
We flat tow a Ford C-Max SEL Hybrid. I wasn’t overly concerned about the mileage so much, although that’s a plus, but for simplicity of towing. Start it, put it in neutral, hook it up, shut it off and go. Don’t have to start it up and let it run for 5 minutes, don’t have to shift it through all the gears, don’t have to pull any fuses etc. I’ve towed it for 8 years, first behind my gasser and now my DP. I’ve also towed it for 4 days in a row without ever taking it off. It only weighs about 3400 lbs., and it’s so easy to use for transportation once we reach our destination. On a guess I’ve towed it about 45,000 miles. it has 130,00 miles on it now and still runs like a dream and towing miles don’t accumulate on the odometer. I have a bra I put on the front that fits like a glove, added invisibrake and of course a charging line for the starting battery. The only thing I’d change it for would be the Jeep Trailhawk as there have been time we couldn’t go where we wanted with the C-Max. We don’t off-road per se but there have been a few occasions where that ability would have been nice. Only downside is it’s not the quietest vehicle I’ve ever had. It’s not awful, but I’ve test driven a Mini Cooper and I’d put it on a par with that. Only other issue is Ford recommends not exceeding 65 mph with it. I think that’s for extended periods of time as I have when passing or coasting down hills. I normally run at 60 mph. Simple.
MoHo Dave
MoHo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad, toads