Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-21-2016, 06:06 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetoejam View Post
Currently flat towing a 2015 F150. Blue Ox base plate, Demco tow bar and Patriot brake. No need for the charge wire if you go the Patriot route. I ran 12 volt plug straight from the battery to power the Patriot as the ones in the truyck all shutdown after about 30-60 mins. Had the Patriot for another vehicle and coach so we just kept it. Once you get used to getting it setup, it really doesn't take all that long. We went with diodes for the lights and have been happy with that. Assuming you have the push button start, you will need to use the spare key to lock the drivers door from the outside. Otherwise the alarm will go off when you start towing it.
I was told by Blue Ox that I have to use the wire kit with the diodes because I would damage the rear LED lights by adding a bulb. I don't know how true that is but the Ford dealer said the diode kit will not harm any electrical/electronic systems on the truck.
It's a 2016 Lariat model so it probably has just about as many computers as the early space vehicles.
thetoejam: What spare key are you talking about?
The manual has this at the end of the 4 down setup for the keyless ignition:
"If your vehicle has intelligent access, press the
engine START/STOP button once
without pressing the brake pedal. You
do not need to leave your keys in the
vehicle. You can lock and unlock your vehicle as you normally do."
JohnH12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-21-2016, 07:49 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnH12 View Post
I was told by Blue Ox that I have to use the wire kit with the diodes because I would damage the rear LED lights by adding a bulb. I don't know how true that is but the Ford dealer said the diode kit will not harm any electrical/electronic systems on the truck.
It's a 2016 Lariat model so it probably has just about as many computers as the early space vehicles.
thetoejam: What spare key are you talking about?
The manual has this at the end of the 4 down setup for the keyless ignition:
"If your vehicle has intelligent access, press the
engine START/STOP button once
without pressing the brake pedal. You
do not need to leave your keys in the
vehicle. You can lock and unlock your vehicle as you normally do."
On our 2015 Lariat, we had a regular key, along with the 2 fobs (There is also an emergency key inside the fob). We've tried to lock the doors as we normally do and the alarm always went off. Just started locking the door with key and no issues with the alarm. Maybe they changed something with the 2016's???

-Mike
thetoejam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 07:17 AM   #17

thetoejam:
I thought my 12V points stayed hot even after shutdown. I'm gonna have to check that.
Seems there may be several differences between the keyed and keyless systems.
I hope to install the Blue Ox system withing the next few days and do a test drive.
I'll let ya know how it works.
JohnH12 is offline   Reply With Quote