Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-17-2021, 02:51 PM   #43

Tow bar height

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Wold View Post
There is a spec for that - I think it’s a couple inches either way, but I don’t recall exactly. Yours doesn’t look significant enough to worry about.
I just installed a complete system to tow my Ford Focus with my Class C Motorhome. The directions were very clear to not have more than a 3” difference in height. The closer in height, the better. It is difficult to go by your picture. Just park on level ground, and measure from your RV hitch to the ground, and from your toad connection to the ground. It should be close to you he same height. You can get a drop hitch at Harbor Freight, to match them up.
Coachmen RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2021, 02:52 PM   #44

I install these 2 or more a month and all manufactures say never ever run the bar down hill ether flat or up to 4 ins up. If it is down hill and you panic stop the todd could over center and hit the back of the motor home.
Old 06-17-2021, 02:54 PM   #45

And i have seen it happen.
Old 06-17-2021, 03:00 PM   #46

I only know that it has to be as level as possible, you can check and see if any adjustment you can make it

Zzotte
Old 06-17-2021, 03:03 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4Gary View Post
Stopped reading at "According to Camping World"...
That's what I was thinking. If you are taking the word of someone at CW you are putting the rest of the world in danger. Go to the equipment manufacturers website and read the specifications and instructions for yourself. Taking advice at the filling station or from strangers on a forum is a recipe for disaster.
Hurricane-TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 03:04 PM   #48

I have a drop down hitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwatson View Post
On a recent trip I was filling up with the toad attached and was advised by another RV'r that my toad angle tow bar was bad.

It was originally installed by Camping world and I thought it was done correctly. When I asked why this is bad I was told I needed a drop down on the RV and that the RV and Towbar should be exactly at the same hight?
It might be a few inches higher but I thought that too is what you wanted incase of an emergency stop, Here's a picture, comments please, should I take this back to Camping world and complain?
Looks good to me. I have a drop down receiver and my tow bar has more drop than yours in the picture. Look around at other rigs and you will see much worse.
Ramrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 03:14 PM   #49

I would think you are just fine if you have tow brakes on that jeep
normburgess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 03:16 PM   #50

Quote:
On a recent trip I was filling up with the toad attached and was advised by another RV'r that my toad angle tow bar was bad.

It was originally installed by Camping world and I thought it was done correctly. When I asked why this is bad I was told I needed a drop down on the RV and that the RV and Towbar should be exactly at the same hight?
It might be a few inches higher but I thought that too is what you wanted incase of an emergency stop, Here's a picture, comments please, should I take this back to Camping world and complain?
I leveled out my tow bar by putting a level lift on my JKU... 2.5" front and 1.5" rear. Now it doesn't have the silly looking rake and it still rides smooth. Did it myself in a few hours in my garage. Easy peasy and now Jeep looks way better.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2016 JKU b.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	110.9 KB
ID:	332497  
2017 22K Bounder 415/6spd/5:38s
2018 F150 Lariat 502A 4X4 Toad & Tow Vehicle
2023 Rockwood GeoPro 20BHS
77Travco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 03:16 PM   #51

Ford Super Duty Owner
As soon as you said camping world.....my leg started to shake........
Looks like your setup heights are ok. (3", 4" as per Blue Ox).
Cross your safety cables, hook up break away cable directly to coach hitch.
Enjoy your travels.
Tlmr4784 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 03:16 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cyber71 View Post
When I first bought my Blue Ox I needed a 4 inch drop receiver for my 2004 Southwind.
My Ellipse and Horizon are level without a drop receiver
I would just measure the distance at the receiver and at the tabs.
If it’s more than 3 inches, just get a 2 inch drop receiver, they are cheap.
Also, your cables should not be hanging down like they are.
You should follow blue ox recommendation on the cables and wrap them around the unit crisscrossed.
Camping World should have given you a walkthrough after they put it on. How to attach and detach correctly

Watch this.
It’s great instruction video
https://youtu.be/f7Rr6Gsz11Q

Another video
https://youtu.be/k9dg6z2wX0k
I used to wrap the coiled cables around the arms, but no longer do that, as I found it to be unsafe. I had an occasion where one of the coils got under a release lever and unlocked it. If I had to do emergency braking, it could have been disastrous. The manual calls for them not to be wrapped around the arms - I follow that now.
Old 06-17-2021, 03:26 PM   #53

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:

Looks fine to me. Best having the car side below the bus side. You cross the cables to cradle the hitch if it becomes disconnected.
jacktextor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 03:40 PM   #54

If yor jeep has no wobble have fun and enjoy your camping
crawford111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 03:59 PM   #55

I only scanned all the posts and think only one mentioned front end geometry. In most, but not all cases, the location of the tow bar on the Toad is above the center of gravity. So if the bar rises any at all up to the MH you are essentially lifting the front end of the toad when towin it. The more the rise the more the lift. That will cause the front wheels to change camber and increase wear on the outside of the tires.

I started mine with only a 2 inch rise, but that caused the drop hitch to drag on the payment when going up an incline, several times. Once high centering it and we had to use jacks and blocks to get it free. I moved to a 3 inch rise and reduced the problem but still came darn close to getting it stuck. I am now at 3.5 inches and have yet to drag the receiver but the tire wear I mentioned is not bad but noticeable. So I rotate the tires after every long trip.

One fix would be to lift the toad. But most lift kits also change the geometry. There are several band aide fixes to that but sometimes the only true fix is to get a lift kit that includes a new spindle, i.e. lots of dollars.

Another fix would be to connect the toad to the bar at a higher location, I have the highest location among all the manufactures, so that would be a custom job.

Finally a fix would be to relocate the receiver on the MH to be closer to the axle and that went on my round-to-it list several years ago, it is a long list. I think I can move it about 10 inches before worring about the Toad hitting the MH when making a tight corner.

Like with many RV issues it is a matter of compromise or what I like to call the least replusive option,

While I am posting I want to pass on a warning. We bought our MH new. The receiver is held on by four bolts on each side (no welds), with the bracket on top of the frame rail and the nuts underneath. After about 15k miles, when hooking up the toad I notice that the receiver seemed to be a little loose. Much more than I would expect as I assumed it was welded on. It turns out that of the eight nuts, two where tight (more firm than tight) and four were completely missing. So if you are told to check everything, check everything.

However, I crawl under the rig to check once a year and have yet to encounter a loose nut. Even after traveling to Alaska and back. Makes one wonder how diligent the manufacturer was.
pokgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 04:44 PM   #56

Gulf Streamers Club
My RoadMaster Sterling All-Terrain came with an owners operation and installation manual and on page 10 it says plus or minus 3". I am sure all the other tow bar manufacturers have owners manuals for their equipment. [Moderator Edit]