RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-29-2020, 01:51 PM   #29

Quote:
Old Guy Dave Here
That is why there are so many different types of RVs *MHs,TCs,THs,TTs,FWs, Popups, tents etc
And so many different RVrs

Choices --- who/what/how

It's ALL GOOD

Simple.
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-29-2020, 02:18 PM   #30
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridastorm View Post
Wow, seems as though I ruffled some feathers which was definitely not my intention. I honestly was curious why someone would want to tow a vehicle behind a Class C.
Maybe it's just Coviditis. I thought it was a completely reasonable question.

For example, I have never understood why people pay good money, a lot of money, to have a pergola installed.

I mean, what is the point of just having some rafters installed over your outside patio or deck? It's not going to keep the rain off and it could give you stripes instead of a tan. It feels like building a house and forgetting to put the roof on.

Different stripes for different folks, I guess.

Ray
Old 11-29-2020, 02:38 PM   #31

Hey, people will argue for days about what kind of oil to use.

I think the subject line may have given the wrong impression "I have never understood" is often taken as disapproval. People may have formed their opinion of your post right then and never even gotten to the last sentence where you tried to explain that you're just curious.

It would be nice if people could all just accept that we're all different with different wants and needs.
Old 12-03-2020, 04:07 PM   #32

The same reason I don't understand why a person wouldn't have a toad. I'm late to the conversation. But, once I'm set up I don't want to tear down until I leave a park for good. Besides, it feels good to go run around in a smaller vehicle. I like my jeep..... Like what was said, to each their own. No right or wrong, personal preference.
LifeSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 04:20 PM   #33

The top doesn’t go down on my mobile toilet-sofa when I want to go sight seeing
GOLDandGREY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 04:29 PM   #34

Different strokes for different folks

Pushed by a KITTY KAT
wallynm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 05:03 PM   #35

As many have sited here, it's up to the needs and desires of the individuals....We personally like options and don't mind real "camping"...in fact, camping is part of the fun for us as "roughing it" is a ingredient of the recipe. Plus, It gives us much more freedom. Now, this being said, you'll never finds out in the dunes, or on a heinous gravel mountain back road. But, you will find us at a truck stop for an over night, a public use campground, and, maybe an occasional RV park. There's something wonderful about cooking dinner over a fire and just hanging out in Nature.
Here's what we would take, our 20ft 1980 Travel Craft (fixed up now-old picture):

If we decided to take a toad, it would have to be our 1970 Opel GT...yes-we need a shoehorn to get in it but it's fantastic and we love it-a similar photo of ours:

Just adding my 2 Cents.....
Roadgypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 05:05 PM   #36

My MH is to provide me with great accommodation while I get my Jeep to the destination for site seeing and wheeling. Its a base camp.

If I'm driving around a new area and come across a interesting looking dirt road I can go check it out with any fear of issues..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200711_102819.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	364.9 KB
ID:	310179  
2004 Magna 42' 3 slide Chalet CC#6315M
C-15, 515HP 1650tq.
caryt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 05:11 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudiDudi View Post
You forgot to mention that, along with disconnecting water and power, you also need to put up the stabilizers (not all are electric) and pickup the leveling blocks. Do you want to leave that spendy EMS on the power pole when gone? One must also hope that no one takes your site when gone.
Don't forget to put the slide or slides in, pack the chairs and any other stuff back into the RV and fold and put away any portable solar panels. Oh, and don't forget to wind up the electric connection and put it back, along with the water hose and any dump hose you might have set up.
AJMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 05:13 PM   #38

Quote:
Wow, seems as though I ruffled some feathers which was definitely not my intention. I honestly was curious why someone would want to tow a vehicle behind a Class C. I imagine that folks get a Class C, instead of a Class A, because it is easily maneuvered around areas that a car can maneuver in. I have also seen very few motor homes, either Class C or Class A, where there was a vehicle being towed. Possibly in certain areas more than others where this is prevalent. I did have a 25 foot Class A a few years ago and never towed anything. Was able to drive it just about anywhere with little problem. Since towing something behind a motor home makes the length so much longer and thus less safe, to include lower gas mileage, and hooking up and unhooking, I would think that many people would not want to put up with that. Maybe I am wrong about that.

Please accept my apologizes if I inadvertently sounded accusatory. It was simply a way to determine why something was done when I could not see the necessity of it. As such I do respect the reasoning that some of you put forward.

Old Guy Dave Here
A lot of people (myself included) get frustrated at how closed-minded some people can be by assuming that everyone uses their RV or anything else for that matter, the same exact way as them. I’ll give you an example... I recently posted to ask about adding a quick water fill to my RV as I use it primarily as a tow vehicle for a drag race operation so I am often filling up at a racetrack and sometimes forced to pump water in from a 55 gallon drum. I didn’t really get a single helpful suggestion, only several pages of discussion as to why I would need to rush and how I should just slow down and embrace the easygoing RV lifestyle. The same thing happens on an old Corvette forum I frequent- someone asks a question about upgrading something and the thread turns into a debate about why you’d want to do that! I give you credit for at least starting your own topic to ask rather than injecting opinions onto someone’s thread about towing, but I’d be willing to bet that forgetting that not everyone works, plays, relaxes, explores, or thinks the same way you do is what ruffled the feathers!
BD104X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 05:24 PM   #39

Depending on the size of your Class C or B, the biggest issues are, of course, parking, MPG, and narrow scenic roads. But if you don't mind walking longer distances from available parking to your destination, and paying for more gas, go ahead and skip the toad. But, as for me, I want a nice toad.
roblaura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 08:27 PM   #40

Quote:
.......the need for a toad with a Class C or Class B. You drive from point A to an RV park in comfort; bathroom, food, drink, and relaxing at rest stops. You hook up electric and water in the RV park (5 minutes). When ready you unhook electric and water (5 minutes) and go out for the day sightseeing in comfort; bathroom, food, drink, and stopping to relax throughout the day from time to time. Using a car to go out sightseeing for the day entails seeking out facilities, eating in restaurants, and not having a place where you can relax in air conditioned or heated comfort when stopped. I am just trying to figure out what benefit there is to towing a car around with you and then leave the class c in the park just to drive around all day in a car where you have little to no comfort or facilities. I can see towing a small car when you have a Class A due to the difficulty maneuvering with a Class A. Not trying to be difficult or question anyone that does have a toad with their Class C or B. Each to his own I say. Just curious.
This is exactly why we just sold the Phaeton...we want a smaller rig, 23-25’, probably a sprinter chassis or perhaps the new Ekko from Winnebago, so we have something small enough to tour in but big enough to relax in, and no toad.
RamblingRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 08:43 PM   #41

We went for 3 years in our 31 ft C class without a toad. Bought a Jeep Wrangler from our daughter for a toad - best decision we made. We don't bring the toad for a 1 or 2 night weekend near home. Traveled the West coast for 4 months in 2019 with the toad. Agree with the other comments about breaking down camp each day to sight see or go to the store without a toad. The 4 down is an easy tow and almost no difference in mpg except when climbing mountains.
JLRanch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 08:49 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdInArk View Post
It sounds like the OP is perfectly happy without a toad.

I'm perfectly happy with a toad.

I'm not seeing anything to discuss

All kidding aside, we should do what makes us comfortable. We tried traveling with a Class C and no toad, and it was a royal pain in the posterior. And we simply couldn't get to some of the places we wanted to go.
We did a few trips with our first small class A without a toad many, many years ago. Toad was a Jeep Grand Cherokee. Didn't like being without the / a Jeep. Haven't gone without a toad in the last 30+ years.
Kountry_star is offline   Reply With Quote