Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-27-2020, 04:01 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine36 View Post
I may or may not know of at least two times a toad in low range may have pushed a class c to the nearest off ramp...

That would be a Gas Pusher.
Wrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-27-2020, 04:13 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrascal View Post
That would be a Gas Pusher.

1993 Rockwood 28' Class C - Ford E-350 7.5L
Bobby F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 04:24 PM   #17

Great post for #3 on the forum.
Welcome to the forum.
Old 11-27-2020, 06:10 PM   #18

Alpine36

Please , elaborate .

Not that I would take any joy from your pain , but "Misery love's company".

QUOTE=Alpine36;5536040]I may or may not know of at least two times a toad in low range may have pushed a class c to the nearest off ramp...[/QUOTE]
Bill Gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 06:28 PM   #19

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Gail View Post
Alpine36

Please , elaborate .

Not that I would take any joy from your pain , but "Misery love's company".

QUOTE=Alpine36;5536040]I may or may not know of at least two times a toad in low range may have pushed a class c to the nearest off ramp...
[/QUOTE]

Sure, A good friends 26' class C, Ford V10 had two complete transmission failures, both were the transmission rebuilders incompetence btw.
Once he pushed it to a safe area on the shoulder of I-90, about 1/4 mile. The other time he pushed it to the nearest off ramp, on I-5, almost a mile! The tow truck operator was thankful, but also thought he was a little nuts. JeepCJ-5 with a heavy old school home made tow bar. I wouldn't recommend this maneuver, but it can be done.
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 06:45 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podivin View Post
Not to mention everything inside the RV that needs to get put away and/or secured for travel.
Ultimately you (or I) don't have to understand why someone wants to bring a toad with a smaller RV. They understand why they do it, and that's really all that matters. It's not their responsibility to please those around them, or even to defend the choices they make.
I think this is the best answer that it is not our business also I agree that there are a lot place you can’t take a Motorhome of any size.
Old 11-28-2020, 05:28 AM   #21

We do a lot of hiking. Many trailheads are too small for parking a motorhome. Even where one would fit, it would be very rude to park it there as one would end up taking up most of the parking with it.
Old 11-28-2020, 05:50 AM   #22

Entegra Owners Club
I would destroy a class C where I take my toad. We take back roads to go fishing , old logging road to go wildlife viewing, off road trails in Moab, places where Good Sam's and Coach net will not come get you when a person gets stuck. It really depends on how a person uses a toad. We RV to enjoy America, if I wanted to go shopping, I'd stay home.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 07:44 AM   #23

I boondock almost exclusively in the desert. I may travel over several miles of washboard road to get to my preferred spot. Once settled in, I like to go explore which I can’t do in the RV.
I was once at an RV park and didn’t take the Jeep. I was in a touristy area with a narrow street through the main area of town. It was a PITA trying to not hit or be hit by sightseeing drivers. None of the parking areas were geared for a 30’ motor home so I had to park blocks from where I wanted to visit.
I’ll never go without a toad.
sgpd1sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 08:13 AM   #24

Tiffin Owners Club
And I don’t understand the couple parked next to us towing an Escalade for just the two of them. Or another couple who never left the RV park (and the wife never left the coach) for the several days we were there. Or the folks who take hours to setup because every cubic inch of storage is packed tight. Or, well, you get the idea.

We all do it our own way. There are no “right” answers when it comes to how we enjoy the RV lifestyle. People choose what works for them, and the “why” is none of my or anyone else’s business.

We towed a Wrangler behind our 25’ coach and now our 34 footer. You can’t drive even a small coach over Engineer pass or to Yankee Boy basin to photograph the wildflowers. It was nice to have a way home when we lost the motorhome’s tranny and had to be towed off the top of Berthoud pass. There are myriad other reasons we tow, but the bottom line is the toad lets us do what we like to do after we’ve parked the bus someplace wonderful.

Regards,

Randy
groswald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 10:39 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
You don't need to understand.

Get over it.

Exactly and very much nicer than how I was tempted to reply.
Old 11-28-2020, 10:49 AM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Some don't understand flow Dynamics either - but, to each his own...
I can recall we had a Winnebago LeSharo ( a compliment to call it a class B even ) and we towed a CJ-5 behind it
Old 11-28-2020, 10:58 AM   #27

OP....
What works for you is GREAQT
DO it your way and go camping

For ME...
I would prefer a 'toad' for sightseeing IF I had any size MH

Personally I prefer a TRUCK and 5th wheel
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 12:36 PM   #28

Wow, seems as though I ruffled some feathers which was definitely not my intention. I honestly was curious why someone would want to tow a vehicle behind a Class C. I imagine that folks get a Class C, instead of a Class A, because it is easily maneuvered around areas that a car can maneuver in. I have also seen very few motor homes, either Class C or Class A, where there was a vehicle being towed. Possibly in certain areas more than others where this is prevalent. I did have a 25 foot Class A a few years ago and never towed anything. Was able to drive it just about anywhere with little problem. Since towing something behind a motor home makes the length so much longer and thus less safe, to include lower gas mileage, and hooking up and unhooking, I would think that many people would not want to put up with that. Maybe I am wrong about that.

Let me qualify something. I am 80 and my wife is 72. We cannot spend hours at a time stuck in a car. It's just too uncomfortable. With a small Class C, no longer than 25 feet, we can drive anywhere in comfort as we have full facilities available at all times. We are not Boondockers and are just not physically able to wander off the beaten path. Walmart's and many RV Parks are not ideal for us although better RV parks are fine. Over the last few years, when going away for a few days, we have stayed at AIRbnb's. When we finally do purchase another MH we may just stay at AIRbnb's. Many AIRbnb's are not much more expensive than some RV parks. Again, we like traveling in a MH for the comfort and convenience no matter where we spend the night.

Please accept my apologizes if I inadvertently sounded accusatory. It was simply a way to determine why something was done when I could not see the necessity of it. As such I do respect the reasoning that some of you put forward.

Old Guy Dave Here
Floridastorm is offline   Reply With Quote