Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-09-2015, 06:06 PM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
I need to buy a tow dolly- Acme or EZ Tow??

I have read the postings regarding ‘dolly towing’ ad nauseum and I would like to know the answers to the following questions; NO CMMENTS, only if you own the products mentioned - NOTHING about 4 down vs Dolly towing - as Joe Friday said: Nothing but the facts.

Is a dolly that steers better than a model that ‘invert steers’ ? ie Acme Tow Dolly vs ???

If you have a vehicle that has ‘memory seating positions’ and multiple radio settings for satellite or FM stations – how did you handle this. It does not seem to be a good idea to pull a fuse or battery cable. Products or methods only please.

My 2011 Hyundai Azera ‘locks’ so if the key is turned off it will not ‘invert steer’. It has memory seating and multiple satellite radio settings. If I want to use this car as a ‘toad’ is the EZ Tow a better choice than the ACME unit? I only have 35K on this car so really do not plan to trade it but might use it.

I like to buy and sell used cars in order to get a good one so my only option is ‘dolly towing’.

My toad choices would be a convertible- Beetle, VW Eos, Audi, Mini, Volvo, or maybe a Pontiac G6, or a Fiat. All units must be automatic as my ‘better half’ never learned and will not learn to drive a standard. Hence the need for front wheel drive automatic.

I would really like to buy the Acme as it is made ‘just down the road’ but I do not have any expertise with wiring up a battery/memory module’ all I want to do is tow a car that I can use when I arrive at a new destination,

Thanks for any help given.
seb1899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-09-2015, 11:06 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We have an Acme EZE-Tow...that's the same thing. These are not different dolly's.
Acme "EZE-TOW" Tow Dolly - Car Tow Dolly

The EZE-Tow (by Acme) can be ordered with no brakes, electric brakes or surge brakes (what we have - brakes strongly recommended).

As you wrote, the EZE-Tow needs the car's steering to pivot to negotiate turns (just like flat towing). This is done by unlocking the steering while loading the car on the dolly - then leaving it unlocked.

If your car has a keyless ignition, the easiest way to over-ride the steering lock is to pull (only) the fuse that feeds power to the steering lock solenoid (might take some hunting).

If the car has a key, then it is often as simple as shutting off the car's engine and leaving the key in the keyhole - in the off position.

Sorry - we have no experience with the memory key cars, but it "shouldn't" be an issue.

We found 3 main benefits to the EZE-Tow design*:
~The fixed frame (EZE-Tow) style dolly is simple. There are no extra parts like the pivot pan to maintain or fix.
~There is a large weigh savings (the new ones are now under 400lb - SO EZE to roll around and can be stood-up on end to store). There is no extra steel needed, like for a pivot pan.
~And, the EZE-Tow cannot impact the side of the car with the dolly fender. A pivot pan dolly will have a mechanical stop to prevent impact, but this could break in a jack-knife situation.

*We rented U-Haul dollies 3 times and borrowed a Master Tow brand before buying - just to be sure we would be OK with dolly towing. The EZE-Tow works like a fine hammer - It's just SO simple for us to use.

Hope this helps.
Safe travels

P.S. Richard Brown (owner) and his staff are really good people! No Joke. They are there to help if needed. And, if you go there to get your dolly, they will help you set it up, including how to keep the steering unlocked...no joke.

P.P.S. We are not affiliated with Acme...their dolly just works for us.
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 05:15 AM   #3

The Acme "EZE-TOW" Tow Dolly

Please watch the video that auto plays on our home page. It very specifically answers all this questions in detail. A simple 9 volt battery memory saver saves all settings. Follow the instructions about steering lock and you probably do not even have to disable the power anyway. The video is very detailed and specific.
It will answer all these questions and more.

Acme "EZE-TOW" Tow Dolly - Car Tow Dolly

Thanks. Happy and Safe Motoring.....

Richard Brown
EZE Tow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 02:03 PM   #4

I need to buy a tow dolly- Acme or EZ Tow??

You can also install a switch on the ignition (etrailer sells them) so you can leave the key in without killing the battery. I have found on my Corvette, which I pull the battery frequently, that most of the memory remains. Also, with the seat,etc., if you don't change it, when power is reapplied simply store the position.

Not sure about disabling the solenoid, the BCM may be looking for the power draw of actuation.

PS: Very happy with my ACME EZE Tow dolly.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 02:40 PM   #5

I have an Eze Tow and my Murano has a locking steering column. I solve this when setting up by pulling the fuse for the electric steering column lock. I can the keep the ignition switch off and the wheel does not lock. It's a bit of a pain to do but certainly less work than disconnecting the battery and dealing with any possible memory loss on radios or seat positions. I don't recall where I saw it but some company sells a switching device that allows you to put a fuse shaped plug in the fuse box and a wire runs to the dashboard with a switch that allows you to put the car in "tow mode" without having to pull the fuse.
Old 06-10-2015, 04:08 PM   #6

I've towed three different cars behind my Workhorse-based motorhome -- a 94 Geo Metro, an 07 Toyota Yaris (both towed flat because they were manual shift), and now a 2015 Hyundai Accent on an EZE Tow. In all of these cars you could turn on the ignition then turn it off and leave the key in, and the column wouldn't lock. Had a problem putting the Hyundai on the dolly because the front end hit the high lip on the front of the dolly. I have the Accent Sport, which may sit lower than the base model because of its low profile tires. Had to lay 2x10's on the dolly under the tires to raise the car 1.5" and clear the lip. I've read of people with other small cars having the same problem. Be extra cautious the first time you put your car on the dolly.
Dan Paymar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 05:14 AM   #7

The Acme "EZE-TOW" Tow Dolly

We sell hundreds of dollies a month. several thousand a year. Once or twice a year we here a comment from someone that is having a clearance issue with their car. Usually because of low profile tires or an under engine cover. Contrary to the statement that a lot of people have that issue, in fact only a few a year have that issue. Most clearance issues can be resolved by adjusting the ball height.
If you encounter any clearance issues consult with us and we will advise you on all your options to resolve the matter. The most important clearance issues are with attached ramps. They create a lot of clearance issues.
EZE Tow is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dolly, tow, tow dolly