Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-19-2018, 11:39 AM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
I need to rant...

...if you don't want to read this, run away now.

This is regarding Camping World.

I had a complete towing package installed on my new Jeep Cherokee last June. The first trip was to Texas to retrieve my new coach, all went well. The second trip was September and we had some problems with the Jeep, the battery was dead upon arrival and the running lights would not work. I was a little confused as these are not related issues. Did some troubleshooting, nothing found.

Cut to the chase, after 2 more trips the electrical issues were compounding. It was recommended that I visit Dan's Service Center in Elkhart. Could not have been more pleased with their service. Had the issue diagnosed and repaired in a few hours, and at a VERY affordable fee.

The culprit was a corroded connector for the 6 way. Problem was, it was corroded from the back, could not be seen till it was removed. Tech said worse he had seen, looked like it was in an ocean environment. He said they normally add dielectric grease to the back to keep this from occurring.

Contacted Camping World about the issue and was told this was a normal failure and that neither Road Master nor Blue Ox recommends putting dielectric compound in the plug. Not apologetic, not helpful, took no responsibility for the problems.

Called Blue Ox to ask what they recommend to help prevent this since they don't recommend using the grease. I was told that was not correct! They ACTUALLY recommend adding the grease to prevent this exact problem. So not only did Camping World not accept responsibility for this problem, but they LIED TO ME about the recommendations.

I will never go to Camping World for any service again.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WIN_20180617_12_56_42_Pro.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	154.2 KB
ID:	207738   Click image for larger version

Name:	WIN_20180617_12_57_15_Pro.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	177.9 KB
ID:	207739  

"If you ain't the lead dog, the view never changes".
paparazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2018, 11:54 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Saw a big muckity muck from CW on Mad Money a couple weeks ago. If I could, I would have through things through the TV at him.

He tried to explain the purchase of Gander Mountain as a way to get deeper into the upper midwest markets. I would just like them to concentrate on customer service because that is what will get them a loyal following of experienced RVers.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 01:08 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Yup, I might buy TP from them; but I will never use them for service again. After talking to Blue Ox they were kind enough to tell me that CW is not an authorized sales or service facility for Blue Ox products. Would have liked to know that in advance.
Old 06-19-2018, 01:12 PM   #4

Does Blue Ox actually have it in writing? preferably in the instructions. If not, its tough to say CW did it wrong.

Dielectric grease has lots of uses, but also some disadvantages. Namely in that it attracts dirt and crud. If not done right, can trap water in the connection, and is not compatible with all rubbers. In the Army, the directions were that it should not be used, unless the directions called for it.
Old 06-19-2018, 01:50 PM   #5

My old RoadMaster Sterling came w a power cord. I had need to remove the MH end plug and found the rubber boot was filled w silicone RTV sealant. Worked very well... never an issue after 12yrs of towing. I did the same on my new Toad plug when I installed my base plate and wiring.
Same when I added tail/turn bulbs at rear... RTV to seal them.
I'll do it myself before having CW touch toad or MH for any service or install.

If I can't or don't want to do it I have 2 private shops I trust and work with.
Both charge about half the CW rate and do a better job I can count on. I sometimes give them a little extra as a satisfied customer... we are both happy and I'm glad to help the little guys stay in business nd be successful.
One always calls me when an inspection is coming due to avoid last minute or worse forgeting it... nice touch.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 08:27 PM   #6

Did they install the shrink wrap over the cable connection at the rear of the plug?....should have covered the cable and the rear of the plug assembly. I used the Cool Tech cable harness with my Blue ox base plate and it comes with heat shrink wrap for the cable connection to the rear of the plug....looks like it makes a solid seal.

Paul
StaRVGazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 12:00 AM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
[QUOTE=Superburban;4249195]Does Blue Ox actually have it in writing? preferably in the instructions. If not, its tough to say CW did it wrong.

Agreed; but when I called this issue out to Blue Ox CS, the engineer said specifically they recommend a dielectric compound as a moisture inhibitor and a tape or shrink tube on the end of their enclosure to help protect from moisture.
Old 06-20-2018, 12:05 AM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
This was captured from their own product page.

Blue Ox Accessories and Parts - BX88206
Quickly and easily connect your towed vehicle to your RV with this durable, insulated electrical cable. Includes car-side 6-way, round plug.

Features:

6-Wire extension cord can be used for multiple towing applications
Perfect for running power from your RV to your towed vehicle
Included 6-way, round, female plug mounts to towed vehicle for quick, easy hookup
Coiled cable can expand to 7', yet still contracts to prevent dragging and tangling
Silicone-encased wire connections prevent corrosion
Wire: 16 gauge (Ground wire - 14 gauge)
Made in the USA
1-Year warranty
Old 06-20-2018, 12:16 AM   #9

But if Blue OX, does not put it in the instructions, it won't get done. I doubt they would really like having all the mechanics calling them up to ask all their recommendations. (of course, we could also discuss how much weight a recommendation carries).

Unless it is in writing, you cannot say CW did anything wrong.
Old 06-20-2018, 10:22 AM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
A friend had his oil changed in his Class A DP at CW and they left the cap off the oil fill and the funnel still sticking in the oil fill. He had driven about 40 miles and had oil all over the back of the coach and low oil level. Call CW and the was told that it was his fault since didn't check the work was done to make sure it was done correctly.
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 10:34 AM   #11

Same scenario here for work done on my rig at Camping World in San Martin, Ca (when I lived in Gilroy). Totally screwed up my electric brake, killed one of the dual batteries in my diesel pickup, had acid leak into the brake unit, under the dash, etc, etc. When they "fixed" it, replaced with the wrong battery, cut and refit my battery cable to new battery, with wrong type of posts. That was the last time I ever had CW do any work on anything I owned. Seems nothing has changed over the years.
HighDesert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 11:01 AM   #12
YC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superburban View Post
Does Blue Ox actually have it in writing? preferably in the instructions. If not, its tough to say CW did it wrong.

Dielectric grease has lots of uses, but also some disadvantages. Namely in that it attracts dirt and crud. If not done right, can trap water in the connection, and is not compatible with all rubbers. In the Army, the directions were that it should not be used, unless the directions called for it.

Spot on. In most of Calif it is dry so corrosion is not such an issue. In Florida it comes down in buckets.

How did the moisture get in there? The wires need to drop down a bit to create a drip loop.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 08:38 AM   #13

The exact thing happened to me.I replaced the plug with a molded plug from e trailer.When i had original plug installed everything was fine till i drove in the rain.Then next day i had gremlins in my lights.Thought i was going crazy,lights flickering fading on and off.You imagine it and it happened.
Tjbass1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 11:10 AM   #14

Slightly off topic but not exactly, since you found the electrical plug corroded make sure you check the electric breakaway switch that should be installed on the toad. When I tested mine by pulling the pin out I found the inside of the switch was corroded and not working. There are several types of them, some being "weather resistant" and "water resistant". My new one now has a rubber "O" ring on the plunger to keep the water out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Breakaway Switch.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	20.5 KB
ID:	207990  
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote