Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-28-2018, 06:57 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I have a Roadmaster Sterling aluminum tow bar. It's pretty light and an all terrain unit with an 8000 capacity. The EZ5 base plate brackets just twist into the mount.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-28-2018, 07:46 AM   #16

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasL View Post
X2
I also have the Ready Brake tow bar. It has advantages over ANY other tow bar in that it is a tow bar and TOAD BRAKE at the same time.

Pros:

The braking is proportional to the braking rate applied to the towing vehicle. It NEVER brakes too hard and ALWAYS brakes when required.

I've had mine for about 10 years and towed my Jeep about 40K miles in that time. Ready Brake never gave me a problem.

It stores on the back of the motorhome.

It can be ordered to match any name brand base plate on the market.

Considering that it is a tow bar AND braking system it is less expensive than many options where purchasing the braking system is a separate cost.

Cons:

It requires some minor installation on the vehicle to be towed.

It is heavier than many of the other tow bars so inserting it into the receiver hitch on your MH may be difficult.

The bottom line...I Love It!

Old 08-28-2018, 08:22 AM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Blue Ox, Roadmaster, and ReadyBrake have adapters so you can mix and match components.

On my Honda Fit, I found I liked Blue Ox baseplate better because it mostly disappears into the grill. I ended up with a Blue Ox tow bar because of cost. My preference was the Roadmaster Nighthawk but at the time it was $400 more. If my Blue Ox dies someday I'll likely go to the Roadmaster Nighthawk.

Like others have said, after a few times you'll find you can set up and takedown with relative ease.

As to performance, the Blue Ox has towed great but then I only have about 5,000 miles on my setup.
Old 08-28-2018, 08:36 AM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Spartan Chassis
Were installing Blueox baseplate,Roadmaster Night Hawk and RVI3. Pretty simple and easy to setup
Bojets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 03:55 PM   #19

I have the Falcon 2 tow bar and the Roadmaster baseplate on my Chevy Sonic. NO spreader bar. The spreader bar (as I remember) is not a requirement unless you want to add things like rock guards. The towbar arms attach directly to the base plate removable arms. Easy peasey hookup and detach. I’m selling the Sonic for a Jeep and will use the same model baseplate for the Jeep. If you go with Roadmaster take a look at the EZ5 models for your car.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 04:23 PM   #20

I also have the ready brute elite . Great setup so easy. I have the blue ox base plate. I tow A wrangler or a liberty Jeep.
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 07:00 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildtoad View Post
If you go with Roadmaster take a look at the EZ5 models for your car.
I will probably just stick with the Roadmaster that I already have, now that I have a better understanding of it. They only show one baseplate for my 2007 Edge, and it is the square hole design. I can live with that.
GeorgeandTheBear is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow