Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-30-2019, 03:34 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutmeg View Post
My last step before towing is to push by hand my toad backwards until one of the tow bar arms locks (Blue OX). Confirmation the drive train is free and the brakes are off.
That's a great idea. We always do a sight check of brake lights, blinkers and rolling before we go but I'm sometimes alone and don't have this option. Pushing it by hand to take out slack is great.
Vicky H is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-30-2019, 03:41 PM   #44

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Our toad hookup sequence is basically 11 checkpoints. I count them off after I hook up.

Then, three more to ready the car for towing:

Parking Brake OFF
Ignition switch turned to Unlock (not Acc or ON)
Shifter in Neutral.

Oh yeah, and check the brake lights!

When parked for the night, I have a sign I printed and laminated that attaches to the MH steering wheel that says "CAR CHECK!" Saved me more than once.
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 03:46 PM   #45

OH no, not alone.

After towing a toad for tens of thousands of miles, this happened: As we were driving down the freeway a car pulled up alongside and pointed at us (I thinks towards the rear). Couldn’t understand them but figured we better pull over and check things out. As soon as I got out of the motorhome I could smell burned rubber. Walked back and saw smoke and then the front tires. Or what was left of them. You guessed it. Forgot to put key in aux position!! Something broke my routine and somehow I missed it. Right front totally shredded/disintegrated. Amazing that we didn’t have a fire. That could have been real bad. Cost us 4 new tires (backs were ok but decided to keep a set as we drive this toad a lot.). We also fried to left wheel bearing. That got expensive. We tow a Honda Fit 5 speed manual. Great tow car! You would never know its back there.........till it explodes ha ha! (Ok a little exaggeration) It’s amazing how we towed it at least 10 miles with absolutely no indication of a problem. Well, looks like we put tire monitors on the list. And maybe a dedicated tow car camera.
Roadyacht1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 03:51 PM   #46

Your not alone
Mikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 04:16 PM   #47

Because of the number of items to be done when hooking up our ‘13 Honda CR-V, I created a checklist similar to the type found in an aircraft cockpit (cycling transmission, idle in N for 3 minutes, close all windows, HVAC set to Recirculate, key in ACC position, steering wheel free, aux brake installed and setup sequence initiated, etc etc.). However, a checklist is only as good as the driver is in using it... every time, no short cuts.

So, no, you are not alone. Just add to the LONG list of possible departure blunders. Pilots have a saying about those flying with retractable landing gear: “There are only two kinds of [retract] pilots... those who have landed gear up, and those who will.
walt_embree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 04:17 PM   #48

Apologies if this has been mentioned-I admit I didn't read the whole thread:

When starting out, I always have the volume turned up on the rear camera. That way I can hear (and see) if anything is out of place in the back. Saved me just once, but yes, it happens.
SageCrispin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 04:18 PM   #49

Tiffin Owners Club
Rule number 1, make a check list and never, never not check it no matter how far or what you are doing - most often if you don't check you list you may miss something if you haven't done it in awhile. I have a checklist in my toad & my motorhome and guess what my lovely wife who's brake off, in Neutral, ACC on so I have 3 checks. I guess the bottom line my wife keeps me honest to make sure I use my checklist. Glad it didn't turn out bad for you.
willbush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 04:25 PM   #50

Talking Check list

May I suggest making a check list for each process you go through?
This is also a reason to not 'visit' with a person doing any kind of thing re RV.
Old 06-30-2019, 04:48 PM   #51

I use a checklist so that I can remember what needs doing because I have CRS (Can't Remember Stuff). It's something to think about.
Hogdog95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 04:49 PM   #52

Get a clipboard and make up a checklist.
Its all about procedure!
No matter how many times you so it!
After getting under way on a trip, I’d always start second guessing myself as to having toad set up right.
No more....got my checklist right next to me on the console. No worries now!
Cheers!
Spdstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 04:49 PM   #53

Tiffin open road

I always have my wife check the wheels on the toad
When I pull out to make sure they are free wheeling
Tiogaray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 04:58 PM   #54

Country Coach Owners Club
don't feel bad we all in one way or another do some bonehead things look at it this way you did not start your trip off on a bad note
GOD BLESS THE USA & safe travels, Rick
roadking1217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 05:09 PM   #55

No, you're the only person ever in the history of the world to do that! However, I did it once, but I was pulling out of my site which was gravel - no recorded damage.
StageCoachDr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 05:19 PM   #56

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDi View Post
Maybe it was my training as a pilot in the Air Force, but I use checklists for everything on my MH. It has saved me making some stupid mistakes. If it's not checked off....it hasn't been done.
I have a laminated checklist. One side has motor home tasks - inside & outside. The other side has toad tasks - transfer case in neutral? push Jeep back to lock tow bar, if it can't be pushed figure out why, check lights, & set up RVI brake.

All items on the checklist must be checked with a dry erase marker before we can move the MH. My wife always watches the toad to make sure wheels go round and round, the tow bar extends and locks, and that the steering wheel moves.

I too learned the hard way - burnt up the transmission in a GEO Tracker because the transfer case was not in neutral. That incident convinced me to create a checklist, now we have not had any incidents, no antennas left up or electrical cords left plugged in, or toads left in gear or toad parking brake left on. Too many things to try and remember them all. All I have to remember is where I put the checklist :-)
NMBluept is offline   Reply With Quote