Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-24-2018, 10:20 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Ideas for boat launch?

I have opportunity to purchase a couple of seadoo's on a tandem trailer.
I was wondering if anyone ever launched boat with motorhome?
billgallivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-24-2018, 10:33 AM   #2

It can be done. You will need help as a short trailer plus not being able to see the trailer will get tricky.
MikeO58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 10:37 AM   #3

I haven't yet, but I just picked up a 20 ft pontoon boat and trailer.

Seen a few folks do it, up by the Salmon River, during bass season.

They make trailer tongue extensions that you clamp on, before backing down, to keep the RV up away from the water.

I would only attempt it with a gentle slopping ramp.

With two jet skies, you could use a long rope and guide them down by hand, using the RV as an anchor point.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 10:38 AM   #4

yes, I have. Had class C with hitch mounted on front. Also BIL launched with class A
fletch460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 01:39 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by billgallivan View Post
I have opportunity to purchase a couple of seadoo's on a tandem trailer.
I was wondering if anyone ever launched boat with motorhome?
I have launched ALL our boats with ALL our motorhomes. It's no big deal at all. There are some considerations.

1. How long and wide is the intended boat ramp and, prep turn areas? That is, what kind of preparation might you need, to line up the coach and the trailer, to be able to comfortably back it down the ramp, without looking like a drunk Boa snake slithering backwards?

2. Take notice of the angle of the boat ramp. The steeper the angle, the sooner the boat/jet skis etc. will float off the trailer, without the more delicate parts (electrical trailer plugs) of the coach, entering the water. The shallower the angle, the farther the coach has to back into the water, to float the crafts. Just something to be aware of.

3. About 99.99% of the coaches out there have backup cameras. If you have a short trailer, this will be a tremendous help in backing your shorter trailers. If you have longer trailers, it's not at all, very difficult.

4. Backing a motorhome down a ramp and potentially into the water is not good. But, skirting, i.e. just fiberglass etc. is no bid deal if it gets wet. Your boat/skis should be floating off the trailer long before that but, trailers, long short, and the height the ski's ride on that trailer, make a difference in just when they actually float off the trailer which, is dependent on how far you have to back down the ramp.

Yes, it's been done zillions of times all over the U.S.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 02:40 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
What Scott said, but a hitch on the front makes it a piece of cake.
On our 32' Airex the DW could thread a needle with the trailer. She pulled from and parked the boat in garage. Just stop in a clear spot and swap ends.

With the DP she has me do the backing.
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 06:37 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
thanks

sounds like it shouldn't be a problem,,,
thanks for all the advice
Old 05-25-2018, 08:23 AM   #8

A sling shot with rocker boosters
On the boat should launch it pretty well[emoji848]
iamblum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 08:49 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamblum View Post
A sling shot with rocker boosters
On the boat should launch it pretty well[emoji848]
I bet it would![emoji41]
Old 05-27-2018, 09:50 AM   #10

It depends quite a bit on what the ramps are like. Here in northern California, many, if not most of our lake levels vary significantly and can have long steep ramps. Personally, I wouldn't try to launch on most of them with my motorhome.

In addition, if you do get too far into the water, a motorhome will be much harder and more expensive to retrieve than a pickup or other vehicle.

I'd think of installing some sort of winch arrangement.
BCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 10:16 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
For what it's worth, we have launched forever but rarely retrieved? I have "bribed" others with P/U trucks, with beers, cocktails, food etc... to help me retrieve the boat. I learned this a long time ago from our day trip lake visits where we towed the boat with our P/U truck and other MH owners asked me to help. And I was more than happy to help! With our previous 32' MH, on an F53 chassis, our 5k lb deck boat was a struggle to retrieve. In our current DP, our 7k lb open bow cruiser isn't much issue, but I still prefer either the retrieval service of the marina or again, employ someone close by. Never had any issue and have made great friends along the way. Now, we usually go with a group of friends with MH's, trailers and/or 5'ers who are more than eager to help! More people usually equals more fun. No matter what, just remember to be careful and have a great time!
chinobob is offline   Reply With Quote