Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-06-2020, 06:46 AM   #1

If it's flat towable, it's dolly towable, right?

Hello
Just purchased our first MH and we are planning on making our first voyage, which will be from Oregon to South Carolina. Since I am new to this world of MH's and toads, I am struggling with making a decision on how we should tow our 2016 Ford Expedition 4x4. I know that it is flat-towable, as many of you do as well. However, the cost is a bit overwhelming to set the Expy up for flat towing. Looking at the dolly option, I like the idea of it. I have read through many of the threads on the topic of flat vs. dolly, trailer etc. My main question for the group:
Surely, if the Expy is flat-towable, then it is dolly towable if the same procedure is followed, right?
My logic tells me this is the case, I was hoping that someone here has had experience with dolly-towing a Ford Expedition or F150 to share their experience.
Thanks in advance!
Chris_BlueOx is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-06-2020, 07:00 AM   #2

I would check your manual. My Jeep and Ram are both 4 down towable, but not allowed to be on a dolly.
Leonandlisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 07:06 AM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_BlueOx View Post
My main question for the group:
Surely, if the Expy is flat-towable, then it is dolly towable if the same procedure is followed, right?
My logic tells me this is the case, I was hoping that someone here has had experience with dolly-towing a Ford Expedition or F150 to share their experience.
Thanks in advance!
Hi Chris,

Not necessarily.

What does your Expedition Owner's Manual say regarding recreational towing?

A an example, I flat towed a 2010 Subaru Outback (manual transmission) in compliance with the Owner's Manual instructions. That same Owner's Manual specifically prohibited a dolly tow.

I know that my 2018 Ford Edge is towable four down and dolly, because that's what the Owner's Manual shows. Other 2018 Ford Edge models with a different engine/transmission are not towable four down.

My suggestion is that you should "trust, but, verify" any towing advice you receive here by confirming that advice in your Owner's Manual by the specific engine/transmission on your Expedition.

Take care,
Stu
Old 11-06-2020, 07:07 AM   #4

According to the Ford towing guide neither the RW drive or 4x4 are dolly towable.
Steve-W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 08:45 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-W View Post
According to the Ford towing guide neither the RW drive or 4x4 are dolly towable.
This is very interesting, and good info! Thanks! Actually, even though that isn't what I wanted to hear, it is exactly what I needed. I will also refer to the OM, but that Ford guide is pretty clear. I guess I just don't understand WHY. To me, if the transfer case is in neutral and all 4 can be on the ground, why wouldn't the rear be able to roll freely on a dolly?
Old 11-06-2020, 09:05 AM   #6

Its possable that the transfer case needs to be turning for lubrication.

Towing with it in neutral may not turn the lower gears, which do the splash lubrication.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 09:09 AM   #7

You don't say what motorhome you have.

Is it rated to tow that heavy a toad???
Old 11-06-2020, 09:13 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_BlueOx View Post
This is very interesting, and good info! Thanks! Actually, even though that isn't what I wanted to hear, it is exactly what I needed. I will also refer to the OM, but that Ford guide is pretty clear. I guess I just don't understand WHY. To me, if the transfer case is in neutral and all 4 can be on the ground, why wouldn't the rear be able to roll freely on a dolly?
Transfer case neutral disconnects the T/case from the transmission , not front shaft from rear shaft.

The issue comes down to the interaction of the output shafts ( front and rear driveshafts ) inside the transfer case . Many transfer cases use internal components similar to a differential possitraction unit to distribute power to the driveshafts. Like their differential counterparts these transfer case components don't tolerate large differences in output rotation, let alone one output stopped while the other spins for miles.

New tires on the front axle , with used tires on rear can cause transfer case failure on some 4x4 and most AWD vehicles , the internal components are that sensitive, to shaft rotation differences.
Old 11-06-2020, 09:27 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
No. Jeep Wrangler models are an example.

Check the vehicle owners manual. Typically there is a recreational towing section, or similar.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 11:22 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Same here - our 2006 GMC Acadia AWD was 4-up (trailer) or 4-down, but never on a dolly. The FWD version of the same car could be 4-down or dolly, but not the AWD version. The difference was the AWD torgue splitting mechanism - it couldn't handle two tires locked in place while the other two ran at 60-70 mph.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 11:44 AM   #11
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfe10 View Post
You don't say what motorhome you have.

Is it rated to tow that heavy a toad???
His profile shows a Thor Four Winds 31E but not the year. For the current model year:

Ford GCWR - 22000 lbs
Ford GVWR - 14500 lbs

Apparently the curb weight for a 2016 Ford Expedition 4x4 can approach 6,100 pounds and he has a GCWR - GVWR of 7,500 pounds, if his model year specs are the same as the current model year.

Assuming, of course, he has at least a 7,500 pound hitch and the current model year does have an 8,000 pound hitch.

RVUSA, as a random check, says the 2015 only has a 5,000 pound towing capacity but does not list the GCWR.

Ray
Old 11-06-2020, 01:31 PM   #12

Damon Owners Club
And according the the applicable Ford owners manual, if it doesn't have 4X4 LOW, it's not all 4 down towable either.
Old 11-06-2020, 03:05 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
His profile shows a Thor Four Winds 31E but not the year. For the current model year:

Ford GCWR - 22000 lbs
Ford GVWR - 14500 lbs

Apparently the curb weight for a 2016 Ford Expedition 4x4 can approach 6,100 pounds and he has a GCWR - GVWR of 7,500 pounds, if his model year specs are the same as the current model year.

Assuming, of course, he has at least a 7,500 pound hitch and the current model year does have an 8,000 pound hitch.

RVUSA, as a random check, says the 2015 only has a 5,000 pound towing capacity but does not list the GCWR.

Ray
I have confirmed that the hitch is 8,000 lbs. The towing capacity, from what I can find, is 8,000 lbs.
Old 11-06-2020, 03:10 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryStone View Post
And according the the applicable Ford owners manual, if it doesn't have 4X4 LOW, it's not all 4 down towable either.
Correct, I do believe that is the differentiating factor = 4WD Low.
And mine does have 4L - I also read in the manual how to activate recreational tow, so I know it is 4 down towable.

The explanation of the WHY it can't be towed on a dolly helps. It was the only thing I could think of that would not allow it to be towed on a dolly, so it makes sense. Too bad, I was really hoping to A) not have to install base plates and B) not have to buy a car hauler. I'm thinking tow bar set up it is.

Thanks for all the information folks!

Tags
dolly, tow