Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-16-2018, 04:39 AM   #1

Importance of a Level Tow Bar/Base Plate Connection

Good Morning,
I am just about to embark on a 'new to us', 'old to you', adventure of towing a vehicle behind our 30 ft 2008 Fleetwood Jamboree. We will be towing a small 2007 Nissan Versa, with manual transmission. We have purchased a Blue Ox BX1838 Base Plate and we also have a BX7445 Tow Bar (yes, the tow bar is overkill for this vehicle, but what will we tow next???). We have a braking system as well and the electrical harness for it. All will be installed this weekend. The RV has towed a vehicle, by the previous owner, and is ready to accept the new tow bar and be plugged in, ready to roll. I hope that I have given enough info for the knowledgeable Guru's in our midst, to answer my questions as follows:

It would seem to me that low positioning of the base plate on the small Nissan, will create a fairly steep angle when the tow bar is attached to the RV. Is this setup acceptable or is there some sort of a drop bar 'step down' attachment required to level out the tow bar and base plate points? What would be an acceptable angle (if there is one) from the attachment points of the base plate to the RV hitch? I realize that the base plate attachment points can accept the tow bar arms at various steep angles, but how steep is safe?
Murphcrud is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-16-2018, 04:58 AM   #2
Community Administrator

I believe Blue Ox recommends no more than 4 inch . There are various drop down bars that will help you accomplish this angle.
Here’s a brochure that shows the different drop down receivers.

http://www.blueox.com/wp-content/upl...Resolution.pdf

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 05:11 AM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I was at a rally recently where Blue Ox had a booth, they said no more than 3 inches up or down. I have a 6 inch drop receiver on mine to get my CRV to an acceptable level. Be sure to buy a strong enough one, (10,000 lbs) a good friend of mine broke his hitting a frost heave in the Yukon. His was a 5,000.
inlineskater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 05:36 AM   #4

3 inches from level is what I got when getting our blue ox setup installed.

There was a thread on another forum where they didn’t have that, hit a heave in the road and their Toad jumped, went to the side and slammed into the back of the rv.
Gumpster808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 06:05 AM   #5

The usual maximum is three inches either way. I just attached a new toad using a Roadmaster four-inch drop receiver, rated at 10k. That thing is _heavy_.
Old 08-16-2018, 06:32 AM   #6

We had to use an 8" drop adapter on our Bounder to get the tow bar in range on the Equinox.

The importance of being within the 3" range is that in a panic stop, the rear of the coach is rising and the toad nose is diving, and the toad could under-run the coach snapping the tow bars.

We use 10,000 lb tow bar, safety cables, and hitch adapter for a 3400 lb toad. We like safety margins.
Lots of RV Information at www.dmbruss.com
Dale & Mark Bruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 05:35 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
From my Roadmaster Sterling manual.

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 10:23 AM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Use a Drop Receiver if over 3"

We just had a Blue Ox Base plate installed on our 2019 Jeep Cherokee Overland... and the same tow bar you are using.

I talked at length with Dave at San Diego Trailer Supply about this very issue. San Diego Trailer Supply is the Local Blue Ox Dealer. They have almost 30 years of experience and I was incredibly impressed with their knowledge. Their absolute primary concern is Safety. They said Blue Ox recommended no more than a 3" difference. Mine was 3.5" and we installed a 3" drop receiver. The installation is clean and in a panic stop... the Toad is not going to try and ride under the back of the Coach.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180810_152544_1533998498459.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	205.8 KB
ID:	215404   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180810_152559_1533998498188.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	186.6 KB
ID:	215405  

Name:	20180810_152933_1533998497813.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	214.3 KB
ID:	215406   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180811_071456_1533998497342.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	157.5 KB
ID:	215407  

Home:760-519-7014, email: guess@tpguess.com
Tpguess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 07:56 AM   #9

I went with one of these. Some may say it is overkill. Some think they are too expensive. But I think better safe than sorry!
https://genyhitch.com/shop/10k-drop-hitch/
Old 08-19-2018, 08:28 AM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I used a 4" drop for a late model Honda Accord. As a bonus I used a Roadmaster dual hitch with a 2" or 4" drop which gave me a place for the bike carrier rather than adding something to the Accord.

Just watch the weight limitation of any thing you add. You'll probably be OK with the Versa but the drop receiver might become the limiting item concerning you're total towing capacity. For me the Roadmaster dual hitch capacity (10,000 lbs) exceeds the coach capacity (5000 lbs).

Roadmaster Inc. - Tow Bars, Braking Systems & RV Accessories
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC00135.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	538.5 KB
ID:	215625  
Old 08-19-2018, 12:10 PM   #11

Not quite as expensive 8" drop 10K Roadmaster
Lots of RV Information at www.dmbruss.com
Dale & Mark Bruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 06:46 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tpguess View Post
We just had a Blue Ox Base plate installed on our 2019 Jeep Cherokee Overland... and the same tow bar you are using.

I talked at length with Dave at San Diego Trailer Supply about this very issue. San Diego Trailer Supply is the Local Blue Ox Dealer. They have almost 30 years of experience and I was incredibly impressed with their knowledge. Their absolute primary concern is Safety. They said Blue Ox recommended no more than a 3" difference. Mine was 3.5" and we installed a 3" drop receiver. The installation is clean and in a panic stop... the Toad is not going to try and ride under the back of the Coach.
Just curious, in the picture it looks like your safety cables are wraped around the tow bar arms and your electrical and break away cables are on top of the tow bar. Is this what the installer recommended?

Also is the karguard 2 on top of all the cables when installed?

I thought the safety cables went under the tow bar and from lack of knowledge i have been routing the electric and break away under the bar also.

Thanks for your thoughts.
Old 09-01-2018, 01:00 AM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Dave at San Diego Trailer Supply (Blue Ox dealer in our area) said that this is the way he hooks his up.... and I went with it. In my original post i said we had a 3" drop receiver... but it is only a 2".

The safety cables are wrapped around the arms of the tow bar... and Dave told us this is the best way to do it...

The break away cables on top is also what he recommended.... said that nothing would ever catch on them and cause unwanted events...

By Karguard 2... I think you mean my Roadmaster Tow defender. Yes it is on top of the towbar.... and all of the cables.

I am no expert. I have 36 miles of toad under my belt. Leaving in two weeks for 2,700 miles... will get back to you after that :-) But.... I trust these guys.... and I am a 72 year old excellence advocate that was blown away by their experience... and attention to detail. So until anything they suggested proves wrong... I'm in!
Home:760-519-7014, email: guess@tpguess.com
Tpguess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 10:03 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tpguess View Post
Dave at San Diego Trailer Supply (Blue Ox dealer in our area) said that this is the way he hooks his up.... and I went with it. In my original post i said we had a 3" drop receiver... but it is only a 2".

The safety cables are wrapped around the arms of the tow bar... and Dave told us this is the best way to do it...

The break away cables on top is also what he recommended.... said that nothing would ever catch on them and cause unwanted events...

By Karguard 2... I think you mean my Roadmaster Tow defender. Yes it is on top of the towbar.... and all of the cables.

I am no expert. I have 36 miles of toad under my belt. Leaving in two weeks for 2,700 miles... will get back to you after that :-) But.... I trust these guys.... and I am a 72 year old excellence advocate that was blown away by their experience... and attention to detail. So until anything they suggested proves wrong... I'm in!
Thanks for the info on brake, and safety cables.I am very new at flat towing,and always looking for new advice.
purrin along is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow