Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-08-2015, 05:30 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Initial Towing Set Up

We are both now retired and wanting to use our Class A more, but really want to get a toad. Our rig has not ever been set up to tow and we are suspicious (old!) about asking a vendor about setting this up without any knowledge of what is required and how much we can look to spend. If you started from scratch, where did you go to get your tow "package" set up, would recommend them, and can you give me a ball park of what it cost you?
AZGypsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-08-2015, 05:48 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
I just went through all that myself two months ago. I wound up purchasing most of my stuff from the Hitch Source. They were most knowledgeable and helpful.

However, I did my own install of the base plate and wiring, etc. I wound up purchasing the RVibrake2 system for braking so that portion of the install was very simple (just needed to wire up the break-away cable from the front of the car to the interior). For lights I wound up purchasing magnetic ones as I had no time to mess with an integrated wiring approach. The biggest task was the base plate and my nephew helped with that as well so after a 1/2 day of effort, that was accomplished. The tow bar and base plate were both from Blue Ox.

My total cost into all that was a little under $2500. I like the setup with the Blue Ox as it is easy to use and I'm single so I have to connect/disconnect on my own.

If your car can be towed four-down, you'll need those four basic components (braking system, base plate, tow bar and lights), from whatever vendor(s) you choose. You didn't mention your toad type so hopefully it can be towed four down to use this type of setup.
bokobird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 05:58 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Carl, thank you! Yes, we are looking at buying a Chevy Spark Manual Trans that can be towed 4 down, so your info is invaluable. Really appreciate it! BTW, love the birds!! Big bird fan!
Old 01-08-2015, 06:17 PM   #4

I've used a cart and towed 4-down. Go 4 down is my recommendation. Towing a vehicle is serious business so most reps should be straight up with you. You can do some price checking on internet searches. Going to the mountains - get a good brake system that works. I use to use the magnetic lights. My two cents worth - other cars notice your regular tail lights more. I'd get the wire kit for the car with the diodes. It took me about an hour to set up my Lincoln MKX with the lighting kit. If your car/brake system uses juice....run a charger line from your motorhome. Use the right equipment so you don't screw up your cars electrical components. The $2,500 budget should get all of this done.
DA_BUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 06:52 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I pull a Jeep GC 4 wheel down. I installed a Blue Ox base plate, fairly easy to do. I use the Roadmaster Brakemaster pneumatic braking system, which hooked up to my coach brakes. I installed the separate turn lights in each of the tail lights and use the brake lights that activate when the brakes are engaged. I installed everything myself. $2500 may be light I you don't do the install yourself.

Good Luck
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 10:28 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
I just got another Motor Home a few months ago, and had to do the whole works. I bought a 07 jeep liberty for a toad 4wd so tow it 4 wheels down. I bought a used Blue Ox tow bar for $350 in excellent shape. Bought the Base plate and brackets for $400 New. Bought a wiring harness for $65. Then I bought an Blue OX Apollo Braking system Used for $250 and a Transmitter & Receiver for the braking system for $20 I installed everything myself. so for $1,085 I am good to go. The base plate only took me 3 hours to install. I could have gotten everything installed for around $500 or less. It pays to shop. If you are handy with tools and have the tools you can do it yourself. BTW I am 76 years old.
mel
Old 01-10-2015, 02:33 PM   #7

AZ GYPSY. Is your profile up to date? I ask because it says you have a 25 foot Fleetwood Flair. I think with that coach your towing capacity will be pretty limited. So, I suggest that you start by investigating your towing capacity before you buy a car for towing. Good luck with your search.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 08:27 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks, Chas. According to our specs, we have a 5000 lb towing capacity. The Spark is about half that weight. We should be ok. Of course, we will have everything checked thoroughly before getting in too deep.
Old 01-11-2015, 08:39 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZGypsie View Post
We are both now retired and wanting to use our Class A more, but really want to get a toad. Our rig has not ever been set up to tow and we are suspicious (old!) about asking a vendor about setting this up without any knowledge of what is required and how much we can look to spend. If you started from scratch, where did you go to get your tow "package" set up, would recommend them, and can you give me a ball park of what it cost you?
I would recommend looking into the E-Trailer website.

Trailer Hitches & Vehicle Accessories (800)298-8924

They have a guide to walk you through the process of setting up just about any vehicle. I purchased our towing equipment for Our Jeep and Winnebago Adventurer through them.

They had by far the best prices and delivery times. They also have a very knowledgeable staff that you can contact by phone or e mail should you have any questions.
Old 01-11-2015, 09:55 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Hiker, thank you so much, already read some good info there!
Old 01-11-2015, 10:36 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
AZ go to a web site called Hitch Trader .com for used tow equipment to save a little cash, I don't think you will find brackets for the Spark on there but might. Find a brake sys and a tow bar.
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 11:18 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Here is another website than you can put in the make/mode/year of your toad and you can get all information needed. You don't necessarily need to purchase from them, but it will give you part numbers and "their" prices for everything you need.

Roadmaster Inc. - Tow Bars, Braking Systems & RV Accessories
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing