Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-19-2019, 10:22 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Input needed - Bicycles inside toad

Seeking input on toads with bicycles. I have searched iRV2 and the web with no success.

We have 2 eBikes we would like to transport inside a toad. Bicycles are full-size, (Rad City models). Trading for folding models is not an option at this point. We would prefer to load the bikes upright with the front wheels still attached, but if pressed, we could detach the wheels. Inside storage is preferred over a bike rack for security and to protect the electronics from the elements.

Our motor home is rated for 7500 lbs towing capacity, so weight is not a problem. That said, we would prefer a smaller, lightweight toad capable of transporting 4 adults, OR the 2 bikes (not necessarily at the same time).

So, we’re looking for input on toads that could meet our needs.Click image for larger version

Name:	Avatar1576776127.913854.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	148.8 KB
ID:	269905
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-19-2019, 10:39 AM   #2

I carry a 26" folding bike in the trunk of a 2015 Chevy Malibu. For a lower cost vehicle, it's really much better than I anticipated. The one downside is that even with the 17' wheels, it does sit low to the ground and you have to be careful about any steep inclines when towing. It would be easy to put a second bike on the back seat.
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 10:40 AM   #3

?????

Do some research.

Visit dealers.

Measure
HJLowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 10:46 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Minivan. My uncle hauled his chopper in his Chevy Astro van. I never thought HDs and minivans mixed, but they do.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 11:12 AM   #5

Swap the Rubicon for a Gladiator. Put bikes in back, cover with a tarp or get a bed cover. Expensive option to carry two bikes...

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 12:59 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Mini van with stow n go would be perfect.
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 01:59 PM   #7

There are several solutions but new bikes will probably be the best solution. New bikes are a lot cheaper than new vehicles. You could fold the rear seat on your TJ and should be able to get a couple folded bikes in there.

I have 26" folding ebikes and I carry 2 of them in the rear on my JK with no seats folded so I still have the ability to carry four folks at the same time.
Old 12-19-2019, 02:18 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks for the replies. A minivan would fit my needs very well if I could find one that’s flat towable and with low mileage. In my research so far I have eliminated Ford Flex, Jeep Cherokee and Grand Cherokee as the bikes won’t fit. Ford Explorer is too large for my taste. Late model Toyotas aren’t flat towable. It looks like my best option is to replace my 16 year old Rubicon with a Wrangler 4 door with the Pentastar engine but this is an expensive way to go. The Gladiator would be awesome but I can’t justify the cost!
Old 12-19-2019, 02:29 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
I think to get the height you need for them to travel upright you're looking at a minivan, or a truck with a topper - may need a raised roof on either of those to make it work. Without measurements to the highest point of your bikes it's just a guessing game. (length probably won't be an issue)

I measured a LOT of vehicles looking for inside carry space for our bikes (trikes, actually). I needed 33" tall front to rear and 6' long, I can JUST make them fit in my Hyundai Santa Fe, and at that I have to take the handlebars off. (When buying the Santa Fe I told the salesman that my bikes had to fit or it was no sale. He let me take it home and put the bikes in). Note that I was not looking at anything larger than a mid-size SUV. Something like a Chevy Subdivision may work fine for you, but I wouldn't drive one that large full time so that I could carry the bikes every now and then.
I presume your bikes are taller than ours, height is going to be your limiting measurement.
Old 12-19-2019, 02:30 PM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Honda Element
Volunteers USFWS. 9,300 hrs each, 29 refuges. 04 Allegro 30DA, WH 8.1, Banks, 2012 Jeep Liberty , Brake Buddy Adv Select, 300watts Solar, "Philippians 4:11-13 KJV"
Rocky Larson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 03:35 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podivin View Post
I presume your bikes are taller than ours, height is going to be your limiting measurement.

That’s exactly what I’m finding too; it looks like the bikes require 36” of headroom with the front wheel removed.
Old 12-19-2019, 03:41 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky Larson View Post
Honda Element

Interestingly, that’s what I was looking for when I started my search. I’m still hoping to luck into an Element with low mileage and at a decent price, but so many of them for sale have 150,000 to 250,000 miles on them. It does say a lot for Honda’s reliability, though.
Old 12-19-2019, 05:16 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
If you can find an old Toyota Rav4 with the rear door that swings sideways (not up), those things are huge inside, MUCH larger than the current versions. It might be hard to find one that is in decent shape, but it's a thought. I don't recall how tall they were, I just remember that they were a good bit taller inside (lower floor) than everything else I'd been seeing.
Old 12-19-2019, 05:30 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJLowell View Post
?????

Do some research.

Visit dealers.

Measure
They are doing research. They are asking experienced RV'ers. - US!
JohnLoves2Sk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad