Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-13-2019, 07:51 PM   #1

Texas Boomers Club
Install BlueOx baseplate on 2019 Nissan Versa

Ordered my kit and should have it by the weekend. Anybody out there performed this install on a Versa?

There’s a video on a 2014 Versa with a Roadmaster. Would imagine it would be very similar.

As a newbie, I love this forum. I have received great feedback on previous posts. Don’t hesitate to post or just say hello.
beckeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-16-2019, 03:45 AM   #2

Nope. I've install a Roadmaster baseplate on a Jeep Patriot and a Ford Expedition. The Jeep took me around six hours. And the Expedition took about two hours. I usually watch the installation videos on etrailer.
I also install the extended lighting (RV to car) on both. If I had to do the lighting again, I think I would install new lights in the tail section of the cars. Instead, I've used a diode kit and used the existing bulbs.
tucson.don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 12:16 PM   #3

Texas Boomers Club
2019 Nissan Versa DIY towbar/baseplate set up

I am substantially complete with the install of the baseplate, towbar, electrical lines, brake, etc. for my Nissan Versa. I am posting this detail in case another member tries to do this DIY. My Versa is manual tranny, Sedan S model.

Baseplate - BlueOx (BX1852). By far the most difficult to install. My son had some equipment to jack the car up and use jack stands under the driver/passenger front end. Drilling holes into the frame and notching out a piece of a metal part were the most difficult. Advice: use smaller bits at first to drill a pilot hole before using the recommended bit size. For the notch out...I used a Dremel with a rotary cutting disk...that thing threw off some sparks. Wear safety glasses!

Electrical - RM-15267 Roadmaster Diode 7-wire to 6-Wire Flexo-Coil wire kit. Not overly difficult. Removing tail lights from inside trunk not too difficult. Wiring driver side was straight forward. Passenger side left me wandering if I wired it properly. I don't exactly recall the issue but I remember guessing to use use the white line.... it all worked out. I thought running the wires from rear bumper to front of car would be difficult...but not too bad. I had my 25 year old son helping me. That was a huge help. I am 53.

Just ordered part number RM-156-25 Battery line. Wish I would have understood this up front. Should not be too difficult....but would have been nice if I could have done it all at once.

Brake - Blue Ox Patriot II (BRK2016). Just installed this yesterday. I was concerned as to how I would run a wire from the bumper area (break away switch) to inside the driver compartment. I removed driver side front tire and found rubber grommet that appears to receive the hood release cable into the driver compartment. Pulled off the grommet. I used a large 2 foot zip tie and taped the wire to it to fish the line through. Rarely does anything work for me on the first try. Guess it was my lucky day. I secured the cable through the wheel well...brake line and underneath a plastic panel and into the engine compartment on driver side. No risk of tire or shock hitting the cable. Used zip ties to secure to the brakelight lines I ran previously. Again used the long zip ties to fish the cable down to the break-away switch into which the cable plugs.

Setting up the Patriot around the brake pedal was fairly easy and intuitive. I had to use the two provided screw in legs to lift the Patriot unit so that the Patriot pushes against the front of the seat and not the seat lever.

The remote for the Motorhome is super easy. Plug into the 12v lighter and mine automatically connected to the Patriot inside the car.

Towbar - Blue Ox Alpha Towbar BX7365 -6,500lb rating. The rep at eTrailer said I should buy cables RM-643 6,000lbs. But my Alpha towbar came with safety cables. I assume they are rated at least 6,500 lbs but I don't know for sure. I have an extra set of cables.

I also purchased a 6 inch hi-lo hitch adapter. My MH is a Newmar Baystar Sport 2813.

Setting up the Alpha towbar is not overly difficult. Its a little heavy to work with. Getting that to slide into the hi-low adapter was tough. Had to use a rubber mallet.

For now, on the Versa, I am leaving the gear shift in Neutral. With the key in the ACC position. Making sure that the steering wheel can still turn (make sure it does not lock). The Versa tracks very well behind the MH.

All in I spent about $3,100 with tax. I probably logged 10 hours. My son probably logged 6 hours. It was nice to have a young guy there to help. The quote for professional install was about $6,000.

Recommend DIY install for those that are fairly handy.

Hope this helps someone down the road.
Old 08-25-2019, 08:23 PM   #4

Nice write-up. Having a new BSS 2813 on order I have a question. Does the 7 pin plug on the back of the Bay Star have a live wire for a battery charge line to the towed vehicle? Our vehicle is already set up and I have a RVI towed vehicle battery charger already, just need the charge line from the coach. Thanks
Mike

2018 Wrangler JLU
mdth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 05:29 AM   #5

Texas Boomers Club
I believe so. But I don’t know for sure. I will find out soon
Old 08-26-2019, 06:42 AM   #6

Texas Boomers Club
Spoke to tech at eTrailer. She said all 7 pins today have the battery charge line built into the plug. I will test my with voltage meter.
Old 08-26-2019, 07:16 AM   #7

Thank you

2018 Wrangler JLU
Old 08-30-2019, 06:38 AM   #8

Charge line

Good morning,

Did you get that charge line going yet? I am anxious to see how that worked out and how you are liking your 2813. Thanks for your input.

Mike

2018 Wrangler JLU
Old 08-31-2019, 07:04 AM   #9

Texas Boomers Club
Charge line arrived yesterday (Friday). Hope to install this weekend. 2813...we have not yet taken it out. Probably some time in September. This is our first rv of any kind.
Old 10-11-2020, 07:15 AM   #10

Just wanted to say thanks! I just finished this on my 2020 Versa and it had many similar issues. I ended up paying someone to do the install for all the wiring bits as I am paranoid and it cost slightly more, but not crazy more. They got me with the 12v adapter too. Tested the one in the car and it worked, didn't know it was on a timer until mostly through the install and had to add in the kit to have a permanently on 12v port.

How has the braking system worked for you? We got the Patriot 3 and that is probably my area of biggest concern. We went with the Avail tow bar (10k pounds) as all the others were out of stock at the dealer I went to.

Any things to watch out for as we tow it down the road? Did a test pull of about 10 miles yesterday and it seemed all good.
Bogie71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 06:54 AM   #11

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie71 View Post
Just wanted to say thanks! I just finished this on my 2020 Versa and it had many similar issues. I ended up paying someone to do the install for all the wiring bits as I am paranoid and it cost slightly more, but not crazy more. They got me with the 12v adapter too. Tested the one in the car and it worked, didn't know it was on a timer until mostly through the install and had to add in the kit to have a permanently on 12v port.

How has the braking system worked for you? We got the Patriot 3 and that is probably my area of biggest concern. We went with the Avail tow bar (10k pounds) as all the others were out of stock at the dealer I went to.

Any things to watch out for as we tow it down the road? Did a test pull of about 10 miles yesterday and it seemed all good.
Todd,

Glad to hear everything worked out. I believe there was a model change for the Versa between '19 and '20 so I imagine there would have been some differences from what I experienced. I ended up trading in my Baystar and Versa in May. I purchased an Entegra Aspire and now I tow a Jeep Wrangler 4 door. That said, I never had any problems with towing the Versa. And the Patriot brake system was fine. I use that today on my Jeep. I did have one trip where the motorhome dash display screen lost connection with the Patriot brake in the Versa. But that was short lived.

Best regards,

Dave
Old 10-12-2020, 08:55 AM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
We have a 2020 Versa that I installed a Roadmaster baseplate on. Fourth toad and use only Roadmaster, never need to drill holes or trim parts.
Bagger97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 08:31 PM   #13

Awesome! Thanks for the responses. Now, the hard part, getting used to driving manual again.
Bogie71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 10:45 PM   #14

I noted a statement in the 2020 Versa owners handbook on page 10-16 in Caution notes third paragraph, "-Never tow your front wheel drive vehicle with the front tires on the ground. Doing so many cause serious and expensive damage to the powertrain."
This statement does not mention standard or CVT transmissions. All internet information states to refer to the vehicle owners manual for specific towing requirements. Can this change be something specific to the 2020 Nissan Versa? This statement is either confusing or erroneous.?? Don't know if it is safe to tow this vehicle wheels down.
CCdesert is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
baseplate, install