Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-27-2016, 01:51 PM   #1

Install RM base plate on Jeep Liberty

I've viewed the installation video on the etrailer.com site and read the comments from all the satisfied customers but I'm still a bit leary of trying to install a RoadMaster base plate by myself.

Does anyone have any direct experience installing an RM 521423-1 on a 2007 Jeep Liberty Limited? Keep in mind, I have limited mechanical skills (I was a computer engineer and marketing mgr) and my tools are limited to basic hand tools such as socket set, wrenches, pliers, screwdrivers, etc. I don't own a torque wrench nor do I have any gizmos for removing plastic body panel fasteners or other body work.

Other than the base plate kit and wiring harness, are there other parts that I "must have?" My 2010 WGO Vista 30W is already set up to tow my 1993 Geo Tracker so the motorhome side is set.

Sorry for the basic questions but mechanics isn't my thing. I'd take it to a shop but there aren't any nearby I'd trust to air up my tires. Thanks.
LeeOts is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2016, 07:46 PM   #2

I bought the RoadMaster baseplate kit, took it to my local auto mechanic, who happens to be a long-time MH owner. He said he would install everything on our Jeep GC. he removed the tow hooks from the frame and installed the baseplate(s) for the towing hitch, for $100 less than Camping World quoted.

You might find a local mechanic shop to do the same.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 11:29 AM   #3

Thanks but there aren't any shops nearby that I have any confidence can do the job.
Old 01-28-2016, 04:00 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I just installed the Blue Ox baseplate on my 04 Liberty, and it was a piece of cake! I shouldn't imagine that your baseplate is that much different. The most time consuming part of the "operation" was getting the grill and associated parts off and back on. Blue Ox has a great video that I used as the process went along; maybe you can find one for your baseplate as well. Go online or give the manufacturer a call. Good Luck!! A couple of six packs and a couple of friends for encouragement helps also.

Bronk
bronk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 04:10 PM   #5

I always view things such that the cost of purchasing the tools is less than the labor for someone else to do the work and when I am done I have some new tools. If you can take photos and post them there are likely many here who can help as long as the car isn't required for daily use and can handle some down time. The e-trailer video and their tech support will also help as well.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 06:28 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronk View Post
...The most time consuming part of the "operation" was getting the grill and associated parts off and back on...
Bronk
eTrailer has a video that appears useful. However, as we all know, the devil is in the details. They sort of "gloss over" getting the grill and bumper cover off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vettenuts View Post
I always view things such that the cost of purchasing the tools is less than the labor for someone else to do the work and when I am done I have some new tools...
I used to think the same way but, after I retired, I wanted to get rid of "stuff," not acquire more! In this case, I may break a cardinal rule and borrow tools from a neighbor who builds sand rails in his 40'x65' "man cave." He has every tool known to man. I hate to borrow tools because I hate to lend tools.

Thanks Bronk and Vettenuts, at least you didn't laugh and tell me I was crazy! Gonna have to think more on this.
Old 01-29-2016, 06:04 AM   #7

Have you looked for front cover removal on YouTube? The reason I ask is, believe it or not, you need to remove the front cover of my Malibu to change a headlight bulb.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 06:05 AM   #8

Why don't you ask your neighbor to help you with the install. If he's a good friend, and has the tools and knowledge, it can't hurt to ask. It's a nut and bolt job and pretty much stright forward.
After, treat him to the best steak dinner you can find.
Grumpy
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 08:21 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by vettenuts View Post
Have you looked for front cover removal on YouTube? The reason I ask is, believe it or not, you need to remove the front cover of my Malibu to change a headlight bulb.
YouTube is a good idea. I'm always amazed at what I find on YT. As for your Malibu, some unpaid intern must have come up with that design. SMH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy0374 View Post
Why don't you ask your neighbor to help you with the install. If he's a good friend, and has the tools and knowledge, it can't hurt to ask. It's a nut and bolt job and pretty much stright forward.
After, treat him to the best steak dinner you can find.
Grumpy
I just hate to bother others. Asking for advice on this forum is OK but asking a neighbor to give up a few hours seems like a bit much. However, if I get the Jeep apart and can't put it back together, I'll call him before my wife finds her Jeep in pieces.

Tags
install