Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-25-2011, 06:20 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Installing tow plate in 2008 CRV

Our local RV shop gave us a 'loose' quote of $650 to install a Roadmaster tow plate and another $450 to install the wiring harness. This is LABOR ONLY as I already have the parts.

Seems a little, um, excessive to me. I've read the instructions and it doesn't exactly look like rocket science.

If you has someone else install these for you how much was it?

Thanks,
Muddypaws
AKA Russ
Muddypaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2011, 06:34 PM   #2

Seems excessive to me too. I have a Ranger pickup and while I don't know the difference between it and your vehicle, as you say, it's not rocket science. I did mine myself it was a while ago but I'm thinking it was 2-3 hours for the plate and about the same for the wiring. I have tools and a decent place to work but I'm no mechanic. I'll be interested to hear what the others say.
srydve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 07:58 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My buddy and I did my '08 CRV in my garage is about 3.5 (including a donut break) hours for the Roadmaster baseplate and about 1.5 hours to mount the additional lights in the taillamp housings. Wasn't difficult, just follow the instructions.
SoIlBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 08:09 PM   #4

Yes, I agree the estimate is excessive. At $100/ hr for labor, that's 11 hours of work. I would estimate that a knowledgable professional mechanic can install the base plate and the wiring within 4 to 5 hours at most.

I did my 02' CR-V base plate in about 3 to 4 hours and the wiring in about 2 to 3 hours. But, I'm no mechanic and I'm admittedly slow when working on vehicles.

I would shop around for a better deal, even if you have to travel a bit. I would think that around $600 total is a more fair rate.
PS- don't rule out installation by a trustworthy local auto repair shop. They can do as good or better than an RV dealership. Just provide the instructions.

Joopy
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 08:14 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoIlBoy View Post
My buddy and I did my '08 CRV in my garage is about 3.5 (including a donut break) hours for the Roadmaster baseplate and about 1.5 hours to mount the additional lights in the taillamp housings. Wasn't difficult, just follow the instructions.
My buddy and I did my 2007 CR-V in about the same time except we installed a Blue Ox baseplate. A friend had a baseplate and separate bulbs installed in the tail lights and I think he paid $300 for the total installation.
Norm4015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 09:16 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Very spendy prices. Sometimes it is a way of saying No. I would guess half the price quoted would be extremely fair. HAve you tried Roadmaster website for local install places---that is how I found the people who did my Blue Ox. It was a welding shop actually.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 01:25 PM   #7

A local auto detail shop installed our Blue Ox baseplate and wiring kit on a 2010 CRV for under $500. I think it took them 5 hours @ $85/hr labor. Plus taxes. They did an excellent job and was well worth it for me.

I would check places that install tow hitches and truck accessories.

Good luck
nalcon is offline   Reply With Quote