Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-09-2018, 12:40 PM   #1

Is a motorcycle a toad or not?

If this isn't in the right category, perhaps an administrator could move it to the correct location, as I'm unsure after looking through all the categories where this should be?
I have a Hydra-Lift on my Tiffin Phaeton motorhome, and I'm wondering if it could be considered a toad 'towed', or what the classification would be for those that have a lift and use it as their alternative vehicle when set up at an RV Park or where ever one stops for a length of time. With that said, and again I'm unsure if there is a category, I'm wondering if I might take it off and route myself back to a vehicle towed! A few folks have asked me if a good sized motorcycle is considered a towed vehicle, as it's behind the unit, but the wheels are off the ground? Is there a classification here that if I decided to uninstall it, that I could advertise it to those that might find it more beneficial than I am for their needs? Our Phaeton is somewhat new to us, so I have much to learn, as the lifestyle seems to be a favourable one so long as one can keep up to the small & large repairs it seems!
Again, if there is another category for this please let me know, or if an administrator can move it, it would be appreciated!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-09-2018, 02:14 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
My opinion would be its not being towed so, no. It's being hauled or carried.
Old 04-09-2018, 02:22 PM   #3

At any camp grounds we have hosted in, the motorcycle is considered an extra vehicle only if it gets unloaded and driven in/out of the park.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 02:40 PM   #4

I think what he's asking is if he wants to advertize it for sale here what category does it fall under? I will be doing the same thing & when I went to the for sale sight I couldn't figure out what it fit under either.
MTK46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 02:43 PM   #5

If a campground charges you extra because it's a towed vehicle, it's a TOAD. If a campground doesn't charge you extra, then maybe it's a TOAD, and maybe not.

If a motorcycle is on a trailer, it is definitely a TOAD.

If you have a TOAD AND are pulling the motorcycle on a trailer behind it, it may be called "illegal". It depends on the state.

For selling the Hydra-Lift here on this site, it would go under "Toads" or "Accessories, Parts, Odds 'n Ends". I see some other lifts under the second category. the first category specifies vehicles only, so there's you answer for here on IRV2.

Personally, I'd not worry about it and just ride, whenever you can!!

Logan Oregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 03:02 PM   #6
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
For the purposes of this forum, if the motorcycle is being dragged behind a motorhome, whether on a lift or on a trailer with some wheels on the ground or all wheels on the trailer, it's a toad.

The section you posted in is for towing vehicles - i.e. trucks or some other larger vehicle that drags something else (a TT, 5-r, stacker...etc) behind it.

Another way to tell is to read the definitions of those 2 forums. The definitions immediately follow the titles.

The lift itself is actually an accessory, neither a tow vehicle nor a toad. If you are wanting to sell the lift, it goes in the Accessories section of our Classifieds. Definitions of those sections are also immediately following the section titles.

I've moved this thread to the Toads section of our forum since the circumstances behind what you are discussing relates to Toads.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 10:45 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerstroke2000 View Post
If this isn't in the right category, perhaps an administrator could move it to the correct location, as I'm unsure after looking through all the categories where this should be?
I have a Hydra-Lift on my Tiffin Phaeton motorhome, and I'm wondering if it could be considered a toad 'towed', or what the classification would be for those that have a lift and use it as their alternative vehicle when set up at an RV Park or where ever one stops for a length of time. With that said, and again I'm unsure if there is a category, I'm wondering if I might take it off and route myself back to a vehicle towed! A few folks have asked me if a good sized motorcycle is considered a towed vehicle, as it's behind the unit, but the wheels are off the ground? Is there a classification here that if I decided to uninstall it, that I could advertise it to those that might find it more beneficial than I am for their needs? Our Phaeton is somewhat new to us, so I have much to learn, as the lifestyle seems to be a favourable one so long as one can keep up to the small & large repairs it seems!
Again, if there is another category for this please let me know, or if an administrator can move it, it would be appreciated!
Well Sir,
First off, you answered your own question with some of your own writing, When you used the word "Towed". You're NOT TOWING ANYTHING. You're CARRYING it on the back of your coach!!!! It's considered part of the coach. No where in history has something like that EVER been considered a "TOAD".

Now, if you have a Hydralift as you say, you can also TOW something at the same time you're carrying the bike. Then, and only then, you will be towing A TOAD!!!

Now, if you don't like the bike and, would rather just have a car or pickup or Jeep or whatever, that's a whole different matter. You can do two things quite simply. One, the Hydralift has the ability to TILT up to a completely vertical position which, creates more hood-to-coach clearance between the toad and the back of the coach. Yet, it still retains the Hydralift for future trips with the bike.

Second, you can simply remove the Hydralift and SELL IT. But, depending on how that Hydralift was installed, you may have to re-install a factory type hitch/receiver. Anyone who tells you that your bike, carried on the coach is a TOAD, is absolutely clueless.

The Hydralift is by far, the best lift/carrier out there, hands down. It's the most secure, the most efficient with the least amount of moving parts and, is the the most stable. And, you can still tow with the bike on there. It doesn't get any better than that. We did it for years.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 12:54 AM   #8

No different than putting a motorcycle in the bed of a truck. It is being carried and not being towed thus it is not a TOAD.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 05:46 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
No different than putting a motorcycle in the bed of a truck. It is being carried and not being towed thus it is not a TOAD.
So is car carried on a trailer not a TOAD since its carried? Better term is probably dinghy, that is anything street legal carried or towed used to get around once at your destination.
Old 04-10-2018, 08:55 AM   #10

TOWING anything, is considered a toad. Doesn’t matter whether it’s a car on a trailer, or just a trailer, or towing just a car, you are still towing something. That means you have a toad. The term ”toad” generally applies to a vehicle of some sort. But towing the vehicle on the trailer still towing something. The OP is not throwing anything he’s carrying something.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 10:05 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
TOWING anything, is considered a toad. Doesn’t matter whether it’s a car on a trailer, or just a trailer, or towing just a car, you are still towing something. That means you have a toad. The term ”toad” generally applies to a vehicle of some sort. But towing the vehicle on the trailer still towing something. The OP is not throwing anything he’s carrying something.
Scott
A TOAD is a kind of frog, so arguing that something is not a TOAD because it doesn't sound like towed seems silly. Motorcycle on trailer is a TOAD but motorcycle on lift isn't?

IMO a TOAD is the equivalent term to a dinghy in in the marine world, which is either towed or carried. There are various ways to bring a TOAD along, lift, dolly, trailer or 4 down.

TOAD or not?:

Click image for larger version

Name:	9k7aec.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	198502
Old 04-10-2018, 01:20 PM   #12
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
The OP's 1st question was where should their post be. I answered that in post #6.

Everyone has different opinions on what should be a toad (towed vehicle) vs what is a towing vehicle. However, for the purposes of posting on iRV2, one only has to read our definitions of the titles of those forums to know where to post a "toad" or towing vehicle question.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 01:33 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
no!
WeatherTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 01:37 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Its a motorcycle. If you are selling post it in as many places as you can to get the max exposure.

Tags
toad