Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-13-2016, 05:55 PM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Did a quick search on the web with the following results:

Towing Laws | BrakeBuddy - Braking systems for motorhomes towing a vehicle

M & G Engineering - Car Braking Systems: State Brake Laws

Roadmaster Inc. - Tow Bars, Braking Systems & RV Accessories

Some interesting reading. One of the interesting issues is the warranty on the towing vehicle if certain weights are exceeded without brakes. Workhorse and Ford were used as examples.

Don't forget these articles are written by folks whose interest is in you buying a braking system. But they make sense.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-13-2016, 06:00 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
When you get to the scene of the accident, you'll be glad you had a supp brake in your toad. Kinda like seatbelts, everybody should were them even tho most will never need them. It's legal Darwinism.

That being said, I just sold my parents DP, it had about 160k on it and they put another 160k on their previous one, usually towing a toad and never with supp brakes. My inheritance at risk, I always asked if they would like me to set them up with an easy-to-connect system, they always said no. What could I say...but you can bet your farm I have one.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 07:59 PM   #17

Thank you for your responses everyone.
grace2day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 08:14 PM   #18

Some physics I considered before I bought a braking system for my toad:

My MH weighs 29000 pounds loaded.

My SUV toad weighs 5000 pounds.

Braking distance will increase about 20% with the toad and no brakes.

That could mean the difference between just stopping in time, or hitting another vehicle at about 10 - 15 MPH.

Doesn't sound too bad until you consider that my combo is 10 times heavier than the average car.
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 08:33 PM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
I have had one for two different rigs now. I can tell a difference when I am stopping if it in place, or I got lazy and didn't put it in.

I want the trooper investigating my accident to look in and see it......and after the accident bet you a cheeseburger he can't tell if it was operational or not, but he will testify it had one.
Old 04-14-2016, 02:13 AM   #20
RV LIFE Support Team

I would seriously question the knowledge of that dealer. I am not even sure I would have him do any work. If he feels that he can skirt laws regarding a braking system what else is he doing that no one know about.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y + Honda CRV
RV LIFE Support Team
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 08:54 AM   #21

Again, I appreciate everyone's passionate advice. I did a more detailed search here and realize I stirred up a hornet's nest. Sorry for that.

It's clear that there is a sizable percentage of the population that simply chooses to not use the brakes, and dealers and the OEM realizes it. That population takes risks, legal or otherwise.

Better or worse.

The remaining percentage is clearly passionate about the foolhardiness of doing so.

At a certain level I'm sorry I brought this up as my first post.
grace2day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 10:31 AM   #22

National RV Owners Club
When I was younger with less $$ I towed without tow braking system and never had a problem but now older with just enough $$ to afford braking system I don't travel without it.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 10:46 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pusherman View Post
I am not intending to be disrespectful, but YES, you are a fool if you consider not installing brakes.
I resemble that remark.
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 05:54 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by grace2day View Post
Again, I appreciate everyone's passionate advice. I did a more detailed search here and realize I stirred up a hornet's nest. Sorry for that.

It's clear that there is a sizable percentage of the population that simply chooses to not use the brakes, and dealers and the OEM realizes it. That population takes risks, legal or otherwise.

Better or worse.

The remaining percentage is clearly passionate about the foolhardiness of doing so.

At a certain level I'm sorry I brought this up as my first post.
grace2day-

This is an excellently balanced summary. I, for one, did notice your similar mid-thread post (#12).

Welcome to the iRV2 family, where some of us raise our voices and gesticulate wildly, but rarely throw the crockery at one another (bringing the ever-watchful, long-suffering and unpaid moderators into the "discussion"). I've noticed that after the emotion subsides, we go back to appreciating one another's strengths and overlooking one another's shortcomings.

That said, perhaps there should be a "super sticky" somewhere on iRV2 that indicates the "passion content" of the top 10 RV topics. Now, about toilet paper hitch ratings tire pressures... ;-)
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote