Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-24-2020, 06:30 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to stearn
Is it me ?

Towing with a Stehl tow dolly . We are towing a 2018 Equinox using the basket type straps. There is a tight clearance between the tire and something very sharp.I have felt behind the strap , finding it is very close to my suspension. I think I have clearance only to find I am wrong. Every time I remove the straps they are cut ! Is anyone towing an Equinox having this problem? If , so what do I need to do?
Ps
Went through 4 pairs of straps !

Equinox Toad
stearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-24-2020, 07:00 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Stick your cellphone behind the tire and start taking random pictures or do a video.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 07:14 PM   #3

If your straps are like my Stiehl Tow straps, you can make the basket oval smaller by pulling it thru the steel ring.

That will cause the straps to ride higher on the sidewalls of the tire.

The top loop does not have to be tight against the tire.Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture%2B_2020-11-24-21-11-50.jpeg
Views:	41
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	309189
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 07:28 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to stearn
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
If your straps are like my Stiehl Tow straps, you can make the basket oval smaller by pulling it thru the steel ring.

That will cause the straps to ride higher on the sidewalls of the tire.

The top loop does not have to be tight against the tire.Attachment 309189
Those straps were replaced after being cut, have been using the basket type strap, with two hooks . What your saying make sense. Seems to be very tight clearance , between tire and suspension. Am I the only one that has had this problem towing an Equinox, if not are there other solutions??

Equinox Toad
stearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 07:52 PM   #5

Not familiar with the Equinox, but when I was using a Acme dolly with an Accord I had a similar issue if I let the strap sit a tad low on the inside. The solution I found was to put a Kevlar strap sleeve on the basket strap. The Acme straps had removable hooks at one end so it was possible to thread the strap trough the sleeve. Not sure if this will work in Your situation but wanted to throw this idea out.

Just did a bit of research they do make a sandwich sleeve with Velcro on one side. That should work on any configuration.
Steve-W is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 08:43 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Same problem in 1993 towing a Dodge Caravan, wife had to drive chase. Again in 2014 and in 2017 towing a 1997 Saturn. Strap seems to get cut on the strut. I finally quit pushing my luck and decided to flat tow a Jeep wrangler.
Tom & Kay +KAISER--Miniature Schnauzer// TIFFIN 2021 OPEN ROAD 34 PA LIQUID SPRINGS Ft & Rear Tireminder A1A / SAFE T PLUS, 2002 Jeep Wrangler/-2013 Bounder Classic 34M SOLD, 1985 Mobile Traveler M-260RDB/ 1993 SOUTHWIND 30E/ 2009 COUGAR 29RKS 5ver
SimRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 09:17 PM   #7

I just flat towed our Equinox. No issues in around 30k miles.
Dennis4809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 07:59 AM   #8
NXR

When I was towing a Sonata on an Acme dolly I had to adjust the very top cross-strap so it rode higher on the inside of the tire to assure I had enough clearance between the strap and the shock tower, kind of as twinboat noted. If I could not comfortably get a finger between the strap and the shock tower I knew I was too close.

If you're not getting on your back each time you install the straps and physically checking their positioning you likely cannot be assured that the straps will clear when it's that tight underneath.

Once I had the proper positioning I took a picture of the wheel. Then I could look at the cross-strap stitching each time and see that it was always in the same place on the tire and I knew I probably was good to go. I still double-checked because I had to get underneath to install the safety chains.

Unless you have a 2018 Equinox with the 2.0L engine and/or the 9-speed transmission or gas with AWD, you probably can install a baseplate and flat tow it if you're so inclined. This limitation was removed in the 2019 model year. From the 2018 Equinox Owners Manual:

Dinghy Towing
Front-wheel-drive (1.5 L Gas FWD/1.6 L Diesel) and all-wheel-drive (1.6 L Diesel only) vehicles may be dinghy towed from the front. These vehicles can also be towed by placing them on a platform trailer with all four wheels off of the ground. All other engine/transmission combinations must be towed by platform trailer. Also see the information on dolly towing later in this section.

Dolly Towing (All-Wheel-Drive Vehicles)
All-wheel-drive vehicles cannot be towed with two wheels on the ground. To properly tow these vehicles, they should be placed on a platform trailer with all four wheels off of the ground.

Note that first section has odd wording because the Owner's Manual does note that FWD vehicles can be towed on a dolly.

I now flat tow a 2020 Equinox AWD with the 2.0L and 9-speed.

FWIW,

Ray
Old 11-26-2020, 09:54 AM   #9

We flat tow a 2017 Equinox and a strong consideration when buying it was that we could flat tow it. There are 6 Equinoxes in our winter park of various years and all are flat towed.
Ditch the dolly and save a lot of agrivation!
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 05:38 PM   #10

There is different kinds of equinox, I'm interested in the 2014 4cly awd ltz. The death wobble are effecting some of these. I need more from all which ones they have.
ronjes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 07:57 PM   #11
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjes View Post
There is different kinds of equinox, I'm interested in the 2014 4cly awd ltz. The death wobble are effecting some of these. I need more from all which ones they have.
The towing procedure in the pre-2018 Equinoxes was incorrect and later revised by GM. Please see the attached PDF. Pulling the fuse indicated in the Owners Manual for the 4-cylinder engine could cause the death wobble in pre-2018 cars.

HTH,

Ray
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Equinox Terrain revised flat towing.pdf (17.9 KB, 17 views)
Old 11-28-2020, 02:12 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

I had a similar problem with a 2013 Buick Verano. Something rather sharp on the suspension or transaxle and very close to the back side of the wheel. Darn near cut one strap completely through! Never could see exactly what it was, even when crawling underneath, but I adjusted the basket straps to ride higher so it didn't contact whatever it was.

It doesn't need to be a knife edge to cut when the car suspension is continuously flexing for hundreds of miles.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote