Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-25-2015, 06:44 AM   #57

Newmar Owners Club
I have a plan in place........

Sure sounds like a wonderful way to ruin a vacation............and make for a long ride in silence after a year's worth of word's being tossed out without thinking Plus damage IF thing go wrong.......

For me, I would not even think of it......
1. Remove 2 pin's,
2. un-plug electric cord,
3. un-plug air line........Done, ready for the DW to move.
And down the road, when we can safely pull over, and re-hook, we continue on down the road with our vacation, laughing, and talking
We have never had to exercise this plan............
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2015, 09:42 AM   #58

This thread is a perfect example that proves that most drivers of motorhomes have little or no mechanical knowledge.

Jim
jauguston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 10:20 AM   #59

National RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Barbara S.
I have had a few times when I needed to be able to back up - all at gas stations and all occurred AFTER I had pulled into a spot. I am a single RVer so don't usually have another person to help me. Number 1 occured while I was filling my tank and someone pulled in front of me pulling a long utility trailer thereby blocking my exit. He told me just to back up. Couldn't do it because my toad was at an angle so I just had to wait for him to finish. #2 was at a gas station when the pump apparently ran out of gas and the attendant came out and asked us to move to another pump. Tried with one person backing motorhome and I was in the toad. Steering wheel jerked so I couldn't control it. This time I had to unhook the toad. #3 Finished pumping gas and as I was exiting a big 18 wheeler backed into my exit lane to fuel the gas pumps. I had to back up about 3 feet to exit another lane. I held my breath but it worked. Had I needed to unhook I would have blocked the exit for probably 20 minutes (time to unhook - I can't do it by myself in 5 mins., move the motorhome, come back and move the car, then hook up again). I TRY to be careful but it doesn't always work out as planned.
Good Sam Charter Life member/FMCA/SI/Escapees/Thousand Trails
Barbara S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 10:50 AM   #60

Is it possible to back up?

Possible? Yes. But why? What's the hurry?
I can disconnect and reconnect in moments. It doesn't need to be totally disconnected and stowed. I don't care if others are inconvenienced.
Simple. Easy. Safe. No risk. No OOPS. No "aw rats".
Waiting for "weakest link" parts while stranded takes time AND money. Saw it. Don't want it.
Each to their own ways.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 02:02 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by jauguston View Post
This thread is a perfect example that proves that most drivers of motorhomes have little or no mechanical knowledge.

Jim
Why would you say something like that, and then just leave it hanging? You probably need to put some meat behind a statement like that.
BPoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 02:08 PM   #62

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPoland View Post
Why would you say something like that, and then just leave it hanging? You probably need to put some meat behind a statement like that.
Maybe he was including himself in the majority?
Old 01-25-2015, 02:30 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by jones47172 View Post
You cannot back a toad that is 4 wheels down because the front wheels on the car castor - they are unstable in reverse and would turn to the stop.

yep its the tow in aliment .. but with the work trucks and floats i did it any ways 75% of the time if you keep a eye on it and go slow it works or worked out for me any ways

as for nctox when he said

Keep in mind that pulling a 4000lb toad is not the same as pulling a 33,000lb coach. Your tow bar may let you get by with it, but I would not want to try it.
I have heard of others having their co-pilot get into the toad and keep the steering wheel straight while they back up just a few feet to be able to get by some obstacle, but I haven't tried it and hope I never have to.
tow bar is made to drag tha car side ways if it wanted with out tires rolling at all .. if your tow bar is that light wight that a 5000 lbs toad can make some thing fail then you need a new tow bar

the tires would spin on the toad befor it would fail
terry735001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 09:34 AM   #64

My post is a simple truth and needs no further explanation. I have recieved several PM's that agree and thank me for saying it.

Jim
jauguston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 11:36 AM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPoland View Post

Yes! This forum is about sharing information.

Also wonder about "work trucks and floats".
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 12:02 PM   #66
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorPro View Post
The people who say you can back up with a tow bar are the same ones who will be on here ranting about the crappy bar when it breaks a few thousand miles later going down the highway. They never did anything wrong and can't understand why the company won.t replace it free and pay for their wrecked toad.
Old 01-26-2015, 12:47 PM   #67

Winnebago Owners Club
I have read the thread and have some observations'

"Thinking outside the box" - great nomenclature for thinking of unique ways to solve a problem using a reasonable thought process.

There will be different force used to tow a car than to tow the MH. However . . . When towing the car it is expected that speeds (and forces generated at speed) will be much higher than while moving 100 feet or so in a level parking area. The dynamic forces I expect will be very great when hitting bumps, etc.

I have observed the small tugs used at airports pushing 100,000+ with a single tow bar hooked to the front wheel of the aircraft. Using deductive reasoning the tug does not generate 100,000+ lbs of force to move the aircraft. Nor does the tow bar look like it would last under that kind of stress.

If a strongman competition can start and pull an 18 wheeler tractor, why can't a car pull a MH?

While I would not do it, this seems like under certain conditions and low speeds it "might" work.
Old 01-26-2015, 01:56 PM   #68

Winnebago Owners Club
Wrong reference about tug pulling/pushing an aircraft. The craft has a steerable/ free float nose wheel. That inference would be more like backing a trailer. The tugs towbar hooks directly to the nose wheel apparatus and can turn it any way the driver wants.
The tug, generally speaking, has a gear ratio of .1 to 1. All it needs to do is overcome the crafts inertia. And then, of course, run over your baggage free of charge.
That's theory, in reality the co-pilot is keeping the nose wheel on the yellow line.
Just saying, this thread has gone off the deep end!

Kerry
two-niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 02:44 PM   #69

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by two-niner View Post
Wrong reference about tug pulling/pushing an aircraft. The craft has a steerable/ free float nose wheel. That inference would be more like backing a trailer. The tugs towbar hooks directly to the nose wheel apparatus and can turn it any way the driver wants.
The tug, generally speaking, has a gear ratio of .1 to 1. All it needs to do is overcome the crafts inertia. And then, of course, run over your baggage free of charge.
That's theory, in reality the co-pilot is keeping the nose wheel on the yellow line.
Just saying, this thread has gone off the deep end!

Kerry
The OP proposed keeping the wheels straight and backing up straight for a short distance at slow speed using the car as a tug. A good part of the thread was about damage to the towbar and brackets because of excessive strain.
Old 01-26-2015, 03:09 PM   #70

Does the towbar manufacturer recommend backing up or pulling your motorhome with their product?

As another said nuff said.
Elf111 is offline   Reply With Quote