Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-24-2019, 08:33 PM   #43

CMax towing experiences

Jim
I know it has been 3 years, but I am wondering which braking system you got and what you do to get the CMax ready for each towing?

Thx
tjenkens is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2019, 08:35 PM   #44

Not sure my last reply worked...Jim which braking system did you get and what do you do to prep the CMax before each towing?
Old 03-25-2019, 08:00 AM   #45

Newmar Owners Club
Braking system for C-Max Hybrid

tjenkens, we have been towing our CMax for a couple of years now. We have the Roadmaster InvisiBrake system. It was pricey to have installed, but we love the ease of use. Nothing to be taken in and out, just hook up, plug in and go.

I tired to attach the document "cheat sheet" I made for start-up, but this system wouldn't recognize the format, so here it is...

C-MAX HOOK-UP
• Engage Parking Brake
• Start car
• Shift into Neutral
• Put climate control system in “recirculated air mode”
• Run a couple of minutes
• Release Parking Brake
• Stop engine
o “Trip Summary” appears in the left instrument cluster screen
o NOTE – A “Shift to Park” or “Not in Park” message may appear when in Neutral and ignition is in off position

TOAD - 2016 Ford CMax Hybrid
For The Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 07:09 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by For The Dogs View Post
tjenkens, we have been towing our CMax for a couple of years now. We have the Roadmaster InvisiBrake system. It was pricey to have installed, but we love the ease of use. Nothing to be taken in and out, just hook up, plug in and go.

I tired to attach the document "cheat sheet" I made for start-up, but this system wouldn't recognize the format, so here it is...

C-MAX HOOK-UP
• Engage Parking Brake
• Start car
• Shift into Neutral
• Put climate control system in “recirculated air mode”
• Run a couple of minutes
• Release Parking Brake
• Stop engine
o “Trip Summary” appears in the left instrument cluster screen
o NOTE – A “Shift to Park” or “Not in Park” message may appear when in Neutral and ignition is in off position
Thanks this helps! I bought the Invisibrake on craigslist so purchase for inexpensive...now to get it installed!
Old 03-27-2019, 03:01 PM   #47

Cmax & Invisibrake

Jim,

We are currently looking at trading our Jeep Cherokee (not yet setup as toad) in for a CMax because we are concerned with the weight in our new motorhome. Old MH was 5000 lbs, new is 4500 lbs. We want to have just a little bit more wiggle room.

Did you put the Invisibrake under the driver's seat? I looked under there and saw the heating vent & didn't know if that would interfere.

--Cheryl
chellayh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 10:20 AM   #48

Thor Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I tow a 2015 cmax and i use rvi 3 brake system easy to set up
Old 03-30-2019, 10:29 PM   #49
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmblaster View Post
I tow a 2015 cmax and i use rvi 3 brake system easy to set up
Remember I asked you about it back then? Yep, it's an awesome toad! Ours is a 2014 Energi with RVi 2.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 11:13 PM   #50

Thor Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryFit View Post
Remember I asked you about it back then? Yep, it's an awesome toad! Ours is a 2014 Energi with RVi 2.
yes i do
Old 03-31-2019, 03:46 PM   #51

Fleetwood Owners Club
c-max and RVI

Hi,
I'm glad to see this thread staying up with a few posts so I figured I'd contribute again.

I used the RVI3 system with my c-max for a few trips last year. I had issues with brake lockup on one trip which a described in detail in another thread so I won't duplicate it here. Since I'd not pulled the #9 fuse, I'm hoping that is the solution.

My coach has been in cold storage over the winter so I've not had a chance to test the brake unit again. Once I do, I'll post the results here.

I will note that my coach is big enough (40' DP) and c-max light enough, that I can easily tow it without brakes in the car - and know folks who do. But I don't think that's a wise strategy - hence my purchase of the RVI.

I have experienced one "death wobble" with the c-max, turning a sharp corner at low speeds. Quickly resolved by stopping for a moment. I plan to take the car in for an alignment to set the camber high and possibly prevent that issue. But I'd never had that happen during higher-speed driving or turns.
USTrekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 04:19 PM   #52

Thor Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
yes to pulling the fuse because for some reason the brake booster pump will run causing a lockup of the cmax brakes
Old 04-02-2019, 04:29 AM   #53

Thor Owners Club
Which fuse? There are multiple fuse panels and have #9 listings. Is it the interior box or under the hood? Does this apply only to portable systems or installed Invisibrakes, too?
RI Expat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 08:36 AM   #54

Thor Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RI Expat View Post
Which fuse? There are multiple fuse panels and have #9 listings. Is it the interior box or under the hood? Does this apply only to portable systems or installed Invisibrakes, too?
Fuse located in box under the hood drivers side its either a 30 a or 40 a square fuse not sure if it needs to be pulled when using invisibrake system
Rmblaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 06:49 AM   #55

Newmar Owners Club
Cheryl - We had our invisibrake installed at an RV service center shortly after purchasing the car, and the placement is under the driver's seat. I have to admit, I don't think we were even aware of a vent under that seat, but there was no mention of there being any problem and we haven't had any problems in the two seasons of towing. The only "problems" we have noticed is that the box obstructs access to the small floor storage compartment that is located just under the back of the front seat, and if someone sits behind the driver's seat, they have to be careful with their feet so as not to kick the box. Most of the time, it's just the dogs in the back so it's rarely a problem for us.
~ CathieJo

TOAD - 2016 Ford CMax Hybrid
For The Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 07:44 AM   #56

Do you all pull Fuse #9 as suggested elsewhere in this thread? Thx

Tags
ford, toad