Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-08-2007, 08:33 AM   #1

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I seldom consider pulling a Toad because I almost always either have the Motorcycle trailer or boat behind us but would like to be set up to tow our Blazer if I wanted to. I saw this at Harbor Freight.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=94696
Harbor Freight is not know for the highest quality of tools but many are great for occasional or non commercial uses.
Does this tow bar have the same kind of hook ups as the high dollar tow bars? Would it hook right up to any standard base plate? For occasional use . if it does'nt seem quite strong enough, it looks like it could be strenthened a little, does'nt it?
Does EVERYBODY have brakes on their toad?
Denver, Colorado
max49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-08-2007, 08:33 AM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I seldom consider pulling a Toad because I almost always either have the Motorcycle trailer or boat behind us but would like to be set up to tow our Blazer if I wanted to. I saw this at Harbor Freight.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=94696
Harbor Freight is not know for the highest quality of tools but many are great for occasional or non commercial uses.
Does this tow bar have the same kind of hook ups as the high dollar tow bars? Would it hook right up to any standard base plate? For occasional use . if it does'nt seem quite strong enough, it looks like it could be strenthened a little, does'nt it?
Does EVERYBODY have brakes on their toad?
Denver, Colorado
Old 04-08-2007, 09:04 AM   #3
AL

Florida Cooters Club
Nor'easters Club
Solo Rvers Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Hey Max49,

I think it would be ok if your going to only use it every now and then, but I would not use it if I was towing a lot!!! As for breaks I have the Brake Buddy system and like it alot!! Hope this helps some!!
Old 04-08-2007, 10:46 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
How much does your Blazer weigh?? With a 5,000 lb capacity you may be pushing the limit??? There is no comparison in pricing...the Roadmaster or Blue Ox models are much more and you also need the base plate and the accessories...I think with installation I had about $1500 invested.
As to supplemental brakes,,,YES...safety issue and some states require it.
teofff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 12:02 PM   #5

Location: Atlanta, GA. , South Beach, FL. Naples, Fl , Coral Gables,FL.
it will be ok for short distance , but if i were you DON"T but it if you plan on cross country trip from east coast to west coast.
And not just that You better get the heavies truck chains for the safetly hook ups and also on the bumper for the tow vehicle to go arounf the frame rails just in case it breacks off. Those tow bars are only good for a couple of years of use and then sell it in your garage sale. Get the BLUE OX . And the Buddy brake system next time and do it right . The cars behind you would really apprecieted it.
george henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 12:45 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Well for $50, on sale now, maybe I should consider it. But will this work with a Blue Ox, or any other brand of baseplate? Or do they make them so you have to use the same brand baseplate and towbar?
The Blazer is right at 4000 lbs ish
Denver, Colorado
Old 04-08-2007, 01:32 PM   #7

If you buy it you will unwrap it from its brown package,you will feel how cheaply made it is and ask yourself"what was I thinking?". Max I follow your posts,you have always seemed like a smart guy to me,you will not be happy.

2006 FOUR WINDS HURRICANE 34N F-53
Frankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 03:44 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

No, it doesn't work with other towbar manufacturer's baseplates, but you might be able to get a welding shop to make an adapter to hook up to. If you look at the car end of the tow bar, you will see the puny little brackets they expect you to bolt to something on the car, like maybe the bumper (if your car actually had a steel bumper!). Might work on a Jeep or something with a real bumper.

This tow bar does not compare in function to the high dollar models that fold up on the back of the motorhome - it is a very basic model. You can buy a similar style/function Blue Ox Adventurer for $159 or so - see Blue Ox dventurer but you still would need baseplates, which could run anywhere from $150 - $350 depending on the make & model of vehicle.

And 5000 lbs is pushing the limits with your Blazer - they weigh nearly that much empty.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 03:45 PM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
But Frankie ; IF, it will work with a well built base plate, I would only be out $50.
Well, maybe a Blazer too.
Anyway does anyone know if the way the towbar hooks up to the baseplate , an industry standard, or do have to get matching or same mfgr. towbar and baseplate. I don't know many of the big towbar mfgrs names but for example, could you use aBlue Ox towbar with , say a roadmaster base plate or visa/versa?
Denver, Colorado
Old 04-10-2007, 02:57 PM   #10

You can get adapters for roadmaster and blueox to use either way.I have also seen them for reese and valley bars.I bought a set of baseplates for my jeep at $99 on ebay.They bolt to the frame and are very well built.Roadmaster wants over $300.Mine are permanent mount,which is fine with me,its a jeep.If you go for it fill us in on how it works out.

2006 FOUR WINDS HURRICANE 34N F-53
Frankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 03:25 PM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Max, just my opinion, but Harbor Freight sells mostly junk. I wouldn't want to risk losing my toad to a cheap tow bar when another $100 or so could prevent it. Good luck.
Craig Heyne & Co-Pilot/Navigator Sharon. 2007 Voyage 33V W20. Brazel's Ultra Power Permormance kit. CAI, Reprogramming, plug wires, Steer-Safe, Suzuki Grand Vitara toad, two spoiled cats and a GPS set to infinity.
Craig H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 06:25 PM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I'll forget that idea. Harbor Freight is OK for some things but a $50 tow bar might be alright to pull disabled jeep to the shop.
I'll have to investigate further but when I went to the blue ox site, I thought all the bars were $500 to $900.
If I were to tow a toad, it would be for a long trip, so I won't want to be worried about it falling off.
With the price of scrap iron these days, $50 is still a pretty good price if so much was'nt on the line using it.
Denver, Colorado
Old 04-10-2007, 06:41 PM   #13

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by max49:
I'll forget that idea. Harbor Freight is OK for some things but a $50 tow bar might be alright to pull disabled jeep to the shop.
I'll have to investigate further but when I went to the blue ox site, I thought all the bars were $500 to $900.
If I were to tow a toad, it would be for a long trip, so I won't want to be worried about it falling off.
With the price of scrap iron these days, $50 is still a pretty good price if so much was'nt on the line using it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Max,

I looked at this one also. The manual states that you need to fabricate a baseplate of your own design or have a welding shop make one for you. You also need to get your own safety chains or cables etc. Then a tow brake with a breakaway feature would be next adding another $1000 more or less to the cost.

Since a used tow dolly with all/most of these features can be found for less then $500 in the local Flyer or Want Adds I passed on the bar for now and am keeping my eye out for a bargain on a tow dolly.

The price does make it tempting though.
Old 04-11-2007, 04:52 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I'll have to investigate further but when I went to the blue ox site, I thought all the bars were $500 to $900. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not at all. The one I linked for you is on sale for $148.99 right now at PPL. List is around $200. That's for a basic ball mount tow bar with no frills or extras, roughly equivalent to the HF model you were considering. It's the base plates that are costly, but even that varies by vehicle type. Some aren't too bad while others are an arm and a leg.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote