Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-13-2018, 01:32 PM   #57

On our second chance to unhook the toad, I took Wrangler out of flat-tow mode, then turned the wheel fully each way and released the levers and finally put transmission in D with foot on brake allowing vehicle to come forward slightly. Then put transmission in P. Depressed levers again and pins came out easily. Note that MH and toad were parked on level ground on a paved street. If things were more challenging, might have to use other measures. In any case, thanks for all the feedback. I'll review and save the entire thread.

This Forum is fantastic! I could have never gotten all the feedback from just surfing the internet.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-13-2018, 01:43 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjschocken View Post
I have a Blue Ox Avail tow bar and tow a Jeep Wrangler behind my motorhome. In the manual it says, "park the towing vehicle in tow in a straight line on a level surface to aid in the removal of the 1/2 inch pins" when unhooking the car from the tow bar. I understand that when you do it that way, you're exerting minimum pressure/torque on the tow bar legs. However, you can't always do that and, even when I think everything is in a straight line on a reasonably level surface, it still can be hard to remove the 1/2 pins from the base plate. When I can get the pins out, I take a screw driver and tap out the pins using a rubber mallet. Sounds good and it works but on a few occasions, I've gotten the screw driver caught in the triple lug of the leg of the tow bar. If that happens, it's hard to get the screw driver out. I have to move it up and down and around and eventually I can get it out. However, it's deforming the base plate attacher (or whatever it's called) and I don't want to keep doing that. While I realize that you really want to unhook in a straight line on a perfectly level surface, that's not always possible. When you unhook and you can't easily remove the half-inch pins, how do you get them out? If you tap them out, what tools do you use?

Thanks for any suggestions/advice.
I installed a large key ring on each pin. I always position the pin so that it pulls out away from center. The rings make pulling much easier and by pulling out I keep my hands away from objects that could cut them. I have also coupled the pin and the keeper together with a cable so that the keeper is always with the pin. I have never had to use a hammer or screwdriver with this set up.
Old 09-13-2018, 03:38 PM   #59

I have not had any trouble unhooking my Avalanche from my Blue Ox tow bar. I put the TC in 2wd and pull it into the tow bar and put it in park. By wiggling the arms, the lever releases any tension and I remove the pins with one hand. No special pins or handles. Not sure why that wouldn't work for all tow bars, but maybe I'm just lucky.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 03:50 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1v3fr33ord1 View Post
We release the pin pressure by one person lifting on the (Roadmaster) levers and the other person driving the car gently towards the coach. If I am doing this by myself, I'll set the parking brake, release the levers, stuff my work gloves underneath them to prevent re-engagement, then start the car and drive it towards the coach. It has worked each time, so far.

Oh good idea. That has been a problem for me at times and wife is normally taking care of dogs while I am unhooking.

Tom
Old 09-18-2018, 08:49 PM   #61

Tractor Supply has nice towbar pins with handles. Lots of sizes. $5-7 each. Just got two.
awol50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 11:02 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by awol50 View Post
Tractor Supply has nice towbar pins with handles. Lots of sizes. $5-7 each. Just got two.
Kind-a like the ones I linked in post #55 and again in #56?
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow