Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-28-2015, 05:04 AM   #1

Issues hooking up fuse bypass on 2014 CR V

I got my 13" fuse bypass to hook up on my 2014 Honda CR V. While trying to connect the leads to the fuse block ( fuse 19) the ends keep slipping out of the fuse holder. I have tried it once to many times now the end broke off. The fuse box isnt in the most desirable location. Any way I was just wondering if someone else experienced this issue and what they did to rectify it

Attatched you can see the bypass cable as well as my issue with the ends ( they broke off)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fuse bypass.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	103.9 KB
ID:	95482   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fuse bypass1.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	95483  

edstep is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-28-2015, 12:43 PM   #2
paz

edstep, you will probably get a better response if you post your question in the "Toads and Motorhome Related Towing" section of the Motorhome Forum instead of the Travel Trailer and 5th Wheel and Truck Camper Forum.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 04:27 PM   #3

Good point, Just need to figure out how to do that
Old 05-28-2015, 04:54 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by edstep View Post
Forget about pulling fuses. The problem with the CRV is the battery is no more than an oversized Lawn Tractor battery and is not designed to operate with continuous draw for hours at a time.
Go to your Honda dealer parts department and buy a battery tray (2 prices) for an Odessy. Cost about $20.
Then, go to your NAPA or equivalent store and buy a 800-900 CCA Group 24 battery that fits the Odessy tray. Now you will have a REAL BATTERY and Problem solved. Just for good measure, you could install a Charge Line from the MH battery to the toad battery but, IMO, with a good battery, it is not needed.
Trust me, I went through all this and the battery is the answer. Never mind messing with fuses.
Old 05-28-2015, 05:03 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by edstep View Post
Here is a previous post on this subject.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/dead-...rv-231836.html
Old 05-28-2015, 05:16 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
Forget about pulling fuses. The problem with the CRV is the battery is no more than an oversized Lawn Tractor battery and is not designed to operate with continuous draw for hours at a time.
Go to your Honda dealer parts department and buy a battery tray (2 prices) for an Odessy. Cost about $20.
Then, go to your NAPA or equivalent store and buy a 800-900 CCA Group 24 battery that fits the Odessy tray. Now you will have a REAL BATTERY and Problem solved. Just for good measure, you could install a Charge Line from the MH battery to the toad battery but, IMO, with a good battery, it is not needed.
Trust me, I went through all this and the battery is the answer. Never mind messing with fuses.

This is the correct answer to all of the Honda CRV battery issues!!
Old 05-28-2015, 07:28 PM   #7

That's one answer. Another, and the one I use, is simply use a charge line from the coch to the toad. No pulling fuses, installing a bypass, zip, nada. As long as the coach is running the toad battery is kept charged.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 07:31 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selah View Post
That's one answer. Another, and the one I use, is simply use a charge line from the coch to the toad. No pulling fuses, installing a bypass, zip, nada. As long as the coach is running the toad battery is kept charged.

This is my solution as well, but I agree the battery is cheep. Maybe that's why I bought the power-pac at Costco.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
FMCA #341229
JacknKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 07:37 PM   #9

I could not get the switch wires to stay in the fuse block. I used an "add a fuse plug" which I bought at the local NAPA store which allowed me to plug in the disconnect switch to the add a fuse plug (while outside the car) and thus I was able to make sure the wires would stay attached to the "add a fuse plug". I then plugged the "add a fuse plug" into the number 19 fuse slot to install the cut off switch.

I did not want to run a charge line. These "add a fuse" plugs are used to add various powered accessories in a car using an original fuse slot with each item having its own separate fuse. The area and space to work in on the 2014 CRV fuse block makes it almost impossible to install the cutoff switch like the manufacturer says in their instructions. Using the "add a fuse" plug made it much easier to install.
CWHTRAINS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 07:45 PM   #10

I believe the item I used was referred to as:

Fuse Holder, MINI Add-A-Circuit Kit

Just make sure you buy the right size of this item, they are made in both standard size and mini-fuse size. I think the Honda was mini-fuse size, but you best check first before buying.
CWHTRAINS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 05:20 AM   #11

Thanks all for the responses

Tags
fuse