Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-26-2018, 03:43 PM   #1

Jeep Cherokee Towing

i'm looking to buy a 2015 jeep Cherokee. 4 wheel drive. looked on the remco website and this cannot be flat towed or dollied. can anyone give me info on how to make this jeep flat towable?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-26-2018, 03:51 PM   #2

Unless it has a manual transfer case, I don't think so. As far as I know, all wheel drive can't be towed. I could be wrong, but several I looked at or read about can't. I use a trailer for ours.
A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 04:01 PM   #3

Only the 2014 and up Cherokees that are flat towable are ones that have the Active Drive II transfer case. These models will have a button on the console that allows you to depress a small button with a pen to put the transfer case into neutral. The Trailhawks come with Active Drive II as standard equipment. The other trim levels can be equipped with Active Drive II but they may be few and far between.
Bikinjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 04:58 PM   #4

As mentioned you need Active Drive II for it to be flat towable, Active Drive I is not flat towable. In addition you will need to have a TSB service item done which provides power to the eletric power steering while the vehicle is off, typical installation cost for this modification is around $500.

All Trim levels of the Cherokee are available with Active Drive II 4x4, though it is only found standard on the Trailhawk, and maybe the Overland edition, We have a 2017 Overland edition Cherokee with Active Drive II, but have not yet set it up for TOAD use. If shopping on the used market and using photos the 2 things I found easiest to spot when we were shopping were the pin-hole for the neutral setting on by the gear shift, note there are 2 varieties of the knobs that both have Active Drive II, one also has Active Drive Lock. If there are no photos of the gear shift area, look for the Active Drive II logo on the lower left corner of the tail gate.

p.s. when we were shopping we only found 1 Latitude trim level Cherokee with Active Drive II on the market which was for sale about 150 miles away, so they are out there, but are rare, most of the time you find Active Drive II on the Limited or higher trim levels.

Here is a link to a photo showing the N> button that allows flat towing https://s.aolcdn.com/hss/storage/ada...e-fd-lead7.jpg
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 07:37 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
As well covered above the models with active drive II are rare. We just bought a ne 2019 Lattitude Plus with Active Drive II. Only found 2 with 150 mile radius. Sales people and owners Alice call the Active Drive I 4WD but is actually AWD. Nice, but not towable since it has no transfer case it is not “real” 4WD.
Old 12-27-2018, 08:12 AM   #6

this is great info. remco towing pretty much said the same thing. the sales staff at the dealership vigorously pointed out that this was not an issue. said they had a local shop that could set it up, but i was pretty leery. car salesmen, barbers and dentists always scared me. but not clowns. thanks- i'll keep looking

Tags
cherokee, tow, towing