Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-15-2021, 07:32 PM   #1

Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Key Position

Hello, I am new to flat towing, I have a Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk 2015. When towing what position should the key be on, Acc, or Run to keep the steering wheel from locking? I bought a charging component to charge the tow vehicle while it's being towed. However do I need to pull a fuse to slow battery drain?
Kjdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-15-2021, 08:08 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjdub View Post
Hello, I am new to flat towing, I have a Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk 2015. When towing what position should the key be on, Acc, or Run to keep the steering wheel from locking? I bought a charging component to charge the tow vehicle while it's being towed. However do I need to pull a fuse to slow battery drain?
I would start out by going to your owners manual, the process is written out step by step. that should answer your question. I have a 2018 Jeep GC i assume it would be the same but you know what they say about assumptions.
Old 06-16-2021, 05:15 AM   #3

Yes, follow the towing directions in your owners manual exactly. The 2015 Cherokee Trailhawk doesn’t have a steering lock. However, you will need to install the Mopar flat towing harness to prevent the death wobble. The process to put in tow mode is to put the transfer case in neutral, verify it’s in neutral, place the transmission in park, and turn the ignition off. The specific steps to do this are in the owners manual. Then activate the electric power steering through the flat tow harness. The steps to do this are in the flat tow harness operating instructions. A charge line is required to keep the vehicle’s battery up which will otherwise be drained while powering the electric steering during towing. No fuses need to be pulled. Read the owner’s manual for flat towing and the flat tow harness operating instructions and follow the pertinent steps exactly.
Bikinjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 09:25 AM   #4

Thank you for the help, greatly appreciated!
Kjdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 09:35 AM   #5

When going into or out or two mode, try to have the vehicle “relaxed”. Meaning release brakes and let car find a resting position, then engage brake if called for in the instructions. Reduces the “clunk” of disengage/engage.

Some find making your own engage and disengage steps is more convenient than opening the manual each time.

For us, we added tail lights in the lower reflector positions to give a bit more visibility for any inattentive followers.
Do26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 02:28 PM   #6

You might want to read up in this thread some https://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/make...ic-297500.html as well as related threads on the official flat tow wiring harness
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote