Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-01-2021, 06:06 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Jeep Cherokee wiggle

On our trip today we experienced he scary situation. We were traveling about 30 miles an hour on the freeway stuck in traffic and hit a small pothole. Our 2015 Jeep Cherokee started to violently sway back-and-forth and bouncing along the road. The jeep didn’t break free but it caused us to pull over to the emergency lane to check to see if there was any damage. I have a Blue Ox tow setup. That includes the base plate and the Aplha tow-bar part number BX7365. I also have the SMI brake system installed.

Are there any ideas on what could have caused this violence sway? Has anybody else experienced this problem? Ideas on what I can do to correct this problem?

Thanks in advance
Ohsirr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-01-2021, 06:10 PM   #2

Do a search in the forums for " Jeep death wobble " there are a number of threads on the issue .
You are not alone with the issue .
Old 10-01-2021, 06:15 PM   #3

2014-2018 Cherokees need to have a kit installed to power the electric steering box while being flat-towed. Without this modification you can have just the experience you mention.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 07:29 PM   #4

Many 2014 -2018 Cherokee owners have experienced wobbles similar to what you experienced. In fact it can be worse and happen at much higher speeds than what you experienced which is a major safety hazard and can cause serious damage to the vehicle. Jeep identified that it was necessary to power up the electronic power system during flat towing to preclude wobbles and developed a flat tow harness to allow the owner to do that power up. The affected Cherokee owners manuals were issued updates to state that the installation of a flat tow harness is required to flat tow the vehicles. Those manuals are now online and you can search for and read the current requirements for your vehicle. Jeep dealers have the flat tow harnesses available as an accessory part and can install it. I chose to purchase the harness and installed it myself on my previous 2015 Cherokee Trailhawk. The wobble can really be a major safety risk so I strongly recommend you install the flat tow harness or have it installed before further towing your vehicle. In my experience, once you get your first wobble subsequent wobbles occur more frequently.
Bikinjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 10:30 PM   #5

I suggest reading through this thread https://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/make...ic-297500.html as well as https://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/jeep...le-466164.html

and perhaps most importantly this one https://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/jeep...in-340582.html
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 08:16 AM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
If it was me I would get the Jeep up on a rack and get inspected. There have been cases of the "Wobble" causing frame welding cracks and cracks in the radiator mounts.
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 07:20 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Update. We had the tow wiring installed by the Jeep dealership $450, $800 in broken motor mounts, $890 in tires and suspension checked. We’re still experiencing death wobble and now a dead battery. This is so frustrating and now we don’t trust towing the Jeep.
Old 12-21-2021, 07:43 PM   #8

With the Jeep steering wiring harness installed there will be a drain on the battery when in tow mode. You must have a charge line from the MH to the Jeep to keep the battery from draining.
If the battery does drain the death wobble can occur as there is no power to the steering gear, just as if the wiring harness was never installed.
Steve-W is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 09:47 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohsirr View Post
Update. We had the tow wiring installed by the Jeep dealership $450, $800 in broken motor mounts, $890 in tires and suspension checked. We’re still experiencing death wobble and now a dead battery. This is so frustrating and now we don’t trust towing the Jeep.
Steve-W is correct with his advice for the need of a charge line from your coach to your Jeep battery. If you don't feel comfortable properly wiring one yourself here are a couple of links that you might find helpful:

RVi Towed Battery Charger

Toad Charge

If you are stating that even with a fully charged towed battery the electric power steering (EPS) is not activating then one of two things could be happening.

1. The wiring kit was not properly installed by your dealer. The EPS can be activated at anytime. The Jeep does not have to be connected to your coach. Did the dealer demonstrate that the EPS was actually activating when you were at the dealership? When properly activated you should be able to sit in the driver's seat and easily turn the wheel back and forth.

2. If the kit was properly installed and working at the dealership then I would suspect you might not be following the directions correctly. The step by step sequence needs to be followed precisely (hopefully they gave you written instructions).

I have mine setup a little differently than stock, but as I recall the sequence should be as follows:

Sit in the driver's seat and open the door. Wait for the dash lights to go dark. Open the center console and flip the switch ON. Exit the vehicle and insert the fuse in the installed holder in the engine compartment. By the time you get back in the driver's seat you should be able to easily turn the wheel.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 09:21 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobGed View Post
Steve-W is correct with his advice for the need of a charge line from your coach to your Jeep battery. If you don't feel comfortable properly wiring one yourself here are a couple of links that you might find helpful:

RVi Towed Battery Charger

Toad Charge

If you are stating that even with a fully charged towed battery the electric power steering (EPS) is not activating then one of two things could be happening.

1. The wiring kit was not properly installed by your dealer. The EPS can be activated at anytime. The Jeep does not have to be connected to your coach. Did the dealer demonstrate that the EPS was actually activating when you were at the dealership? When properly activated you should be able to sit in the driver's seat and easily turn the wheel back and forth.

2. If the kit was properly installed and working at the dealership then I would suspect you might not be following the directions correctly. The step by step sequence needs to be followed precisely (hopefully they gave you written instructions).

I have mine setup a little differently than stock, but as I recall the sequence should be as follows:

Sit in the driver's seat and open the door. Wait for the dash lights to go dark. Open the center console and flip the switch ON. Exit the vehicle and insert the fuse in the installed holder in the engine compartment. By the time you get back in the driver's seat you should be able to easily turn the wheel.

Thanks for the advice. I ran the test you suggested and everything worked out perfectly. I ordered the Towed Battery Charger Plus.
Old 12-23-2021, 09:28 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohsirr View Post
Thanks for the advice. I ran the test you suggested and everything worked out perfectly. I ordered the Towed Battery Charger Plus.
Great to hear the kit was installed correctly. Thanks for posting your update.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cherokee, jeep