Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-06-2018, 12:31 PM   #43

Newmar Owners Club
Thank you very much for your reply. My set up is 6 pins but I will test to ensure the Jeep battery is charging. Yes we are members of Kountry Klub, signed up 1 week ago. Not sure what I get for it nor how to use but I'll figure it out. Hope to meet you one of these days. Pierre
lesliepierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-08-2018, 07:09 AM   #44

wiring it

Glad you joined, it normally takes several weeks to get your it of information but it is well worth $ especially if you are new to the RV life style the real part is the data and friendship you get from members at rally's. Any questions about the membership call Linda at 877-639-5582. Enjoy your new rig.

dixon
daviddixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 03:15 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by daviddixon View Post
Then took coach and Jeep to my Newmar dealer who installed direct charging from my coach to the Jeep so I have power all the time, 20 amp fuse setup so I don't over charge.
Something's wrong. Placing a fuse in a DC circuit limits current, but not voltage, which is how overcharging happens. Fuses are rated in amps, not volts.

Not saying your installation won't work, just saying that the fuse by itself won't prevent overcharging, IMO.
fottip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 04:37 AM   #46

wiring kit

Thanks for the comment, I am of the opinion that all will work, will be on the road for three weeks see what happens.
dixon
Old 04-23-2018, 02:33 PM   #47

Update: Have towed about 800 miles since having the harness installed. It works well and the fuse is not difficult to install or remove.

I asked my electrical guy about wiring a switch and he said $300. We are going to skip adding the new switch.
barryvo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 01:58 PM   #48

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Need pictures; Help

I have received the flat tow wiring harness. The on/off switch location shown in the instructions will block the SD card, USB port and the 12v power outlet in my 2018 Trailhawk. I don't want to block them with a switch. I think the instruction picture is for a 2017 Cherokee bc it shows coin storage slots. My 2018 doesn't have those. Need pictures of the switch locations already installed in 2018s to I can decide where to locate my switch.
flywithcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 04:48 PM   #49

Winnebago Owners Club
2018 Cherokee

I installed the wiring harness per the MOPAR instructions in my 2018 Cherokee. The switch goes between the USB and 12v port inside the armrest part of the console, not in front of the shifter where the SD slot is.

The kit doesn't include the relay and doesn't specify what relay should be used. I found a generic power relay with the same connector layout that appears to work.
JTWard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 10:45 AM   #50

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTWard View Post
I installed the wiring harness per the MOPAR instructions in my 2018 Cherokee. The switch goes between the USB and 12v port inside the armrest part of the console, not in front of the shifter where the SD slot is.

The kit doesn't include the relay and doesn't specify what relay should be used. I found a generic power relay with the same connector layout that appears to work.
Thanks for this posting. I had a brain fart and never thought the on/off switch went inside the console storage compartment. I was trying to figure out why MOPAR wanted it installed at the front of the console when it obviously would not fit in that location.
Old 04-27-2018, 01:30 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by flywithcoop View Post
Thanks for this posting. I had a brain fart and never thought the on/off switch went inside the console storage compartment. I was trying to figure out why MOPAR wanted it installed at the front of the console when it obviously would not fit in that location.
After towing our '15 Trailhawk 25,000 miles the last 3 years, I finally decided to get the wobble harness done since Jeep picked up the tab given my 12/14 purchase date (well before this was an "acknowledged" potential issue), and that I had opened an original case with Jeep about a year ago (but had not gotten around to doing it until now).

I figured why push my luck, and my service advisor at our Jeep dealership was very helpful and supportive of doing it; their first install of a kit, kind of surprising given how big they are....... I ordered the harness in Feb. and it came in early April.

And I will also say both case managers at Jeep that I worked with were extremely helpful as well.

As a side note, I only had one very slow speed wobble event in those 25,000 miles. I was making a left turn across a 4 lane, through a hump in the median cross over, and a dip / rise on the other side onto a side road leading into a gas station. I was fully prepared for it to happen in this case given the ups, downs, and relatively tight turns. It did one back and forth, very obvious what was happening, and I stopped immediately, probably no more than 20' after straighting out. My wife said, "what was that"?......

While driving all those miles with no other wobble incidents, we were both very cognizant of the chance of it happening, mostly concerned with higher speeds, particularly on odd road transitions, uneven pavement, grooved pavement, etc., kind of driving on "high alert" in those cases...... I was never overly concerned of a slow speed wobble, particularly after experiencing it that one time; it just wasn't a big deal.

Haven't towed with it yet, but did check it out and it does power up / off as expected. And I bought a box of extra fuses and a small fuse puller to keep in the console.

I already had a charge line on the Jeep since I have an SMI Stay N Play brake system.

Here's the red switch location, between the USB and 12V outlet inside the console.

Regards
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	61
Size:	156.1 KB
ID:	200685  
Betr2Trvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 06:10 AM   #52

Wiring Harness

Glad to see the harness is working well for you, I now have over 1000 towing miles on mine and it too is working as Jeep in visioned although several years later. Wish Jeep can inform their dealers to inform their customers of what to expect prior to purchase, it is not the extra cost but the unknown. My wife still loves her Jeep
Old 04-29-2018, 06:29 AM   #53

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We bought our 2017 Trailhawk on April. 7 (used with 13K on the clock) and ordered the death wobble kit the same day. A week later our sales rep told us it was in, but false alarm. It was someone else's. He gave me an update ship date of 4/24.

I talked with the dealer's parts guy yesterday and its not in yet, but he was able to confirm that it was shipped. He made the remarks about, "oh, that cable" and
"it looks like they were able to find you one" so they must have more than a few on order. Jeep must ship it by wagon train as its taking awhile to get there. I hope we can get it installed next week.

I had a Roadmaster base plate installed last week and have a Falcon All Terrain tow bar and RViBrake 3 braking unit and their battery charger

I had to order the stop plate angle brackets from RViBrake as the Trailhawk doesn't have a deep enough floor pan. I think they are on the same wagon as the cable as FedEx says it will not show up until Thursday (we live 30 miles from RViBrake). The brackets were free but the cost is in slow shipping. I should have just driven down there.
DenverTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 01:48 PM   #54

Tks for all the info on Cherokee flat tow kit. Just took delivery of 2019 Cherokee Trailhawk & had order & install flat tow kit in sales agreement. Now dealer says having problems ordering kit. We’ll see how this goes. I gave dealer p/n & service bulletin listed in this tread, see if that helps dealer.
RM travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 06:20 AM   #55

iring haness

Good luck hope all works out for you and your new Jeep.
Old 05-01-2018, 07:58 AM   #56

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RM travelers View Post
Tks for all the info on Cherokee flat tow kit. Just took delivery of 2019 Cherokee Trailhawk & had order & install flat tow kit in sales agreement. Now dealer says having problems ordering kit. We’ll see how this goes. I gave dealer p/n & service bulletin listed in this tread, see if that helps dealer.
My dealer said the same thing. The flat tow harness is not listed in their parts catalog so they think it is not available. I told my dealer to order it anyway and it was delivered in about 3 weeks. So, keep trying.

Tags
tow, wiring