Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-13-2022, 08:04 AM   #1
doc

Appalachian Campers
Jeep Compass vs Wrangler

Talk to me about a Jeep Compass vs a Wrangler 4 dr I have now.
Towability? Weight? Desirability as a towed?
I saw one yesterday and liked the looks but it occurred I have never seen one behind a MH. Well, not that I paid any attention to if I even saw one.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-13-2022, 11:30 AM   #2

The Jeep Compass was just introduced the year I retired from Chrysler ,so I'm not 100% sure , but I believe the transmission ( CVT ?) makes them , not flat towable .

What year of Compass were you looking at ?
Old 09-13-2022, 12:41 PM   #3
PKI

Quote from a Google search - The Jeep Compass and the Jeep Renegade aren't suitable for flat towing (no – not even if you shift them into Neutral). With certain vehicles like these, towing with the drive wheels on the ground is likely to result in damage to the powertrain.Nov 21, 2021

I thought that was the case, but could not remember what my previous search turned up. The Compass is a nice looking SUV. There are several at our local dealer. I can understand your interest.

The Cherokee is the four door Jeep SUV 4-down dinghy tow candidate if you don't like the Wrangler. It must have the Active Drive II transfer case and current models are only available with ADII on the Trailhawk.

The Cherokee Trailhawk with the leather seat option is comfortable (lumbar on the passenger side) and the independent suspension has a good ride. We felt it made the best compromise for our requirements. The rough/rugged design of the Wrangler was not appealing, but the reality that Wranglers hold their value kept us looking at the option. Keeping your Wrangler is not a bad strategy.
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 01:50 PM   #4

The Compass was approved for flat towing during several years of first generation models. The model years they were listed in the dinghy towing guides, I believe, were 2009 through 2016.

The second generation, 2017 forward, are not listed in the towing guides as being approved by the manufacturer.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 04:37 AM   #5

Note that only the manual transmission version of the first generation compass is flat towable. We had one of those 2009-2010 Compasses with manual transmission as a runabout vehicle at work, gear shift feel was awful, (like a 1980's econo box, it was like shifting a bowl mashed potatoes), also gear shift position was bad, and this is coming from someone that currently owned 3 manual transmission vehicles (Toyota Yaris, Dodge Challenger SRT-8, and 2000 F250), and have owned at least another 3-4 over the years.

As to the Cherokee, we like ours, it is the fully loaded 2017 Overland edition with leather dashboard, lane centering, heated leather seats, adaptive cruise control, etc. Note only the Cherokees with the optional Active Drive II are flat towable, this is a standard feature on the Trailhawk and optional (rare) on other trim levels. Active drive I, and 2 wheel drive models are not flat towable.

p.s. Someone mentioned the Jeep Renegade, I had one as a rental car for about 7 weeks 3-4 years ago, the thing was flaky dashboard would light up like a Christmas tree at random and it would loose power at random, it only had about 10,000 miles on it, but it was a rental so who knows.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 04:45 AM   #6

Just my opinion but the only Jeep I can recommend to tow 4 down is a Wrangler.
Why
1. Easy setup, the manual transfer case shifter 4x4 makes it simple. The electronic 4x4 transfer case is just too much
2. Designed to be pulled out of gear
3. Blueox Baseplate almost invisible, or after market approve bumpers with no baseplate
4. Goes anywhere.
5. Built like a tank
6. Holds it’s value
7. You can put 2 Lectric XP Lite Ebikes in the back easy.
Looky at my video
https://youtu.be/2IYbbn_IoBE
8. The Sunrider Top is a great accessory
Looky at my video
https://youtu.be/YXRE3Uj9D6Q
Only negative is the price, but who cares?
2cyber71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 11:03 AM   #7

Jeep Cherokee with Active Drive II is flat towable. Allows placing transmission into Neutral Mode. This is more than just shifting to neutral.
AllegroD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 12:33 PM   #8
doc

Appalachian Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
The Jeep Compass was just introduced the year I retired from Chrysler ,so I'm not 100% sure , but I believe the transmission ( CVT ?) makes them , not flat towable .

What year of Compass were you looking at ?
I don't know what year it was. He passed me yesterday and I liked the size and I assume it would be lighter than my Wrangler. Looked good and my wife liked it as well. We have a tough time getting her into the Wrangler sometimes because she cannot use her legs and I have to pick her up and put her in the seat. Figure it might be easier in a lower seat vehicle
It looks safer to just stay with the Wrangler and take some weight training
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2022, 01:04 PM   #9
PKI

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post
-- snip-- Figure it might be easier in a lower seat vehicle
It looks safer to just stay with the Wrangler and take some weight training
OK - that requirement throws a wrench in the Cherokee suggestion. It can only be towed four down with the ADII transfer case and that option comes with a chassis lift. Wife is 5-3 and is challenged a bit to enter and exit. We will give some thought to using smaller diameter tires when we replace the OEM Firestones, unless our use changes to more off-road travel.

Given your issue, I wonder if a seat with power adjustment could be retrofitted to your current ride. Wife struggles to enter our X5, but it's because she raises the seat to sit higher and does not lower it for entry and exit. A seat change might also deliver a more comfortable ride for both driver and passenger.
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jeep