RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-07-2019, 10:32 AM   #15

Thanks guys, that's my plan this weekend -- to check out some of the little things that I can do.
old golfer guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-07-2019, 02:03 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by AE Wanderer View Post
All my experience is with straight sixes in Jeeps. If my six did that, the first thing I would check is the fuel filter, then the air mass flow sensor.
Jeeps don't use MAF sensors, they are a speed density system. I don't think that particular model even has a fuel filter.

Bottom line is we can guess all day long but until the OP gather actual data that's all we're doing is guessing. The OP commented about it being fixed because it quite stumbling but in my 30+ years as a mechanic I have not seen things fix themselves. There is obviously something not functioning correctly and replacing parts or guessing is not the best way to fix anything.
zmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 02:19 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by old golfer guy View Post
You guys are FAN ------G TASTIC!! I ask a question and the next day poof the car is fixed!! Have not done anything to the Jeep, but I started it today and drove it around a little and no problems!! All those good vibes from you guys fixed the problem. Or maybe it was something in the fuel filter, lines or tank.
Any way it is fine now.

Thanks
Now you can enjoy a delicious glass of dry gas.
Old 02-07-2019, 03:55 PM   #18

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by zmotorsports View Post
Jeeps don't use MAF sensors, they are a speed density system. I don't think that particular model even has a fuel filter.

Bottom line is we can guess all day long but until the OP gather actual data that's all we're doing is guessing. The OP commented about it being fixed because it quite stumbling but in my 30+ years as a mechanic I have not seen things fix themselves. There is obviously something not functioning correctly and replacing parts or guessing is not the best way to fix anything.
Guess you do not like my wording. I do know yes the 4.0l had an air flow sensor in it. When it got dirty, the Jeep would stumble. Mine did it on the trail. Many in our Jeep Club had the same issue at different times.

Seems the OP problem went away, so it is a none issue now.
AE Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 04:19 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Guess you do not like my wording. I do know yes the 4.0l had an air flow sensor in it. When it got dirty, the Jeep would stumble. Mine did it on the trail. Many in our Jeep Club had the same issue at different times.

Seems the OP problem went away, so it is a none issue now.
Sorry, without getting into a long debate the Jeep 4.0 litre did NOT have a MAF sensor. Whatever you and your fellow trail buddies thought you were cleaning was NOT the mass airflow sensor as they have used a speed density system in the TJ as well as JK platforms along with most other Jeep products. Chrysler has used mainly speed density systems in their vehicles and relied heavily on algorithms vs. mass airflow systems.

You may have been cleaning something but it wasn't a MAF sensor.
Old 02-07-2019, 05:10 PM   #20

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by zmotorsports View Post
Sorry, without getting into a long debate the Jeep 4.0 litre did NOT have a MAF sensor. Whatever you and your fellow trail buddies thought you were cleaning was NOT the mass airflow sensor as they have used a speed density system in the TJ as well as JK platforms along with most other Jeep products. Chrysler has used mainly speed density systems in their vehicles and relied heavily on algorithms vs. mass airflow systems.

You may have been cleaning something but it wasn't a MAF sensor.
Agree, it was not an MAF. It was and is the air sensor in the intake manifold.
AE Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 05:36 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Agree, it was not an MAF. It was and is the air sensor in the intake manifold.
So we agree that would in fact would not be the MAF but rather the MAP and not an air sensor but actually a Manifold Absolute Pressure sensor. This is what Chrysler used to determine not only the load on the engine once it is running but also to select the correct algorithm for the fuel and ignition tables per ignition cycle. These are fairly reliable and easily measured by most scan tools that show live data. Doubtful that is the OP's issue however.

Tags
ems, engine, problem, problems