Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-04-2018, 09:02 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Jeep flat tow wiring harness installed at factory

Hi, just got back today from the dealers where I bought my 2019 Jeep Cherokee 4x4 Latitude.
I had taken it in to have the flat tow wiring harness installed.
He checked it out and said the factory had already done it.
Mind you he even didn't know until then. LOL
I am going to get a new steering wheel though!
ttazzmm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2018, 11:10 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttazzmm3 View Post
Hi, just got back today from the dealers where I bought my 2019 Jeep Cherokee 4x4 Latitude.
Wow, you've got a 2019 model Jeep, that's pretty good. I'm gonna assume it's a "type-o". But, I'm also a bit confused. You're saying that your new Jeep is already wired for flat towing, in the form of using the factory tail lights, for toad lights when hooked up to an RV, is that what I'm reading? Does this mean that you also have an umbilical plug on the front of your new Jeep?
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 12:25 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
I said a flat tow wiring harness, should have said "Mopar flat tow wiring kit" which is what the manual says in at least three different places.
Very strange, so will be talking with dealership some more.
Well its going to take a of couple weeks for “Roadmaster brackets” to be made for the new 2019 Jeep Cherokee 4x4 Latitude.
Fire up, sorry I wasn't clear. I meant year 2019
Old 06-05-2018, 12:41 PM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 05:46 PM   #5

Quote:
I said a flat tow wiring harness, should have said "Mopar flat tow wiring kit" which is what the manual says in at least three different places.
Very strange, so will be talking with dealership some more.
Well its going to take a of couple weeks for ďRoadmaster bracketsĒ to be made for the new 2019 Jeep Cherokee 4x4 Latitude.
Fire up, sorry I wasn't clear. I meant year 2019
No need to be sorry. In the light of the fact that the '18 model year Jeeps have only been out for a month to a month and a half, I'm just wondering how you got a '19 so early. That's pretty cool.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 08:30 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
No need to be sorry. In the light of the fact that the '18 model year Jeeps have only been out for a month to a month and a half, I'm just wondering how you got a '19 so early. That's pretty cool.
Scott
My son used to work for Earnhardt in Chandler,AZ.
Still knows some people!!
I didn't think they would have a 2019, I just gave them the quote from the Jeep web site and pres-to Heggs Jeep just had it on the lot.

Of course GOD helped!! LOL

HE knows my wife and I really hate the whole process of buying a car.
Old 06-06-2018, 04:57 AM   #7

Quote:
Congrats on the new Jeep! Where did the factory install the flat tow kit control switch? I just looked at a 2019 Trailhawk and it was not installed. Salesman didn't have any idea what I was talking about. Actually took a copy of my instructions that Jeep provided with the kit for my 2014 to share with others at his dealership.

Our switch is located in the center console.

The 2019s are everywhere in my area. More of those on the lots than the 2018.
JJPP17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 08:44 AM   #8
Commercial Member

Quote:
op - I am 99.9999% certain that your dealer rep is confused and he is referring to the OEM Trailer Wiring Harness. There is simply way too small of a percentage of Jeeps being towed that the factory could rationalize the installation of a flat tow wiring harness. These guys quibble over parts that cost $1 more per vehicle sold. I think you need to have another discussion with them.
CoolTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 09:42 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nota4re View Post
op - I am 99.9999% certain that your dealer rep is confused and he is referring to the OEM Trailer Wiring Harness. There is simply way too small of a percentage of Jeeps being towed that the factory could rationalize the installation of a flat tow wiring harness. These guys quibble over parts that cost $1 more per vehicle sold. I think you need to have another discussion with them.
I agree that it is probably the trailer wiring harness. This has come up before.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 11:46 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobGed View Post
I agree that it is probably the trailer wiring harness. This has come up before.
It does not have a trailer harness or hitch going to have installed.
It was the service manager that checked out the car, he also said that computer had already been programed for it.
Old 06-07-2018, 01:01 PM   #11

Now we have a "flat tow wiring harness" for the electronic steering issue. The "tow wiring harness" for towing a trailer. The "toad wiring harness" for operating the vehicle lights when towing behind a motorhome. I'm sure others will use different nomenclature. Plus folks like Hopkins will come up with their own terminology. We'll have plenty of folks (service managers, salespeople, users and posters on here) who don't know one harness from another giving confusing advice and opinions.

I see a lot of confusion in our future.

And I didn't even mention diode kits and toad brake wiring kits and trailer brake wiring kits. Good grief Charlie Brown.
hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 10:13 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJPP17 View Post
Congrats on the new Jeep! Where did the factory install the flat tow kit control switch? I just looked at a 2019 Trailhawk and it was not installed. Salesman didn't have any idea what I was talking about. Actually took a copy of my instructions that Jeep provided with the kit for my 2014 to share with others at his dealership.

Our switch is located in the center console.

The 2019s are everywhere in my area. More of those on the lots than the 2018.
I just took delivery on 2019 Trailhawk. I talked them into including the flat tow kit at no charge (see my new thread). They have it and will install on Monday.

Likewise my salespeople were clueless. They checked with service to verify that the flat tow wiring is NOT included with 2019.

Unfortunately there aren’t baseplates available yet...and it differs from Standard Cherokee and 2018.
LarryinID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 10:18 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by nota4re View Post
I agree. See if there is a way to verify. If factory installed it should be on their invoice and window sticker. It (normally) isn’t free and some estimates for installation are very high.

Be sure you get it in writing on your purchase agreement.

It is a major safety issue.
LarryinID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 02:09 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryinID View Post
I just took delivery on 2019 Trailhawk. I talked them into including the flat tow kit at no charge (see my new thread). They have it and will install on Monday.

Likewise my salespeople were clueless. They checked with service to verify that the flat tow wiring is NOT included with 2019.

Unfortunately there arenít baseplates available yet...and it differs from Standard Cherokee and 2018.
Looks like Roadmaster has a baseplate for the 2019 Cherokee Trailhawk.

https://fitmaster.roadmasterinc.com/...EE&type=direct
Bikinjim is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
install, led, tow, wiring