Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-26-2015, 07:28 PM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by narampa View Post
Ok the Dealer just called. He says what would work for me is a Jeep Cherokee North. I never heard of it. Your Ideas please.
Are they any good?
That's a Cherokee, not a Grand Cherokee. Which one are you actually looking at? They're very different vehicles. As another poster pointed out, there have been some transmission issues with the Cherokee.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2015, 07:57 PM   #16

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by britcon View Post
I think you would need the Jeep Active Drive 2 transmission option. " North " is a package of options. Of course the Salesman recommended the most expensive model available !? - Starting MSRP of 31k.
There has been a fair amount of comment on various sites, including this one, concerning transmission issues on the new Cherokees. I would proceed with caution
Yes I'm not sold on the "North" I'm going to go look at it but just out of curiosity. I have lots of time on my hands so I will be using caution.
I understand that when you put pedal to the metal you can read a book before things happen. 9 speed transmission!

Thank you for your reply.
Ted Lambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 08:30 PM   #17

What ever it is that you are thinking about the 9/8 speed transmission, don't! That transmission is the best thing to ever happen to a vehicle. It shifts so smooth, it's almost infinite, the other thing is it helps the fuel mileage, believe it or not, the engine doesn't lug, just shifts up and the engine seems never to work. I had an '11, that had the Hemi, did just fine in MI. but the stop and go in AZ. the fuel mileage was not so hot. I traded it for another GC, '14 diesel, and I am tickled to death with this vehicle! I love to drive it, it's comfortable, and is no slouch on the throttle. The Hemi, has 395 ft. lbs. of Torque, the diesel, has 430. you can not tell the difference, they both can really scat.
GreaTOne65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 08:38 PM   #18

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaTOne65 View Post
What ever it is that you are thinking about the 9/8 speed transmission, don't! That transmission is the best thing to ever happen to a vehicle. It shifts so smooth, it's almost infinite, the other thing is it helps the fuel mileage, believe it or not, the engine doesn't lug, just shifts up and the engine seems never to work. I had an '11, that had the Hemi, did just fine in MI. but the stop and go in AZ. the fuel mileage was not so hot. I traded it for another GC, '14 diesel, and I am tickled to death with this vehicle! I love to drive it, it's comfortable, and is no slouch on the throttle. The Hemi, has 395 ft. lbs. of Torque, the diesel, has 430. you can not tell the difference, they both can really scat.
Good to hear tomorrow I test drive one. Was yours the v6 or the 4 cly?
Old 11-27-2015, 09:49 PM   #19

I think you are going to pleasantly surprised by the Jeeps. I drove a Cherokee with 4 cyd with the 8 speed transmission, and would have bought one if they had had a red limited. I talked to a man before we came west, who was driving a GC limited with a V-6 gas, and he was a excited about his vehicle as I was with mine. I'd like to hear your thoughts after your test drive.
Old 11-28-2015, 09:21 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
I went from a 2012 GC Overland Hemi with the 6 speed to a 2014 GC Overland Hemi with the 8 speed. The 6 speed had screwy gear ratios and first gear was way too high for my towing usage. The 8 speed has a lower first gear and evenly spaced ratios making it a pleasure to drive. It was the only somewhat small vehicle I could find that could easily be flat towed and tow up to 7200 lbs itself.
Old 11-28-2015, 05:19 PM   #21

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingDiver View Post
That's a Cherokee, not a Grand Cherokee. Which one are you actually looking at? They're very different vehicles. As another poster pointed out, there have been some transmission issues with the Cherokee.
I tried out the 2015. Grand Cherokee the Trail Hawk the Cherokee. Everyone loaded to the nuts, but there was a big problem.
My wife has a medical condition that is very painful when sitting. Leather seats in the new Jeeps are a killer.
She has a Nissan Frontier 4x4 with cloth seats and she is able to take max 2.5 hours of sitting. So as you can imagine we stop a lot.
Because the Nissan can't be flat towed and a $40 thousand dollar Jeep would not work we did find something ready to go. A 2006 Jeep Liberty ready to go.
It is strange how the cloth seat makes such a difference.
As the years go by my wife's condition gets worse we are sure pleased that the motor home travel works OK with the big armchair seats. I have attached the info on the liberty.
Old 11-29-2015, 11:12 AM   #22

Very sorry to hear about your wife's condition. My wife likes the leather seats better than cloth. But you have to do what's necessary. The '06 looks like it should work very well.
Old 12-01-2015, 07:28 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by britcon View Post
I think you would need the Jeep Active Drive 2 transmission option. " North " is a package of options. Of course the Salesman recommended the most expensive model available !? - Starting MSRP of 31k.
There has been a fair amount of comment on various sites, including this one, concerning transmission issues on the new Cherokees. I would proceed with caution
I have a 2015 Cherokee Limited ADII that has already had a new transmission at 7,000 miles, and the new one ain't great either. Stick to the Grand Cherokee.
BPoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 08:02 PM   #24

Sorry to hear about your troubles with your Cherokee. I have 2 other couples, pulling Cherokees behind their motorhomes, hope they don't experience those kinds of troubles. I am a believer in that transmission, and they are using it in nearly every vehicle they build.
Old 12-01-2015, 08:12 PM   #25

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaTOne65 View Post
Sorry to hear about your troubles with your Cherokee. I have 2 other couples, pulling Cherokees behind their motorhomes, hope they don't experience those kinds of troubles. I am a believer in that transmission, and they are using it in nearly every vehicle they build.
The ZF 9-speed transmission is only being used in the Jeep Cherokee, and possibly the Chrysler 200, and has experienced a lot of problems.

The Grand Cherokee has a 8-speed transmission which is a completely different animal.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 06:00 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobGed View Post
The ZF 9-speed transmission is only being used in the Jeep Cherokee, and possibly the Chrysler 200, and has experienced a lot of problems.

The Grand Cherokee has a 8-speed transmission which is a completely different animal.
Don't get me wrong. I love my Cherokee. It rides nice. Has all the creature comforts I want. It's easy to set up for towing behind our Bay Star, and it tows well. It's just the dependability issue for me. Seriously considering trying a lemon law replacement.
BPoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 08:19 AM   #27

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to jdoc
With all the tranny problems the Cherokee is having we went with the Wrangler Sport Unlimited. Been towing it for over a year now and no problems.

Jerry
Old 12-02-2015, 09:07 AM   #28

Hey Jerry, what transmission are they using in the Wrangler? I thought about the Wrangler, but the wheel base is short, and I didn't think I wanted to have that as my only vehicle. Used to drive Jeeps, the old CJ5, so I thought I knew how and what to expect from the ride.