Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-08-2019, 04:45 AM   #197

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Update to my last post above:

I had prompt contact from Steve Stander, "Executive Referrals Manager" from FCA after having sent email directly to Mike Manley, FCA CEO about the Grand Cherokee EPS issue at the end of January. Mr. Stander advised me on 2/4/19 that he was not directly aware of the post-2016 GC "death wobble" problem but that he would investigate it and report back to me as to the status of FCA efforts to address it and find a solution.

I spent a good bit of time relaying to Mr. Stander a summary of all info I had been able to digest from this thread about the specific problems people have reported and the info that has been developed here about how and why the issue occurs -- including the process involved in devising the wiring harness to address the issue in Cherokee models. I mentioned the outstanding work done by Lass that has been reported to FCA with no response to date.

It appeared to be a productive session with Mr. Stander although I am not sure what will come of it.

I will, of course, report back to this thread as to what, if any, feed back I get from FCA that will move the ball forward for us and if there is no response forthcoming within a week, I will email Mr. Stander to see if FCA plans to take steps voluntarily to address the issue further.

At the same time, would be good to see federal safety authorities take the matter up to really put a sharp point on the pencil here.

Deek
FMCA #363986 / 'Living the Dream' ... What an Incredible Hoot!
2020 Newmar Dutch Star 4369 / Freightliner with DriveTech / All Electric / NHSO
Deek is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-08-2019, 06:30 AM   #198

Deek. Have you received my chain of emails?
Old 02-08-2019, 07:25 PM   #199

Deek,

Thanks for your work on this. We would like to purchase a GC as a toad but have not pulled the trigger yet.
KiteSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 10:18 AM   #200

Deek. Just finished reading your post and have to say that I’m disappointed in the comment from Steve Stander. Since has was my FCA direct contact for over 6 months, he is well aware that we have over 50 emails of communication between us and that he also has a copy of the spreadsheet which identifies all known members who have experienced the wobble.

Keep pushing and see where it leads.
Old 02-09-2019, 11:54 AM   #201

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I have experienced this phenomenon so many times I stopped counting. I now literally make my turns at about 2 mph over any slightly rough surface. Does anyone believe after so many occurrences of the wobble something in the steering system could get loose and increase the wobble frequency? The Jeep drives perfectly and seems as tight as when it was new. Tire front tire wear is down to 5/32's. Could less friction increase the wobble frequency?
FlyCMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 06:36 PM   #202

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lass View Post
Deek. Have you received my chain of emails?
No! But glad to know that you have communicated with him. That will be helpful info.

Put in another call to him today (Saturday) but it was his office phone that he gave so I doubt I’ll hear anything until next week at earliest.

I will keep trying!

Deek
Old 02-10-2019, 01:13 PM   #203

I took the time to email Mr Manley. One of his assistants called me back to get some more information. During our conversation she indicated that unless I took my GC to the dealer and they were able to re-create the problem, there wasn’t much they could do. I asked her if the had a motorhome that they could tow it with, cause I’m not bringing mine in? She said, uh, no. So, my take on it was, just if the service department can’t duplicate it, there is nothing they will do about it.
BPoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 07:11 PM   #204

American Coach Owners Club
Best of luck with this.
mhudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 07:45 PM   #205

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPoland View Post
I took the time to email Mr Manley. One of his assistants called me back to get some more information. During our conversation she indicated that unless I took my GC to the dealer and they were able to re-create the problem, there wasn’t much they could do. I asked her if the had a motorhome that they could tow it with, cause I’m not bringing mine in? She said, uh, no. So, my take on it was, just if the service department can’t duplicate it, there is nothing they will do about it.
This sounds like the classic corporate blowoff. The service department will be able to do nothing, even if you are able to recreate the problem. They may perform a complete 131 point safety inspection and tell you everything is good, but they don’t have a solution and aren’t likely to even attempt anything without corporate guidance. This has been going on for 3 years.

Yes, it happens to people flat towing behind a coach, but those numbers are insignificant to FCA as is evidenced by their response to multiple and repeated efforts to find a solution. Those efforts are appreciated. The solution will probably be found sooner by a shade tree mechanic developing a harness or finding a way to install the steering from a 2015 on the newer models. Or legal action.
RVPioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 06:57 AM   #206

I would hate to be in FCA’s shoes if the “wobble” caused someone to lose control of their coach. The cost of damage to somebody’s coach would be the least of their worries. Given the number of notifications they have received about this problem, and their lack of action on their part, a lawyer could have a field day. I wonder how they would respond to a class action lawsuit. That being said, I hope everyone is safe out there. It has happened to me on 4 occasions, in 5,000 of towing. In my case, that’s not enough to warrant dumping my GC. I love the GC. Compared to my old 2015 Cherokee Limited, it’s been great.
BPoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 09:44 AM   #207

There’s no telling where legal action would lead. I’d imagine that they have a pretty healthy team of lawyers and a great deal of influence as well. It seems their response to date is: “We’ll look into it and get back to you” which could technically make them “unaware” since they haven’t found a problem.

The Jeep line is a popular and profitable product for affluent customers. One would think that FCA’s level of concern on this matter would be a bit higher.
RVPioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 02:13 PM   #208

American Coach Owners Club
The response and fix they sent me was to trailer tow it. Great solution.
Thank God its gone. Its been gone for seven months and 5000 miles of problem free towing.
mhudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 08:46 PM   #209

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
FCA Official Response

Today I heard back from Steve Stander, "Executive Referrals Manager" from FCA.

As indicated previously, I had written to Mike Manley, FCA CEO, about the Grand Cherokee "Death Wobble" issue. After doing so, I was promptly contacted by Mr. Stander via telephone. I had a lengthy phone conversation with Mr. Stander. Mr. Stander indicated that he would investigate within FCA to determine what was known about the issue and then report back to me as to possible corrective action by FCA (see my earlier post, above).

In a message to me this morning, Mr. Stander acknowledged that FCA is aware of the "Death Wobble" issue with Grand Cherokees (though he stated that FCA believes it is an 'isolated' issue limited to 'towing conditions at slow speed with sharp turns' and will involve only a limited number of vehicles). Most importantly, he stated that FCA is in fact in the process of working on a specific solution for impacted Grand Cherokee owners.

He said that he believed the probable fix would be something along the lines of what was designed for affected Cherokee vehicles. He indicated that he expected it would involve both a software upgrade and wiring harness for impacted Grand Cherokee vehicles.

After getting this info, I left a follow up message for Mr. Stander asking: (1) whether the problem as diagnosed by FCA is as we have described on our iRV2 Forum here (i.e., the change in the power steering system beginning in model year 2016 with the new EPS design change); (2) when he believed the fix would be available for impacted GC owners; and (3) whether the software upgrade and wiring harness would be made available to affected GC owners by FCA without charge.

I got an email response from Mr. Stander advising that he was not certain when the fix would be ready for affected GC owners but that FCA was hoping to 'target it' for availability early this upcoming summer. He did not address the other aspects of my inquiry.

Bottom line here: Looks like FCA acknowledges the "Death Wobble" issue vis-a-vis Grand Cherokee vehicles; they are working on a solution similar to what has already played out with Cherokees; the likely solution will most probably involve a software upgrade and a wiring harness; FCA is targeting the availability of the solution sometime this year near early summer; it is not clear whether FCA will make the anticipated GC fix available to affected GC owners free of charge.

Hopefully, this will provide some level of explanation for those out there who are looking for FCA's acknowledgment of the problem and estimated date for a fix. Not having followed the process of all that transpired with the Cherokee "Death Wobble" solution, I cannot speak to the expected reliability of the estimate for the Grand Cherokee fix given to me by Mr. Stander -- but it now looks like a fix is officially in the pipeline at FCA.

And now we are at least on record directly with FCA CEO Mike Manley on this issue. Should it be necessary to get back in touch with Mr. Stander as time passes (if no response is forthcoming by early summer), there can be no doubt that FCA will clearly know about the issue and won't be able to deny that. We won't have to reinvent the wheel; we will only have to beat the bushes to speed up getting the fix out to affected GC owners.

Hope this helps.

Deek
FMCA #363986 / 'Living the Dream' ... What an Incredible Hoot!
2020 Newmar Dutch Star 4369 / Freightliner with DriveTech / All Electric / NHSO
Old 02-12-2019, 06:50 AM   #210

If they give this free of charge to the Grand Cherokee owners after charging the Cherokee owners your going to see a lot of mad people.
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote