Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-03-2020, 07:00 AM   #253

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tycham View Post
Check and see if your owners manual and see if the still call for the wiring kit. I did install the kit but changed it so I don't have to remove the fuse. I flip a switch under the hood. I will try and get some photos today
The wiring kit provided by FCA is for the Cherokee. @boaterbobd was referring to a GRAND Cherokee.
BobGed is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2020, 07:39 AM   #254

Quote:
Originally Posted by boaterbobd View Post
I have been reading through the history of the Grand Cherokee death wobble issue very closely, of course only after I got a great deal on an '18 GC Summit just before the pandemic. This thread went on for a little over 2 yrs ending just under a year ago and I can't seem to find anything newer than July of '19.

Does anyone have an update on the 2016 and later Jeep Grand Cherokee 'death wobble' steering instability issue?
Boaterbobd: we have a 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited with 6 cylinder engine, tow it with a Blue Ox Avail towbar behind a 2018 Newmar Dutch Star. We have about 15,000 wobble free miles. I'm sure this is a real issue and one with multiple variables that could cause the wobble, including the car itself, it just has not happened to us.

I greatly appreciated the dialogue on this particular post and considered it carefully before purchasing the Jeep Grand Cherokee. My assessment at the time was this seemed to be an issue at lower speeds and the solution was to come to a halt and carefully start moving again. Fortunately, I have not had any wobble issues to test that assessment.
2018 Grand Cherokee Limited
LeslieGary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 11:51 AM   #255

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Check and see if your owners manual and see if the still call for the wiring kit. I did install the kit but changed it so I don't have to remove the fuse. I flip a switch under the hood. I will try and get some photos today
Wiring kit does not apply to the Grand Cherokee.

Over 20,000 miles towed now with a GC and no wobble.
Ready2Travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 04:36 PM   #256

For Model years 2016 thru 2019, there have been about 40 reported cases of the Grand Cherokee wobble, and yes, FCA has divorced themselves of the problem. Many owners have never experienced the wobble.

If it happens, you need to pull over, stop, inspect your tow equipment and proceed with your trip. The key is come to a full STOP.
Old 06-05-2020, 06:34 AM   #257

Tiffin Owners Club
I own a 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee and have experienced the wobble several times. The wobble has always occurred when accelerating into a right OR left turn after coming to a complete stop. I have been successful to avoid the wobble if I will slowly proceed into the right or left turn taking caution not to accelerate very much.

I was able to speak to FCA's representative, Steve Stander about the issue on several occasions but have not been able to get a resolution such as the wiring harness currently used on the Cherokee.

The last several attempts to contact Mr. Stander have been unsuccessful. I have not received a return phone call or email.

From all appearance, FCA is not pursuing a resolution to the problem.
mstarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 07:05 AM   #258

Thanks for the feedback folks. I'm going forward with my plan to put a base plate on my 18 GC Summit and buy the rest of the hardware I'll need to flat tow it over the next month or so. I plan to install everything myself and I will certainly keep you all posted!

I do have a thought on a workaround for you all to ponder. My GC has remote start. Theoretically, it would be possible to start and stop the GC from the DP drivers seat every time I want to make a slow hard turn. With the engine at idle and the steering system 'energized', I doubt the design flaw will show its ugly face? I don't know what the state of a remotely started vehicle is though? Such as, is the steering locked? Will have to look into this more but its worth a thought.

I've had good luck with e.trailer.com; was thinking of following their recommendation on a Roadmaster Direct-Connect Base Plate Kit - Removable Arms Item # RM-521440-5? I'd welcome any feedback from anyone else that has done their own installation. Is there something slick out there for the proportional braking connection to my Spartan chassis?
Old 06-06-2020, 07:02 AM   #259

If you go with an aux brake the sits on the drivers floorboard, I would not remote start the Jeep. You will energize the brake system, and those units rely on you bleeding off the vacuum in the system for the brake box to work properly. Also, you would only be able to do that twice before you would have to start the Jeep from the driverís seat, before the remote start would work again.

We have one of the first 2016 Grand Cherokees produced. We have towed it over 10,000 miles, and the wobble has happened 3 times. Two occurrences happened within 5 minutes of of each other. It was a left turn from a stop in a construction zone (changing pavement levels). As soon as I stopped and restarted, it went away. It has NEVER happened at highway speed. It if did, our GC would have a new home on a used car lot.

If your coach has air brakes, take a look at the Demco Air Force One (used to be branded SMI).
BPoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 02:22 PM   #260

Quote:
Is there something slick out there for the proportional braking connection to my Spartan chassis?
Our Newmar also has a Spartan chassis. While I'm sure every combination will have different results, we are using an Air Force One brake controller and have been very pleased with it.
Old 06-08-2020, 04:31 PM   #261
jrs

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback folks. I'm going forward with my plan to put a base plate on my 18 GC Summit and buy the rest of the hardware I'll need to flat tow it over the next month or so. I plan to install everything myself and I will certainly keep you all posted!

I do have a thought on a workaround for you all to ponder. My GC has remote start. Theoretically, it would be possible to start and stop the GC from the DP drivers seat every time I want to make a slow hard turn. With the engine at idle and the steering system 'energized', I doubt the design flaw will show its ugly face? I don't know what the state of a remotely started vehicle is though? Such as, is the steering locked? Will have to look into this more but its worth a thought.

I've had good luck with e.trailer.com; was thinking of following their recommendation on a Roadmaster Direct-Connect Base Plate Kit - Removable Arms Item # RM-521440-5? I'd welcome any feedback from anyone else that has done their own installation. Is there something slick out there for the proportional braking connection to my Spartan chassis?
Installed a Demco baseplate by myself. There's an excellent video by e.trailer (if I recall correctly) that made the installation go smoothly. Wired brake lights with a roadmaster diode kit and there's another video showing how to install it. Love those videos!
jrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 05:27 PM   #262

Confession is good for the soul!

Our first trip out this year and we had a wobble issue in our first mile. Slow right turn over rough pavement and wobble began. I slowed to a stop and restarted and all was well. Once again, experience from this on IRV2 helped me recognize this immediately without the grave concern something like this would otherwise cause.

The rest of the 800 mike trip was uneventful.
Old 09-11-2020, 06:02 AM   #263

Tiffin Owners Club
Boy I wish I had joined this forum before buying '20 Grand Cherokee to flat tow

I'm new to RV'ing. We bought a new 2019 Tiffin Allegro RED 340 (diesel pusher). We bought a 2020 Grand Cherokee Limited 4x4 as our towed vehicle. Having the Blue Ox Avail and M&G Engineering Braking systems installed soon.

I had no idea about this death wobble. No doubt, if I had known, I would be towing a different vehicle. I sent Jeep a question about it this morning, but based on what I am reading here, I don't expect much help. Would be nice if by the 2020 model they would have addressed the issue. It's not like I have an option to use a tow dolly to avoid this since it is a 4x4 and their manual says DO NOT USE A TOW DOLLY.

Anyway, guess I will go forward and be aware and take the necessary step of stopping and proceeding when/if it happens. Disappointing....thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread. At least I have the knowledge now.
thegats1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 07:55 AM   #264

We have a 2017 with the flat towing kit. I want to caution people that they don't get complacent.

Recently I was towing the Cherokee on a trip to Mexico (painting another). I was driving a coach that I was unfamiliar with that I am rebuilding. Anyway I was having a terrible time with the rear end. I blamed it on the coach.

I got pulled over by the state troopers for suspected DUI. Anyway after a pause he accompanied me off the highway and told me to get it fixed. I looked for a shop in the town (Fernley, NV) but no one could help me. I continued on the trip, driving very carefully and made it to Hawthorne before I got pulled over again. Luck was with me because something came up and he responded to that. I finally made it to Tonopah where I knew I could get it fixed. A hell of a day.

The next day I left the coach and proceeded to Lake Havasu to pick up another coach and have the Jeep checked out (just in case). Great dealership there.

They checked it out and found the error codes. he wobble was caused by a weak battery!! The battery was the original I changed it and no more problems. I have a system that charges the battery while driving but the original coach did not have a hot RV plug.

I will forever make sure I have a hot wire!!!
tycham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 08:41 AM   #265

Quote:
We have a 2017 with the flat towing kit. I want to caution people that they don't get complacent.

Recently I was towing the Cherokee on a trip to Mexico (painting another). I was driving a coach that I was unfamiliar with that I am rebuilding. Anyway I was having a terrible time with the rear end. I blamed it on the coach.

I got pulled over by the state troopers for suspected DUI. Anyway after a pause he accompanied me off the highway and told me to get it fixed. I looked for a shop in the town (Fernley, NV) but no one could help me. I continued on the trip, driving very carefully and made it to Hawthorne before I got pulled over again. Luck was with me because something came up and he responded to that. I finally made it to Tonopah where I knew I could get it fixed. A hell of a day.

The next day I left the coach and proceeded to Lake Havasu to pick up another coach and have the Jeep checked out (just in case). Great dealership there.

They checked it out and found the error codes. he wobble was caused by a weak battery!! The battery was the original I changed it and no more problems. I have a system that charges the battery while driving but the original coach did not have a hot RV plug.

I will forever make sure I have a hot wire!!!
It appears that you have a (KL) Cherokee, not a (WK2) Grand Cherokee. You might want to post this info on the threads on IRV2 (and elsewhere) which address the Cherokee wobble issue.

You probably already know that the Cherokee "wobble fix" wiring (Towing enhancement kit) relies on having the EPS active while you are towing it. A dead battery is not unusual for Cherokees towed for multiple days without a way to keep battery up. Here are a few of the threads on Cherokee towing wobble on IRV2:

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/seve...ee-240620.html

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/jeep...le-445505.html

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/2018...le-377775.html

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/jeep...le-466164.html

When you connect a wire to keep the battery charged, it should be protected by a fuse or circuit breaker. Safe travels.
Old 09-17-2020, 04:02 PM   #266

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegats1 View Post
I'm new to RV'ing. We bought a new 2019 Tiffin Allegro RED 340 (diesel pusher). We bought a 2020 Grand Cherokee Limited 4x4 as our towed vehicle. Having the Blue Ox Avail and M&G Engineering Braking systems installed soon.

I had no idea about this death wobble. No doubt, if I had known, I would be towing a different vehicle. I sent Jeep a question about it this morning, but based on what I am reading here, I don't expect much help. Would be nice if by the 2020 model they would have addressed the issue. It's not like I have an option to use a tow dolly to avoid this since it is a 4x4 and their manual says DO NOT USE A TOW DOLLY.

Anyway, guess I will go forward and be aware and take the necessary step of stopping and proceeding when/if it happens. Disappointing....thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread. At least I have the knowledge now.
You will really like the Grand Cherokee as a tow vehicle. The wobble is exceedingly rare and at low speeds. Thanks to the collaboration from this forum, you just come to a stop, then proceed--wobble stops. It would be much more frightening if you had no clue what was happening and what to do. It would be great if Jeep would fix this, but with 15K miles towing our Grand Cherokee, I don't have any regrets.