Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-05-2021, 04:07 AM   #309

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by deblas View Post
Hey all.....new owner of a 2021 Grand Cherokee here....just picked up last night!
Thanks to this thread, I had some insight and asked the parts guy about this "harness".

On his own, he came up with the same part number, 82216418AA, for this vehicle with regards to the EPS issue. According to his information, this has been made available as of February 2021. He was only able to locate one unit in the United States (Kentucky, I think.....)

When I look it up today, I find the description to be inline;
"Wiring harness enables vehicle to be flat towed behind an RV. It powers the electric power steering, but only two-speed transfer cases are capable of being flat towed. This kit includes wiring harness, switch cover, tie straps, splice kits and I-sheet."

Fitment
Make Model Year
Dodge Durango 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021
Jeep Grand Cherokee 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021

Price $225

https://store.mopar.com/accessories/...2216418AA.html

Thank you for getting this information. Very helpful to a lot of people.
Part Timers-Looking Fwd to being Anytimers
thegats1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-05-2021, 09:43 AM   #310

Quote:
Originally Posted by deblas View Post
Hey all.....new owner of a 2021 Grand Cherokee here....just picked up last night!
Thanks to this thread, I had some insight and asked the parts guy about this "harness".

On his own, he came up with the same part number, 82216418AA, for this vehicle with regards to the EPS issue. According to his information, this has been made available as of February 2021. He was only able to locate one unit in the United States (Kentucky, I think.....)

When I look it up today, I find the description to be inline;
"Wiring harness enables vehicle to be flat towed behind an RV. It powers the electric power steering, but only two-speed transfer cases are capable of being flat towed. This kit includes wiring harness, switch cover, tie straps, splice kits and I-sheet."

Fitment
Make Model Year
Dodge Durango 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021
Jeep Grand Cherokee 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021

Price $225

https://store.mopar.com/accessories/...2216418AA.html
I just placed an order for one at this site. I'll keep you posted.
Old 03-07-2021, 05:10 PM   #311

Newmar Owners Club
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBMSJ View Post
I ordered a 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk today and as part of the process, I asked about the "page 160 of the 2021 owners manual states: 'A flat tow electric power steering kit is available for increased flat tow performance, contact a authorized dealer for further details.' The sales manager had never heard of the part and called the parts manager and the service manager who had also never heard of the part (after trying to tell me that it was the tow wiring harness found in the glove box). I explained that the part was not related to connecting the jeep to other vehicles, but rather for power steering as noted in the manual. He agreed to research with Jeep to get an answer and to pay an agreed amount towards the part. I am not holding my breath.
Update: My 2021 Grand Cherokee came in yesterday (about 23 days from order to delivery). Between the time I ordered and delivery, my sales person contacted FCA and responded that no part was available. Well, I provided the part number 82216418AA listed above and the dealer will be installing it when it comes in next week (part $225 + 2 hours labor), he agreed to split the cost.

The question I have is: If this wiring harness provides power to the power steering, where does that power come from, can it it be provided from the coach connection? Sorry, this is my first toad and I am not sure where the power for the break/turn lights will come from nor the power for this new harness.
JBMSJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 05:16 PM   #312

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Update: My 2021 Grand Cherokee came in yesterday (about 23 days from order to delivery). Between the time I ordered and delivery, my sales person contacted FCA and responded that no part was available. Well, I provided the part number 82216418AA listed above and the dealer will be installing it when it comes in next week (part $225 + 2 hours labor), he agreed to split the cost.

The question I have is: If this wiring harness provides power to the power steering, where does that power come from, can it it be provided from the coach connection? Sorry, this is my first toad and I am not sure where the power for the break/turn lights will come from nor the power for this new harness.
If it's similar to the Cherokee harness, which it probably is, then you should run a charge line from the coach to your Jeep's battery. Here is one possible solution RVi Towed Battery Charger
BobGed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 10:57 PM   #313

When you wire your toad lights you'll need to include a 12 volt line from the coach to your toad. If you don't after a day of towing you may end up with a dead battery.
mknight2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 05:06 AM   #314

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:

Like others have responded, you should get a charge line connected from your coach to your 12V system on the Jeep. This YouTube video may help explain the charge line a little.

If possible, will you please take pics of the part installed (if it is visible) and also a pic of the wiring diagram included with the part? This may be helpful to those of us considering installing it ourselves. Thanks for sharing.

This is on my to do list
Old 03-11-2021, 06:00 AM   #315

Does anyone know if the wiring kit comes with installation instructions? I would like to avoid a trip to the dealer if I can.
Pierpressure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 09:18 AM   #316

The Kit is Real!!!

So I posted 6 days ago that I had placed an order on the website posted and it arrived today as promised. Pictures posted, if I did that correctly. Took a quick look at the directions...doesn't look like a 'fun job' with lots of interior trim having to come apart.

Unfortunately, I won't be installing this too soon as I am still quite snowbound and I don't normally wake the rig up until some time late April early May. I just wanted make sure this kit was real and share that with the community. I specifically bought my '18 GC Summit to flat tow because I thought they were "flat tow bullet proof". I was NOT eager to buy and install a base plate, tow bar, braking system, etc. knowing the death wobble lurks. The Flat Tow Kit was my first purchase!

Now I can spec. out the rest of the hardware I'll need. Any Suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tot Kit 1.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	387.2 KB
ID:	320936   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tow Kit 2.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	366.4 KB
ID:	320937  

Old 03-11-2021, 03:04 PM   #317

Fleetwood Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by boaterbobd View Post
So I posted 6 days ago that I had placed an order on the website posted and it arrived today as promised. Pictures posted, if I did that correctly. Took a quick look at the directions...doesn't look like a 'fun job' with lots of interior trim having to come apart.

Unfortunately, I won't be installing this too soon as I am still quite snowbound and I don't normally wake the rig up until some time late April early May. I just wanted make sure this kit was real and share that with the community. I specifically bought my '18 GC Summit to flat tow because I thought they were "flat tow bullet proof". I was NOT eager to buy and install a base plate, tow bar, braking system, etc. knowing the death wobble lurks. The Flat Tow Kit was my first purchase!

Sending you a PM as to not derail this thread regarding flat tow components.....

Thanks for the pics!
Old 03-12-2021, 05:34 AM   #318

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by boaterbobd View Post

You have been very helpful. Thanks for this. If it isn't too many pages, any chance you can post the pics of the install guide? I'm trying to decide if I want to install it myself, or have the dealer do it. If there are more than a few pages, no worries. Thanks again for sharing this.
Old 03-12-2021, 07:47 AM   #319

I will try and get some photos today. The only change I made to the wiring was to replace the fuse wire with a switch and LED. The switch prevents pulling the fuse out (pain in the butt) and the led in the switch lets me know that it is on.
tycham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 04:02 PM   #320

Thanks for looking into the problem. What I was worrying the most was that I was damaging the steering on the Jeep. So what I understand is I do my disconnect regularly. With the engine running I press the N button, shift the trans to D and R. Turn off engine and sit there for 30 to 60 seconds. Make sure the headlights are off and the trans lights are off. Then open door and there should be no problems with the electric steering. Thanks again. We are in Southern Utah now and internet and phone is iffy
Je917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 06:58 PM   #321

Quote "Thanks for looking into the problem. What I was worrying the most was that I was damaging the steering on the Jeep. So what I understand is I do my disconnect regularly. With the engine running I press the N button, shift the trans to D and R. Turn off engine and sit there for 30 to 60 seconds. Make sure the headlights are off and the trans lights are off. Then open door and there should be no problems with the electric steering. Thanks again. We are in Southern Utah now and internet and phone is iffy"

Not correct. Tow with your Jeep transfer case in neutral, and shift selector in park.

I made instructions I keep in the Jeep. Make sure though that you follow the instructions in your owners manual, not my sheets.

----------------------

To Tow:

1. With the engine running, hook up tow bar, then reverse until bar clicks

2. Press and hold the brake pedal.

3. Shift the transmission into NEUTRAL.

4. Using a ballpoint pen or similar object, push and hold the recessed transfer case
NEUTRAL (N) button (located by the selector switch) for four seconds. The light behind
the N symbol will blink, indicating shift in progress. The light will stop blinking (stay on
solid) when the shift to NEUTRAL (N) is complete. A “FOUR WHEEL DRIVE SYSTEM
IN NEUTRAL” message will appear in the main instrument cluster.

5. After the shift is completed and the NEUTRAL (N) light stays on, release the NEUTRAL (N) button.

6. Shift the transmission into REVERSE, release the brake pedal for three seconds and ensure that there
is no apparent vehicle movement (tow bar will prevent actual movement)

7. Press and hold the brake pedal. Shift the transmission back into NEUTRAL.

8. With the transmission and transfer case in NEUTRAL, push and hold the ENGINE
START/STOP button until the engine turns off.

9. Place the transmission gear selector in PARK. Release the brake pedal.

10. Push the ENGINE START/STOP button twice (without pressing the brake pedal), to turn
the ignition to the OFF mode. (check ignition totally off after this on main dash and ignition push button).
Ensure dash does not say auto park.

11. Ensure park brake is OFF.

NOTE:
The ignition must be in the ON/RUN mode for a shift to take place and for the position
indicator lights to be operable. If the ignition is not in the ON/RUN mode, the shift will not take place and no position indicator lights will be on or flashing.

A flashing NEUTRAL (N) position indicator light indicates that shift requirements have
not been met.

---------------------------

After towing:

Shifting Out Of NEUTRAL (N). Use the following procedure to prepare your vehicle for normal usage:

1. Bring the vehicle to a complete stop, leaving it connected to the tow vehicle.

2. Firmly apply the parking brake.

3. Start the engine.

4. Press and hold the brake pedal.

5. Shift the transmission into NEUTRAL.

6. Using a ballpoint pen or similar object, push and hold the recessed transfer case
NEUTRAL (N) button (located by the selector switch) for one second.

7. When the NEUTRAL (N) indicator light turns off, release the NEUTRAL (N) button. After
the NEUTRAL (N) button has been released, the transfer case will shift to the position
indicated by the selector switch.

8. Shift the transmission into PARK. Turn the engine off. Engine must remain off until transmission lights by shifter go out (15 to 30 seconds).

9. Release the brake pedal. (apply parking brake)

10. Disconnect vehicle from the tow vehicle.

11. Start the engine.

12. Press and hold the brake pedal.

13. Release the parking brake.

14. Shift the transmission into DRIVE (or Reverse), release
the brake pedal, and check that the vehicle operates normally.

NOTE:
The ignition must be in the ON/RUN mode for a shift to take place and for the position indicator
lights to be operable. If the ignition is not in the ON/RUN mode, the shift will not
take place and no position indicator lights will be on or flashing.

A flashing NEUTRAL (N) position indicator light indicates that shift requirements have not been met.

If power to Jeep does not remain off until transmission light by shifter goes out, the power steering assist will not work.
drw907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 08:52 PM   #322

Wow that kit looks almost identical to the flat tow kit I installed on our KL 2017 Cherokee Overland edition. Only difference I can spot right away is the candy cane striped wire. That and the fact that my kit did not include a bunch of zip ties, at least I don't remember any.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote