Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-20-2021, 05:52 AM   #323

If anyone takes this on please post your DIY install experience if you get it done before I do. I am ordering this kit and will install. I will post when done. Just bought my 2018 GC and getting it set up.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2021, 06:51 AM   #324

If it is anything like the flat wiring kit for the Cherokee, be careful with the instruction. I found 2 big issues with the instructions when doing the flat tow kit install on my KL Cherokee, 1st the camera angles kept shifting when looking at the same thing between steps. Second the kit had changed since the instructions were written and the groove on the switch for the flip up cover that the instructions said goes to the top, really goes to the bottom.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 07:42 AM   #325

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ftodaro View Post
If anyone takes this on please post your DIY install experience if you get it done before I do. I am ordering this kit and will install. I will post when done. Just bought my 2018 GC and getting it set up.

Agreed. I am a pretty handy guy, but I can sure screw things up from time to time. Hoping to learn from others that install it.
Part Timers-Looking Fwd to being Anytimers
thegats1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 09:34 AM   #326

What about Pre-2018 Models for the Flat Tow Kit?

Thanks for all the information on the new flat two kit. I've had at least four wobble incidents with my 2017 GC Overland since I started towing it in 2017, so I was looking forward to a solution. It sounds like this new kit is just the fix we needed. That is, if you own a 2018 or later model.

When I followed the link on the part number given earlier and changed the vehicle to my 2017 vehicle's specs, I received the message that the part is not specified for my vehicle. ISN'T THAT JUST DANDY!!

Any ideas on who to contact to see if this part actually works for the 2017 models (are 2016 models having this issue too?) or if there is a further solution coming for our vehicles? I appreciate any guidance you can provide.
bsmseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 10:03 AM   #327

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmseven View Post
Thanks for all the information on the new flat two kit. I've had at least four wobble incidents with my 2017 GC Overland since I started towing it in 2017, so I was looking forward to a solution. It sounds like this new kit is just the fix we needed. That is, if you own a 2018 or later model.

When I followed the link on the part number given earlier and changed the vehicle to my 2017 vehicle's specs, I received the message that the part is not specified for my vehicle. ISN'T THAT JUST DANDY!!

Any ideas on who to contact to see if this part actually works for the 2017 models (are 2016 models having this issue too?) or if there is a further solution coming for our vehicles? I appreciate any guidance you can provide.

I'm in the same boat but the only difference is I contacted Jeep Cares and the just gave me the run around. They did put in my records that I contact them about the wobble and posted in my records that I was informed not to tow my GC with 4 down and only on a trailer. Jeep CYA at it's best.
Past RVs 2006 21 Foot BT Cruiser Class C - 2015 Montana 3711 - 2016 Grand Design 310GK-R
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 04:44 PM   #328
jrs

Been watching these posts since day one. So far so good with our GC and towing it 12K miles. Adding this post because we just changed to Toyo tires and put on just under 500 miles w/o any issues yet. Was worried that changing tires might bring up the issue with ours.
Kinda weird that some have issues and others don't.
jrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 06:37 PM   #329

Dealer Refuses to Install Wiring Kit

So AFTER I bought our new GC I found this thread..

No problem - the wiring kit is available from Mopar so we ordered one. AFTER it came in the dealer said "we don't install those..."

Mopar genuine part (82216418AA) but the selling dealer refuses to do the installation... anyone else run into this problem? Does anyone know if the vehicle warranty is affected by installing this kit?
markpj23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 08:21 PM   #330

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpj23 View Post
So AFTER I bought our new GC I found this thread..

No problem - the wiring kit is available from Mopar so we ordered one. AFTER it came in the dealer said "we don't install those..."

Mopar genuine part (82216418AA) but the selling dealer refuses to do the installation... anyone else run into this problem? Does anyone know if the vehicle warranty is affected by installing this kit?
I would go to a different dealer, My dealer had no problem with the request and said they have installed several. I think the issue is they do not have a tech that has taken the time to do one and do not want to mess with it. When i bought the kit and looked at the wiring instructions coming out of the fuse box, I was intimidated by it. Now that i have seen how it was done, it is not that bad.

For those who have a 2017 and older, i would find a dealer who has installed them and ask the question. You can try Bob Caldwell Chrysler Jeep on Morris road in Columbus Ohio, or your local dealers.

I have also seen a solution that puts a steering stabilizer on the steering rack.
Old 05-04-2021, 05:47 AM   #331

Wobble Update

This is an update of my original high speed wobble issue on my 2020 GC Trailhawk. It seems as though we have solved the issue at least so far. We put new tires on about 6000 miles ago and also an alignment. We since traveled round trip from TN to AZ with several shorter trips in between. We've had no wobbles with the new tires. I guess I will continue to wait and see how it goes down the road. It is good to see there is a possible fix but I will put off installing the wiring harness until I experience another wobble.
mknight2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 07:50 AM   #332

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftodaro View Post
I would go to a different dealer, My dealer had no problem with the request and said they have installed several. ...

I suspected as much - will try another. Thanks.
Old 05-04-2021, 08:38 AM   #333

Just don't wait too long and be like this https://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/jeep...ml#post3605033 (yes I know that is a Cherokee, and not a Grand Cherokee, but the point remains)
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 03:30 PM   #334

Quote:
Originally Posted by mknight2012 View Post
This is an update of my original high speed wobble issue on my 2020 GC Trailhawk. It seems as though we have solved the issue at least so far. We put new tires on about 6000 miles ago and also an alignment. We since traveled round trip from TN to AZ with several shorter trips in between. We've had no wobbles with the new tires. I guess I will continue to wait and see how it goes down the road. It is good to see there is a possible fix but I will put off installing the wiring harness until I experience another wobble.
Happy to hear the problem has not recurred. However the wobble most people have reported (WK2 and KL both) is due to a lack of vibration damping in in first the KL and second the WK2 starting at the year (2017? .. 16?) they came off the line with electronic Power Steering. The hydraulic power steering has an inherent ability to dampen the vibrations which would cause wobble. FCA-Jeep knew this in 2012, and designed a system in the EPS computer to use the EPS and braking system to dampen the vibration if it were to happen. (it's been mentioned before. )

Your problem may have been due to some irregularity in the tires which were replaced; or possibly in the alignment. If the tire shop had told you your alignment was way off, others may want to know that.

Wobble with the KL and the WK2 has ben reported after very specific conditions of turns and or a sequence of bumps. It's worthwhile reading about these so you will know when/.where to be cautious.

Safe Travels.
Old 05-04-2021, 03:56 PM   #335

My understanding is that death wobble occurs in other mfgs and is due to reduced damping with EPS disabled vs hydraulic steering. This is for cars with good tires and suspensions. Vehicles with hydraulic steering and an electric driven pump are not effected.

The Jeep solution is to provide a harness with switch that will run the EPS when towing. Probably a good idea to have a charge line for the battery.
CA Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 06:42 PM   #336

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpj23 View Post
I suspected as much - will try another. Thanks.

Called another dealer today who has installed them on others - no problem.

I also got the kit in hand - wow! I'm pretty handy but will gladly pay the dealer to do this installation.