Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-23-2017, 07:59 PM   #43

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lass View Post
I called John earlier today and we spent a good half hour discussing the Jeep GC wobble situation and what would be the best path forward. He will address the issue internally at FMCA and agreed to call me sometime next week in order to find a best path forward.

The petition may not be the final solution but it will at least identify owners who experience the wobble and that information can be used as ammunition which can be sent to jeep.

So, anyone else who is having the problem, please contact Big Boy with your details.

Dr Stano, please join us.

Las
Las,

Thanks for talking to John and bringing in FMCA. I'm a member of FMCA as well. I'll be at the Thor Diesel Club International Rally week after next. I'll see if anyone there has had similar problems towing their 16+ Grand Cherokee. I know a few that have this toad.

In the meantime, I'll be happy to continue to gather whatever information that people care to send to me.
Big_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2017, 04:51 AM   #44

Winnebago Owners Club
I am not trying to alarm anyone, but y'all should know what to expect if the WK2 steering design is now the same as that of the smaller Cherokee. Here's a video on youtube; note how the 4000# Cherokee gets the 40,000# motorhome swaying.

Old 09-24-2017, 06:16 AM   #45

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpasetto View Post
I am not trying to alarm anyone, but y'all should know what to expect if the WK2 steering design is now the same as that of the smaller Cherokee. Here's a video on youtube; note how the 4000# Cherokee gets the 40,000# motorhome swaying.

Trust me, I know what to expect. I've had it happen 4 times now. It's not a fun experience.
mhudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 06:58 AM   #46

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhudson View Post
Trust me, I know what to expect. I've had it happen 4 times now. It's not a fun experience.
I'm sorry to hear that you've been having this trouble. I posted this so those who have not experienced it could know as well. It is a dangerous situation.

It was only a few years ago that many Cherokee owners were saying it hadn't happened to them, even after hundreds of miles towing. When it happened to some they were shocked. It only happened to me once, at low speed. I didn't know what it was until afterward... my first thought was that the Jeep somehow hit a bunch of potholes which the MH missed... Fortunately for me, I was able to avoid towing the Jeep until after the wobble-fix was in.

That was back in a time when most of us had no idea what Jeep already knew and we were discussing things like towbars, baseplates, tire pressure, alignment, etc. trying to isolate a possible common cause. Then a member of one of the forums posted that back around 2012, FCA had received a patent* on an "active shimmy mitigation" algorithm for software in the EPS computer. The Cherokee had the servo-operated, computer-controlled steering already in a number of FCA products which had this electronic power steering design (including the Chrysler 200). Of course that anti-wobble software was only active with the engine running; then, finally Jeep came up with a wiring harness as a fix.

* http://jeepcherokeeclub.com/1789922-post73.html
Old 09-24-2017, 09:31 AM   #47

We are trying to establish a single point of contact to accumulate data regarding the Jeep Grand Cherokee "Death Wobble" . Please join us at the following link and share concerns.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/new-p...le-360864.html
lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 07:05 PM   #48

Grand Cherokee or Cherokee, both are subject to this. Cost some $$$ to install FCA correction wire harness and switch. Installed additional switch for not having to install and remove 10 amp fuse w/every use. Have forgotten twice and killed battery twice when leaving Jeep connected on overnight. Would have thought FCA would have helped as problem quite known by all that tow one of these. No such luck.
Palms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 05:20 PM   #49

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Please allow us to now join up with those here who have experienced the death wobble with their late model Jeep Grand Cherokees. ( I have sent a PM to Bob)

We have recently the wobble twice now, once about 8 weeks ago and again this morning when pulling out to hit the highway. Both incidents have occurred in similar circumstances/conditions wherein when moving forward from an intersection at full stop (coach & Jeep) then proceeding into a left hand turn at low speed, i.e. <15 mph.

In both events we stopped immediately, checked towing gear and car. then proceeded on at a cautious pace.

Our's is the 2016 Grand Cherokee Summit, 4X4 SUV, w/Quadro II and the Hemi engine. We're running with a Roadmaster base plate and their Blackhawk II 10k lbs. tow bar. Height of receiver hitch and base plate are the same at normal ride height when the car's air suspension is set to the normal ride height per the Jeep GC Owner's Manual instructions for recreational towing.
NKK Member 21619 / FMCA Member 465836
rewillia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 07:07 PM   #50

Jeep GRAND Cherokee death wobble!

Rewillia I have taken the lead with fmca on the wobble problem. Please review my post #47 and secure a case reference number.

Thanks Las
Old 09-29-2017, 03:46 PM   #51

Well, this settles it. The wife is in the market for a new veh w e can flat tow. Taking chrysler products off the list.
2usaretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 04:37 PM   #52

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2usaretired View Post
Well, this settles it. The wife is in the market for a new veh w e can flat tow. Taking chrysler products off the list.
This seems to be an issue with some if not all vehicles having EPS. Reports of other brands also (here's one article about the Equinox https://community.fmca.com/topic/870...-while-towing/).

It's kinda scary not knowing where it could happen next. I remember Cherokee owners posting they'd towed hundreds of miles, some thousands of miles before the first occurrence.
Old 10-03-2017, 06:58 PM   #53

We have a 2017 GC Summit. We have pull it about 11,000 miles and have had the death wobble at least 12 times. Our last trip was around 600 miles and it wobbled 3 times. The most scared I got was when we pulled off the side of the road to pick up a part, they had no room in the parking lot so we set along side of the road for a few minutes. When we pulled back on the highway we got the wobble and had to stop on the highway with no room to pull off. Before we could get started again two coal trucks popped over the hill and lucky for us they could slow down enough for us to get away but it was close. What would happen if they could not have stopped. If we don't get an answer to this problem soon I think we will have to take a big loss and trade back to Buick.
jlr44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 07:16 PM   #54

Sorry I forgot to say we put a new Blue Ox hitch and the top on the line tow bar. The tow bar is level and the wife is very care full to follow the directions setting up the GC. We are not new to towing. We have towed 210,000 miles in the last 13 years. We use the rvi2 braking system. Our dealer is working with Chrysler to find a answer.
jlr44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 07:22 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlr44 View Post
Sorry I forgot to say we put a new Blue Ox hitch and the top on the line tow bar. The tow bar is level and the wife is very care full to follow the directions setting up the GC. We are not new to towing. We have towed 210,000 miles in the last 13 years. We use the rvi2 braking system. Our dealer is working with Chrysler to find a answer.

Jkr44

I've sent you 2 PM's. please review post # 47 and let me know if You want to join.
Old 10-04-2017, 01:31 AM   #56

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Having filed a case with FCA a few days ago as suggested by Lass, I received the following response yesterday but remain somewhat skeptical that this is actually the fix needed. Has anyone else here received a similar response and if so, installed the recommended part? I have since ordered the part from Jeep and expect to receive it tomorrow.

Click image for larger version

Name:	FCA.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	125.1 KB
ID:	178769
NKK Member 21619 / FMCA Member 465836
rewillia is offline   Reply With Quote