Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-12-2022, 10:44 AM   #547

My Jeep is a 2021 GC and the kit installed is specific to the 21 GC and Durango. I have no knowledge of any other models.
Rauchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-13-2022, 05:19 AM   #548

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselgem View Post
As we are a jeep family the forums are a good sense of information. One thing for sure there are known issue that they ignore. And we the consumers have to deal with the problem. I am driving a Rubicon that smells like rubber after towing, multiple dealers say it is normal. The wobble has been a suspension jeep issue for years. The new systems now have added a new twist.
The rubber smell is the diesel exhaust from the Motorhome getting on your Jeep. When you start it up it burns it off. Smells bad for a few minutes. Same when you tow in wet winter. The water gets on the exhaust of the Jeep. Then when you first start the Jeep it has black smoke for a few minutes. Remember the Jeep exhaust is not hot when you tow it. You will see the smoke.
2cyber71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2022, 08:57 AM   #549
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunraydoc View Post
I'm with you on this one, Frank. To me proof that the EPS working is that the EPS is working, which means the steering assist is active, in which case the wheel will turn easily, harness or no harness.
This is exactly right. The root cause of the wobble issue is that there is not enough resistance in the electric-assist power steering system to prevent the onset of death wobble. This is in contrast to traditional hydraulic power steering systems that, when off, have a lot of resistance because you still are moving hydraulic fluid when turning the steering wheel.

The "fix" that everyone is discussing here turns on the EPS. Being "on", it provides more resistance to road-induced turning inputs. There is NO special or alternative mode of the EPS - it is simply on or off. It needs to be powered on when towing and that is what this kit does.
CoolTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2022, 11:39 AM   #550

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cyber71 View Post
The rubber smell is the diesel exhaust from the Motorhome getting on your Jeep.
Normal, yes; diesel, no. I've had that same smell after towing with both gasoline and diesel motorhomes, using 3 different toads over a 14-year period.
Crabby Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2022, 12:30 PM   #551

Electric power steering

Please be advised that the following response to NHTSA ID # 10204411 should be available at your local Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram dealer:
Jeep TSB # 08-179-21 which is a software update for your eps.
I still would like someone who has a surefire way to connect and disconnect to post their sequence. I haven't connected mine yet as we just had all tow equipment and wiring installed 3/11 and I don't want to make any errors. I will be contacting my dealer 3/14 to discuss, confirm and schedule software update. .
Steve and Linda's APEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2022, 10:33 PM   #552

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolTech View Post
This is exactly right. The root cause of the wobble issue is that there is not enough resistance in the electric-assist power steering system to prevent the onset of death wobble. This is in contrast to traditional hydraulic power steering systems that, when off, have a lot of resistance because you still are moving hydraulic fluid when turning the steering wheel.

The "fix" that everyone is discussing here turns on the EPS. Being "on", it provides more resistance to road-induced turning inputs. There is NO special or alternative mode of the EPS - it is simply on or off. It needs to be powered on when towing and that is what this kit does.
This is an issue with FCA. I got this from the dealer:"Ran the part number through Chrysler and yes it states RV Towing wiring harness with a notation from factory : THIS KIT SHOULD NOT BE USED. THERE ARE UNRESOLVED ISSUES WITH THIS KIT."

This from Jeep :A vibration or wobble would not be corrected by a flat tow wiring kit. I would recommend that if you are experiencing any suspension or steering concern to have your dealership diagnose them accordingly.

Thanks again,

Marvin, Jeep Customer Care

Finally this:We recommend taking your time and following the Recreational Towing - Quadra-Trac II/Quadra-Drive II Four-Wheel Drive Models procedure steps provided in the Owner's Manual exactly to enter/exit recreational tow mode. Taking your time to follow the steps exactly along with taking the necessary time to attach and detach the vehicle from the tow vehicle should allow enough time for the vehicle to go to sleep when in the key off position. Not taking your time or not allowing enough time for the vehicle to go to sleep may affect the vehicle entering or exiting recreational tow mode.

According to available information, the Mopar Accessory RV Towing Wiring Harness Kit (P/N 82216418AB) powers the electric power steering system to improve the flat tow towing behavior of the vehicle.
HMCSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2022, 06:30 AM   #553

The steps to follow are in the owner's manual and must be followed precisely. What is in error is not listed, but it is what is doesn't say is what not to do. Do not do anything that prevents the GC from going to "sleep", such as leaving the rear hatch open, or a driver's door open, or leaving the engine run.

At the end of the steps to return to driving, open the door which should be closed when following the procedure, get out, close the door and do whatever steps you take to unhitch, then after three minutes or so the GC should have gone to sleep and the EPS to reset. It will not reset if you do anything to wake up or keep the GC computer from going to sleep.
Rauchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2022, 10:32 AM   #554

Grand Cherokee death wobble

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMCSW View Post
This is an issue with FCA. I got this from the dealer:"Ran the part number through Chrysler and yes it states RV Towing wiring harness with a notation from factory : THIS KIT SHOULD NOT BE USED. THERE ARE UNRESOLVED ISSUES WITH THIS KIT."

This from Jeep :A vibration or wobble would not be corrected by a flat tow wiring kit. I would recommend that if you are experiencing any suspension or steering concern to have your dealership diagnose them accordingly.

Thanks again,

Marvin, Jeep Customer Care

Finally this:We recommend taking your time and following the Recreational Towing - Quadra-Trac II/Quadra-Drive II Four-Wheel Drive Models procedure steps provided in the Owner's Manual exactly to enter/exit recreational tow mode. Taking your time to follow the steps exactly along with taking the necessary time to attach and detach the vehicle from the tow vehicle should allow enough time for the vehicle to go to sleep when in the key off position. Not taking your time or not allowing enough time for the vehicle to go to sleep may affect the vehicle entering or exiting recreational tow mode.

According to available information, the Mopar Accessory RV Towing Wiring Harness Kit (P/N 82216418AB) powers the electric power steering system to improve the flat tow towing behavior of the vehicle.
The harness works fine for me, I think the issue is getting it properly installed, so rather than modify their instructions they tell you not to use the kit? Hopefully this is a temporary measure while they work on tweaking the instructions.

The way I activate mine is to go under the hood, plug in the fuse, then get back in the Jeep and start the engine. I then go through the FWD disconnect sequence as outlined by Jeep in the Uconnect app, confirm that the FWD is in neutral by putting the car in reverse as they describe, and put the car in park to be towed as Chrysler recommends. THEN I throw the harness switch on, look to see the power steering fault light, turn off the engine and check the wheel to be sure it's still easy to turn. This is not a recommendation, just sharing how I do it, do your own diligence.

It sounds more convoluted than it is, it seemed pretty commonsensical once I'd done it a few times.

I added an item to my checklist for rest stops, in addition to tires and checking the toad connections, I've added opening the driver's door and checking to see that the EPS is still active. I do have the RVI charging circuit installed, so killing the battery hasn't been and issue.

Bob
Sunraydoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2022, 08:19 PM   #555

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunraydoc View Post
The harness works fine for me, I think the issue is getting it properly installed, so rather than modify their instructions they tell you not to use the kit? Hopefully this is a temporary measure while they work on tweaking the instructions.

The way I activate mine is to go under the hood, plug in the fuse, then get back in the Jeep and start the engine. I then go through the FWD disconnect sequence as outlined by Jeep in the Uconnect app, confirm that the FWD is in neutral by putting the car in reverse as they describe, and put the car in park to be towed as Chrysler recommends. THEN I throw the harness switch on, look to see the power steering fault light, turn off the engine and check the wheel to be sure it's still easy to turn. This is not a recommendation, just sharing how I do it, do your own diligence.

It sounds more convoluted than it is, it seemed pretty commonsensical once I'd done it a few times.

I added an item to my checklist for rest stops, in addition to tires and checking the toad connections, I've added opening the driver's door and checking to see that the EPS is still active. I do have the RVI charging circuit installed, so killing the battery hasn't been and issue.

Bob
This is pretty much what I do, with the focus on throwing the EPS switch with motor running. I will add that when i get to my night stop where its just and overnight. I flip the switch inside open the hood and pull the fuse. In the am i start the motor, then install fuse, then flip the switch then shut the motor off and back in business.
Old 04-03-2022, 08:23 PM   #556

2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk. Towing 4 down without the RV wiring harness. Zero issues towing. Power steering after disconnecting.
HMCSW is offline   Reply With Quote