Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-06-2017, 10:24 AM   #71

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlr44 View Post
If they say the wiring harness works. Does anyone know what all you will have to go through each tine you are ready to tow? I for one am about to trade a 2017 GC Summit with 6500 miles for something that is less trouble to set up for towing.
The latest info on the forum is that the KL Cherokee wiring harness will not work for the Grand Cherokee.

In the future, FCA-Jeep may come up with a wiring harness kit which is similar to what we do for the Cherokee... not sure yet. However with towing the Cherokee activating the EPS using the harness is the simplest part of towing hook-up.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2017, 01:35 PM   #72

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rewillia View Post
Reference Post 56 & 62; Continuation;

So after all stated in my prior posts, this is the latest reply I received today from James at FCA.

Get ready - FCA's response is that I trailer the vehicle! Unacceptable to say the least!

I too am and was already onboard with Lass taking the lead on this with FMCA. This information from FCA and results of the past two days are the direct consequence of my having filed my original case and the assignment of a case # which I provided to Lass.

Attachment 178826
I just returned from a big trip towing our '11 Honda CR-V. I did not have time to fit the '16 Grand Cherokee Summit for toad duty prior to this 2800 mile trip.

Now...I'm going to take the plunge and commit to selling the Honda. By early December I anticipate having the Jeep ready to tow.

At least I should be able to gain some experience (good or bad) by towing the Jeep...all I can contribute right now is my anxiety for what may happen...

Fortunately, I do have a fall-back of trailering the Jeep if I lose confidence and/or experience this 'death wobble'. That is how I got the Jeep home to Oklahoma from Iowa back in June.
Big_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 07:48 AM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Boy View Post
I just returned from a big trip towing our '11 Honda CR-V. I did not have time to fit the '16 Grand Cherokee Summit for toad duty prior to this 2800 mile trip.

Now...I'm going to take the plunge and commit to selling the Honda. By early December I anticipate having the Jeep ready to tow.

At least I should be able to gain some experience (good or bad) by towing the Jeep...all I can contribute right now is my anxiety for what may happen...

Fortunately, I do have a fall-back of trailering the Jeep if I lose confidence and/or experience this 'death wobble'. That is how I got the Jeep home to Oklahoma from Iowa back in June.
While I will admit the the first time you experience the wobble, it will definitely increase the "Pucker Factor" , I have not found it to be an "Oh My God, I have to sell this thing" problem. For me it has always occurred when starting from a dead stop and always when making a turn. To me, given that it's only happened 2 times in 4,000 miles of towing and it never happens at highway speed, it really isn't that big of an issue. If it starts happening more frequently, I may change my mind, but as of right now, the Grand Cherokee is still my toad.
BPoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 07:55 AM   #74

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPoland View Post
While I will admit the the first time you experience the wobble, it will definitely increase the "Pucker Factor" , I have not found it to be an "Oh My God, I have to sell this thing" problem. For me it has always occurred when starting from a dead stop and always when making a turn. To me, given that it's only happened 2 times in 4,000 miles of towing and it never happens at highway speed, it really isn't that big of an issue. If it starts happening more frequently, I may change my mind, but as of right now, the Grand Cherokee is still my toad.
Exactly. I bought a new GC back in April and am in the process now of setting it up for towing. If the problem occurs, I know what to do. Stop and start off again. Also know from reading through all this as you mentioned, it seems to occur under a pretty specific condition. To me - no biggie. I can deal with it. I do hope Jeep comes up with a solution and I feel reasonably certain they will. Wife loves her GC, it's staying.
jt
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 12:10 PM   #75

Tiffin Owners Club
It's only happened to me once, and that was when I made a tight U-turn through an empty parking lot and came over a curb at about 5 mph. Noticed it right away, stopped, restarted, and everything was fine. That was over 8,000 miles ago and it hasn't happened since. I don't think it's an issue, just something to be aware of.
David3811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 09:25 AM   #76

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyjt View Post
Exactly. I bought a new GC back in April and am in the process now of setting it up for towing. If the problem occurs, I know what to do. Stop and start off again. Also know from reading through all this as you mentioned, it seems to occur under a pretty specific condition. To me - no biggie. I can deal with it. I do hope Jeep comes up with a solution and I feel reasonably certain they will. Wife loves her GC, it's staying.
jt
Same here, just purchased a 2018 GC Limited a few days ago.
Having Roadmaster baseplate installed next week, also having SMI Air Force 1 brake installed.

Hope not to have this issue but I it occurs will know what to do.
Ready2Travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 12:03 AM   #77

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
KZ RV Club
Heartland RV Club
Jayco Owners Club
Great... we just bought a 2018 Grand Cherokee Overland this week, with intent to tow it behind our motorhome. Sheesh....
Old 10-19-2017, 07:05 AM   #78

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHart View Post
Great... we just bought a 2018 Grand Cherokee Overland this week, with intent to tow it behind our motorhome. Sheesh....
Really no biggie imo. Just something to be aware of. I kinda wish we had bought the Overland instead of the Limited. Stayed with the Limited because I wanted to stay with the 18" wheels.
jt
Old 10-19-2017, 08:06 AM   #79

Jeep GRAND Cherokee death wobble!

I have been involved in this thread and started another one titled "New Plan grand Cherokee wobble and understand that to date, the wobble appears from start up and making a sharp turn. But my biggest concern is what happens if I'm in traffic and going over a set of railroad tracks at let's say 25-30 mph. Will the wobble start? I don't know but because of my concerns I wanted to file a formal complaint with Jeep just in case there is a liability issue. The whole thing is an unknown.

Now for members who have not read the entire thread, we started a spreadsheet of owners who have experienced the wobble and have also filed a complaint with Jeep/FCA. The Information was sent to my service manager who sent it to the Southeast district office and they inturn sent it to Jeep engineering in Detroit. We are also working with John Johnston at FMCA and he is also in contact with Jeep. Don't know how long it will take to find a solution but we have at least gone on record.
Old 10-19-2017, 09:30 AM   #80

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
... I kinda wish we had bought the Overland instead of the Limited. Stayed with the Limited because I wanted to stay with the 18" wheels.
jt
To get 18" wheels on an Overland get it with the "Off-Road Adventure II" package. I had a 2012 with the 20" wheels and they rode rough and wore fast compared to the 18" I ordered on my 2014.
Old 10-19-2017, 11:09 PM   #81

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Really no biggie imo. Just something to be aware of. I kinda wish we had bought the Overland instead of the Limited. Stayed with the Limited because I wanted to stay with the 18" wheels.
jt
What was it about the Overland that made you want it?
Ready2Travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 12:14 AM   #82

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready2Travel View Post
What was it about the Overland that made you want it?

Just a little nicer trim overall and a few more features. Don't get me wrong, we love the Limited. I ordered it with most of the significant options.
jt
Old 10-20-2017, 06:30 AM   #83

Tiffin Owners Club
I agree with harleyjt and still think the Jeep is the best thing to tow, imho. Starting from nothing, I did a lot of research and decided on the Jeep Cherokee, which we then traded in on a GC because we wanted something bigger. No speed limits when towing, you don't have to disconnect the battery, easy and elegant hook up with a Blue Ox tow bar. We're towing two-ton vehicles behind us, nothing to be taken for granted any way.
David3811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 08:18 PM   #84

Thanks Lass for encouraging others to read the whole thread. I think the guys that think the death wobble is "no biggie" as one of them said is way off the mark. If you look at the video of the Cherokee whipsawing, you can imagine the undue forces being generated when the "death wobble" happens with the Grand Cherokee. When I was at the FMCA rally in Indio last January, Blue Ox had to change out the ball and connecting rod on my fairly new tow bar. I had only experienced two wobbles at that point. Trying to SCARE YOU? YES and HELL YES One incident was a left turn from a start and the other a right turn from a start 2,000+ miles down the road. I do have to say that we did stop at Blue Ox in Pender, NE after experiencing two more wobbles, one with a left turn and the other a right turn, while slowly moving and not from a standstill while on our way from CA to MI. Blue Ox found nothing out of the ordinary at our visit. So did the wobble cause the problem with the tow bar or not? All I got to say is that is a tremendous amout of force being generated to move my coach as much as it has.
rstano is offline   Reply With Quote