Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-12-2019, 07:17 AM   #211

Newmar Owners Club
For the first Cherokee owners who had reported this issue to Jeep the fix was indeed free.
Carefree is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-12-2019, 09:34 AM   #212

Members who have reported their experience and case number to me or directly to FMCA are in the FCA notification spreadsheet. This would be used to demand the fix at no charge. FCA May push back but the early Cherokee owners did receive the flat tow harness for free.
Old 03-18-2019, 10:45 AM   #213

Read the posts. Death wobble happened to me once with 2017 grand Cherokee Summit. 5000 miles of towing and 6000 miles of driving. Slow right hand turn, Jeep front right wheel went over a 4 or 5” high curb, then wobbled until I stopped. Since Jeep and fcma are stalled, I filed a report with NHTSA. Only one other report there for the 2017.

My view is that the turn and curb drop off start a harmonic with the Jeep frame not designed to stop this. Same harmonic issue with the older Ford Explorer which flipped over when a blow out lost tread. The imbalance of the wheel created the harmonic and flipped the car. Ford redesigned the Explorer frame to stop this. A car shouldn’t flip instantly when you lose tread!
Steve
Steve Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 10:49 AM   #214

NHTSA tracking number 11186936
Steve Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 12:25 PM   #215

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carefree View Post
For the first Cherokee owners who had reported this issue to Jeep the fix was indeed free.
Cherokee owners which bought early on were not charged because they were not notified of the condition when they bought. After the 'tow harness' was developed those early buyers got it free, with installation.

Then a notice was put in owners manual and elsewhere. After that Jeep "washed their hands" of the responsibility to pay for the harness or installation.
Old 03-18-2019, 01:08 PM   #216

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jo View Post
Read the posts. Death wobble happened to me once with 2017 grand Cherokee Summit. 5000 miles of towing and 6000 miles of driving. Slow right hand turn, Jeep front right wheel went over a 4 or 5” high curb, then wobbled until I stopped. Since Jeep and fcma are stalled, I filed a report with NHTSA. Only one other report there for the 2017.

My view is that the turn and curb drop off start a harmonic with the Jeep frame not designed to stop this. Same harmonic issue with the older Ford Explorer which flipped over when a blow out lost tread. The imbalance of the wheel created the harmonic and flipped the car. Ford redesigned the Explorer frame to stop this. A car shouldn’t flip instantly when you lose tread!
Steve

Glad you reported it to NHTSA; you also may want to contact @Lass who has set up a list.

Everything that moves can have a vibration tendency as you know. When Jeep decided to go to EPS (Electronic Power Steering) instead of Hydraulic PS, the shock-absorbing tendencies of the hydraulics in the system went away too.
Old 03-20-2019, 05:00 PM   #217

I just bought a 2014 Cherokee had the harness dealer installed and set up in Fl. On way home to New York in West Verginia I had death wobble. Luckily I was just leaving a rest area and only doing about 20 miles an hour. It shock my motorhome so hard when I stopped I got out and checked every thing over hitch and baseplate. I am wondering it was dealer installed so will the factory pay another dealer to see what happened.
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 05:18 PM   #218

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwit View Post
I just bought a 2014 Cherokee had the harness dealer installed and set up in Fl. On way home to New York in West Verginia I had death wobble. Luckily I was just leaving a rest area and only doing about 20 miles an hour. It shock my motorhome so hard when I stopped I got out and checked every thing over hitch and baseplate. I am wondering it was dealer installed so will the factory pay another dealer to see what happened.
This is actually a GRAND Cherokee thread but since you asked the question while on the road and probably need an answer, I'll reply.

It sounds like the power steering was not actually activated while you were towing. Are you sure you went through all the steps correctly ie, flipping the switch and inserting the 10 amp fuse under the hood?

If so before you tow again you can check if the EPS is powered by going through the steps while you're parked. When activated you should be able to turn the steering wheel easily.

If not then it probably means the dealer did not properly install the harness. Did they demonstrate it to you when you picked up the Jeep?
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 04:54 PM   #219

All they wanted to do was get rid of us. No one showed us any thing. We lea Ned on this forum. I asked for paper work on how it was installed and they said they had none. Not happy. I realize this is grand Cherokee and I am a Cherokee but they are the same steering systems with same problems.
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 05:10 PM   #220

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwit View Post
All they wanted to do was get rid of us. No one showed us any thing. We lea Ned on this forum. I asked for paper work on how it was installed and they said they had none. Not happy. I realize this is grand Cherokee and I am a Cherokee but they are the same steering systems with same problems.
Actually they do not have the same steering systems and the problems are different. The tow wobble can occur at almost any speed on the Cherokees, while based on everything I have read the Grand Cherokees only experience it after making slow speed sharp turns.

If you would like to send me a PM with the procedures you are going through when you get it set up to tow, I would be glad to try and help in any way that I can.

Okay here's a link to the Cherokee thread http://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/sever...ee-240620.html
Old 04-23-2019, 07:29 AM   #221

Tiffin Owners Club
Deek, I have a 2018 GC Summit with 3500 miles of towing. I experienced the wobble yesterday (04-22-2019) for the first time. Same scenario as many, slow left turn in residential area. Do you suggest I contact Mr. Manley or Mr. Stander so as to get in the loop for a potential fix?
mstarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 11:02 AM   #222

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstarks View Post
Deek, I have a 2018 GC Summit with 3500 miles of towing. I experienced the wobble yesterday (04-22-2019) for the first time. Same scenario as many, slow left turn in residential area. Do you suggest I contact Mr. Manley or Mr. Stander so as to get in the loop for a potential fix?
mstarks -- I was in touch with Steve Stander last week. Yes, I think he would be a good choice to contact for sure.

Unfortunately, still no fix for the GC death wobble. Mike Manley has delegated this matter to Stander and Stander advises me only that they acknowledge the issue and are 'working on' an engineering fix. No time frame identified as of now.

There is, to date, nothing known about FCA making a 'list' of affected vehicles owned by motor coach folks that would be involved for the engineering solution. I strongly suspect that when the fix comes, it will be similar to the fix utilized by FCA for the Cherokee model -- will most likely involve a wiring and software change but ultimately both will be integrated into the vehicle at some point. In the meantime, we are left with otherwise wonderful vehicles that cannot be flat towed without the death wobble exposure. I have sold my Summit at 5,000 miles and am currently looking for another suitable vehicle for flat towing.

Sure wish I had better info for you.

Deek
”Deek” / FMCA #363986
2023 Winnebago View 24D Bay Mist II
What a Hoot!
Deek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 12:07 PM   #223

We did the unthinkable and bought a used 2015 GC.
RVPioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 12:47 PM   #224

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVPioneer View Post
We did the unthinkable and bought a used 2015 GC.
You made a wise decision. The GC didn't go to electronic steering until 2016.