Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-23-2019, 08:14 AM   #239

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammie View Post
Hi Barry,

Just wondering if your Jeep GC is a 6 cylinder or V8 engine?

Thanks,
Sammie.
Sammie, sorry for the delay - been traveling. The GC is a 6 cylinder.
bsmseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2019, 08:28 PM   #240

Newmar Owners Club
Do the 19 GC have the same problems?
Sicduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 08:32 PM   #241

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicduc View Post
Hard to say. FCA has never admitted there was a tow wobble problem with any GRAND Cherokee. They only issued a fix for the 2014-2018 Cherokees.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 08:54 PM   #242

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicduc View Post
For the 2016 MY, they introduced electronic power steering. That’s when the GC problems began.
RVPioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 01:52 PM   #243

photo of mod

We are getting ready to flat tow our 2017 Cherokee Latitude. I know about the 68321424AB and getting it installed. In fact, we have an appointment for tomorrow. I also remember seeing a photo of the installed switched with the red cover. Does anyone have a photo they can post so I can show my wife. We do not know if we will have a problem and we are deciding if we want to install it
tycham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 02:08 PM   #244

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tycham View Post
We are getting ready to flat tow our 2017 Cherokee Latitude. I know about the 68321424AB and getting it installed. In fact, we have an appointment for tomorrow. I also remember seeing a photo of the installed switched with the red cover. Does anyone have a photo they can post so I can show my wife. We do not know if we will have a problem and we are deciding if we want to install it
With all due respect the tow wiring kit should not be considered an option, but rather a requirement. Do you really want to possibly experience this particularly at a higher speed?
Old 07-29-2019, 04:42 AM   #245

ford cmax!!

going to confuse the issue...

happened with our cmax...

returning home with our new open road... towing a 2013 ford cmax..
all was well... we ate at burger king on 280 in opelika alabama near I85... my wife was ready to drive the new coach for the first time...

the driveway is a downhill slope onto the 4 lane (plus a center turn lane)... traffic was heavy she was making a left hand turn and decided to turn into the center turn lane. slow speed.. and the coach started shaking. i was sure we had a flat tire on the front. i was in passenger seat and checking to the right... all traffic had stopped... it was obvious to other drivers to "stop and get out of the way!!" she was scared. me too. but we limped slowly to a driveway and pulled in.

no flat tires.. disconnected the cmax and drove it for remaining of trip. the coach was fine... no problem..

our roadmaster tow bar is a few inches above the connection on car.. 2 to 3 inches... ?? i need to check...

so it isn't just the jeeps...
we had down hill slope onto a road.
slow turn but pretty hard turn
sloping tow bar.
?
rockriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 04:49 AM   #246

Winnebago Owners Club
@rockriver, If the Cmax has electronic power steering, the absence of hydraulic damping may be related to the problem.
Old 07-29-2019, 04:53 AM   #247

i've been reading more in this thread.... as we are considering trading for a jeep...

if i've distracted from the purpose of this thread.... someone holler. and i'll delete...
rockriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 07:55 AM   #248

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockriver View Post
i've been reading more in this thread.... as we are considering trading for a jeep...

if i've distracted from the purpose of this thread.... someone holler. and i'll delete...
It's been reported on other brands. Besides worn suspensions and lifted vehicles it's related to EPS.

My 14 (and 15) Grand Cherokee Overland has hydraulic steering (with a electric motor pump) with no reports of wobble. Earlier and later years with EPS have experienced wobble. The Cherokee wobble FCA fix adds a harness so that EPS can be turned on while towing. That likely means a charge line will be needed to maintain the battery.
CA Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 11:46 AM   #249

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Traveler View Post
It's been reported on other brands. Besides worn suspensions and lifted vehicles it's related to EPS.

My 14 (and 15) Grand Cherokee Overland has hydraulic steering (with a electric motor pump) with no reports of wobble. Earlier and later years with EPS have experienced wobble. The Cherokee wobble FCA fix adds a harness so that EPS can be turned on while towing. That likely means a charge line will be needed to maintain the battery.
We specifically looked for a 2014 or 2015 due to this. We were moving from a Range Rover and had to look for a while to find the right color, engine and trim.

To date we like it. Ride isnt as smooth but still great.
Old 06-02-2020, 09:29 AM   #250

18 Grand Cherokee Towed

I have been reading through the history of the Grand Cherokee death wobble issue very closely, of course only after I got a great deal on an '18 GC Summit just before the pandemic. This thread went on for a little over 2 yrs ending just under a year ago and I can't seem to find anything newer than July of '19.

Does anyone have an update on the 2016 and later Jeep Grand Cherokee 'death wobble' steering instability issue?
Old 06-02-2020, 09:44 AM   #251

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by boaterbobd View Post
I have been reading through the history of the Grand Cherokee death wobble issue very closely, of course only after I got a great deal on an '18 GC Summit just before the pandemic. This thread went on for a little over 2 yrs ending just under a year ago and I can't seem to find anything newer than July of '19.

Does anyone have an update on the 2016 and later Jeep Grand Cherokee 'death wobble' steering instability issue?
As far as I know FCA has completely divorced themselves from recognizing any problem exists. I think the best advice is to be extremely careful when straightening out from any sharp slow speed right or left hand turn.
Old 06-03-2020, 06:52 AM   #252

Check and see if your owners manual and see if the still call for the wiring kit. I did install the kit but changed it so I don't have to remove the fuse. I flip a switch under the hood. I will try and get some photos today
tycham is offline   Reply With Quote