Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-16-2021, 07:30 PM   #491

Death Wobble while Towing a GC Trailhawk.

We just returned from a 1700 trip towing our 2020 GC Trailhawk. After this trip and a previous 4000 mile trip we have not experienced the death wobble. I still think our previous experience with the death wobble at 60mph was probably a combination of poor tires, a botched wheel alignment and a very rough stretch of highway road construction. I probably should have slowed down more than I did on that stretch. At this point I don't feel the need for the harness.
mknight2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-17-2021, 02:31 PM   #492

Flat Tow Harness Installation Issue

Looks like I have the same problem as some other posters in this thread. Ordered the harness for my '19 Grand Cherokee Overland and had a local dealer attempt to install. The inside harness installation went well; however, the tech said that when under the hood there is no pink/violet or gray wire, and no wires in the pin 8 position as described in blocks 25 & 26 of the installation instructions. Does anyone have a concise fix for this? Thanks in advance.
Old 09-17-2021, 03:44 PM   #493

post 460 may help
the sights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 04:41 AM   #494

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mknight2012 View Post
We just returned from a 1700 trip towing our 2020 GC Trailhawk. After this trip and a previous 4000 mile trip we have not experienced the death wobble. I still think our previous experience with the death wobble at 60mph was probably a combination of poor tires, a botched wheel alignment and a very rough stretch of highway road construction. I probably should have slowed down more than I did on that stretch. At this point I don't feel the need for the harness.

I'm in your camp for now. Been on several trips towing our '20 GC Limited 4x4. No sign of a death wobble yet. I'm not naive to think it won't happen, but if/when it does, hopefully the harness installation is cleaner than it currently is. I was planning on getting it and installing it, but it seems like such a hassle. I'm sure I'll move on it if it happens to me. And I will appreciate the posts on this thread by people sorting it out and sharing . Until then I have lots of other things keeping me busy.
thegats1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 03:49 PM   #495

2017 GC Overton . We have experienced the wobble 2 times both which were at low speed making a right turn while on uneven surfaces . We slowed to almost stop and then proceeded with no more problems our GC does have the quad lift, but was not in a raised
Position.. I don’t know if using a 2” raised hitch ball had anything to do with it but I suspect it may have contributed to the difference in road heights and 2” lift and possibly took too much weight off the front wheels. I have since changed to a 3” drop and have not experienced the wobble since. However I’m not going to go so far as to say I fixed it.
Redbaron129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 06:16 PM   #496

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbaron129 View Post
2017 GC Overton . We have experienced the wobble 2 times both which were at low speed making a right turn while on uneven surfaces . We slowed to almost stop and then proceeded with no more problems our GC does have the quad lift, but was not in a raised
Position.. I don’t know if using a 2” raised hitch ball had anything to do with it but I suspect it may have contributed to the difference in road heights and 2” lift and possibly took too much weight off the front wheels. I have since changed to a 3” drop and have not experienced the wobble since. However I’m not going to go so far as to say I fixed it.
It would be interesting to gather some data from all the people who have experienced the Wobble to report in with information about their tow bar connection, if it was dead level or how much the offset was between coach and car and which one was higher. I think this could be a factor. My set up is dead level, but i did not tow much before I bought the harness.
Old 09-27-2021, 10:12 PM   #497

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ftodaro View Post
It would be interesting to gather some data from all the people who have experienced the Wobble to report in with information about their tow bar connection, if it was dead level or how much the offset was between coach and car and which one was higher. I think this could be a factor. My set up is dead level, but i did not tow much before I bought the harness.
So my 19 GC Trailhawk has followed me for about 3000 miles so far and I have experienced the wobble on 2 separate occasions...... both were making a left turn at slow speed on very uneven terrain. It is immediately apparent and a quick stop and then forward with no further issues.

Our set-up is with a Roadmaster Sterling all-terrain and it is within 1/2" of level when set up.

I am not willing to deal with the "It might work" harness at this time and feel I can manage the issues and do my best to keep out of the situations that seem to precipitate the DW until such time as the harness is vetted and the bugs are worked out.
2006 Alpenlite 32RL - Sold
paul65k is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 11:45 AM   #498

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We have a 2021 GC with quadra trac 2. Have you installed the wire harness being discussed? If so is your steering easy or hard when in tow neutral and the vehicle off?
I need to know if the harness is even necessary since there seems to be those that say the wobble only will happen in a tight turn at slow speeds. Another question I have is the brake pedal is dead hard when vehicle is off so I thinking the Blue Ox Patriot 2 brake device will not work on the 2021 GC. Any advice is appreciated.
Mikenat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 12:40 PM   #499

FYI 4+years ago there were many posts on death wobble and a harness was developed for the Cherokee, maybe other models. All bets are off if the vehicle is not maintained or modified. The problem was due to inadequate damping with EPS, hydraulic steering like my 14 GC (and 15) did not have this problem.

The harness solution was to run the EPS pump while towing to provide the damping which may imply the need for a charging line. There was a lot of confusion for owners and dealers and this thread suggests that still exists. There were also posts for other mfg models. I have not kept up with this issue

Be aware that there were some posts of very serious damage by some owners including highway driving.
CA Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 03:34 PM   #500

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikenat View Post
We have a 2021 GC with quadra trac 2. Have you installed the wire harness being discussed? If so is your steering easy or hard when in tow neutral and the vehicle off?
I need to know if the harness is even necessary since there seems to be those that say the wobble only will happen in a tight turn at slow speeds. Another question I have is the brake pedal is dead hard when vehicle is off so I thinking the Blue Ox Patriot 2 brake device will not work on the 2021 GC. Any advice is appreciated.
I have a 2021 GC Summit and have towed it over 14,000 miles over the last year plus. I do not have the harness. The steering wheel is hard to move when in neutral. Problem is solved by doing the following; when arriving to your destination, do the procedure to get the GC out of neutral. Then turn the car off, get out of the car and shut the door. Unhook from your motorhome, then get back in the car. It will be fine then. The car just needs a little time for the power steering to understand it is no longer in neutral. Kinda like a reboot on a computer. I don't think you will get the wobble if your tow bar is fairly level, get a drop if needed to make sure it is pretty level.
2021 Grand Cherokee Summit
DebbieMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 04:40 AM   #501

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:

I guess I'm rolling the dice still. I decided to wait on installing the harness until I have the issue. So far I have not had an issue towing without it. I have a 2020 GC Limited 4x4 with Quadra Trac II also. I have the M&G Engineering brake installed and it works wonderfully.
thegats1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 06:45 AM   #502

Quote:
We have a 2021 GC with quadra trac 2. Have you installed the wire harness being discussed? If so is your steering easy or hard when in tow neutral and the vehicle off?....

I have the same vehicle and had the wiring harness installed before we started towing. The harness instructions have flaws - in particular the procedure to engage the EPS prior to towing. When we first used it according to procedure, the steering was hard as if the car was off.

Thanks to this thread we now know the correct procedure to engage the EPS using the harness. The key is to insert the fuse and flip the switch while the car is running, then go through the rest of the tow procedure (neutral, etc). This way the EPS is engaged and the steering wheel turns easily as if the car were running.

For me it was not worth the risk to tow without the harness after so many had reported problems. Cheap insurance less than $400 installed....
markpj23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 06:29 AM   #503

would you buy GC 2014 or 2018?

I have now read every post in this thread. It seems to me that models prior to 2016 (when steering was switched to electric) do have have the death wobble.

I have an option to buy one of the following - each at a great price.

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited w/ 75,000 miles
2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited w/ 21,000 miles

Both are identical other than year and miles. Both are fully loaded.

While I would like to have the newer vehicle with less miles, this thread is making me lean toward the 2014.

Any thoughts / comments? What would you do?

My first thought is to get the 2014 now and wait a few years for Jeep to maybe get this figured out and then trade it in for a newer model.
Old 11-14-2021, 07:16 AM   #504

Grand Cherokee Overland

The 14-15 Grand Cherokee Overland have hydroulic steering. The pump has an electric motor instead of a engine mounted pump.
CA Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote