Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-30-2022, 09:04 PM   #1

Jeep JL toad setup

Has any body else set up a jeep jl for a toad with the ready brake system? Etrailer says I might need a brake relay. They don't have any good instruction's or videos for my jeep. The brake switch is a real bitch to get to. The jeep is a 2018 Sahara.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-30-2022, 09:08 PM   #2

I use the Blue Ox Brake system
Easy peasey
2cyber71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 06:23 AM   #3

I have a 2017 Wrangler. Installed the entire system myself. The reason you need a brake relay is that most Jeeps have the brake lights live all the time. Since the Ready Brake pulls the pedal it will activate the brake lights. However it then over rides the turn signals that are coming from the motorhome. First check to see if the brake lights operate with the key out of the ignition. If they do you need a relay. If not you are good to go.I am not a small person but it was not that hard to hook up the relay. no harder than drilling the holes in the firewall for the cables. There was a series of You Tubes on installing the system in a Wrangler that should be close enough to what you are doing. I think it was a 5 part series.
Old 07-01-2022, 09:04 AM   #4

Thanks Steve the 2018 JL is completely different. So I called Roadmaster and the tech said I don't need the relay kit. I have to order the stop light add on for a brake light monitoring kit. I was planning a trip this weekend. Would that be dangerous to travel without a brake light monitor light.
Old 07-01-2022, 09:19 AM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twill View Post
Thanks Steve the 2018 JL is completely different. So I called Roadmaster and the tech said I don't need the relay kit. I have to order the stop light add on for a brake light monitoring kit. I was planning a trip this weekend. Would that be dangerous to travel without a brake light monitor light.

We used the Curt custom harness for our Jeep JLU. No relay kit, or other add on. Plug and play. Hardest part was deciding how to run the wires. I put the wires in wire loom and ran them inside the frame on the driver's side and plugged it into the back of a 4 to 6 pin connector to attach the umbilical. To monitor the Jeep's brakes, I tapped the Jeep's towing harness and ran the wire along with the Curt, through the umbilical and up to the dash using the RV's trailer harness.

Before I ran all the wire, I plugged in a $20 magnetic tow light kit into the Jeep's tow harness and ran it inside the Jeep and put one of the lights on the dash. Then I could see when the Jeep was braking in my rear view camera. Still have the lights as backup.
Old 07-01-2022, 10:57 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizcom View Post
We used the Curt custom harness for our Jeep JLU. No relay kit, or other add on. Plug and play. Hardest part was deciding how to run the wires. I put the wires in wire loom and ran them inside the frame on the driver's side and plugged it into the back of a 4 to 6 pin connector to attach the umbilical. To monitor the Jeep's brakes, I tapped the Jeep's towing harness and ran the wire along with the Curt, through the umbilical and up to the dash using the RV's trailer harness.

Before I ran all the wire, I plugged in a $20 magnetic tow light kit into the Jeep's tow harness and ran it inside the Jeep and put one of the lights on the dash. Then I could see when the Jeep was braking in my rear view camera. Still have the lights as backup.
Thanks dizcom, The mh powers all lights to the jeep the brake switch is dead after 10 minutes. If I tap into the harness It will only show when the mh brakes are on. so I have to install a brake switch that I can power from the jeep battery to see if the brakes are on.

Tags
jeep, toad