Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-23-2020, 09:15 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Jeep Liberty or Cherokee???

I've been pulling around a 2002 Jeep liberty and has worked really well for us as we have 4 bikes on back and two kayaks up top. We drive a lot as we find a spot to call home base and go all over. Well the Jeep is in need of replacement and have looked mostly at Liberty's and then considered the cherokee as it has more refined interior and more comfort so I'm now in a quandary as too what to look closer at as the liberty has horrible fuel economy but pretty tried and true when it comes to overall performance and functionality. But, the cherokee has more comfort and better fuel mileage.
So the real question is has anyone had to ponder this decision and what did you go with? Oh by the way I flat tow so 4X4 with disengaging transfer case is a must.
Thanks in advance for all the replies, which are always welcomed!!
dcfleetwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2020, 10:36 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
For several years, I pulled a 4X4 Liberty behind a previous motorhome. It worked great. I loved that vehicle. I wish Jeep still made the Liberty. In 2014, though, I traded the Liberty for a Cherokee Lattitude 4X4. I experienced a horrifying time, when the Cherokee steering went wild, while I changed lanes on I-20. Some on here have called it the "death wobble". I took it to the nearest Dodge/Jeep dealer, after I notified Fiat-Chrysler. A special wiring kit was installed on the Cherokee that keeps the power steering on the Cherokee engaged, when flat towing. I've had no problem since, and the procedure to engage the wiring kit, is simple and only takes an extra 60 seconds to the set up for flat-towing. I received a notice from FCA to add to the flat towing wiring kit instructions in the Jeep manual, but by that time, I was ahead of the game. I'm told that on Cherokee 4X4 models in the past few years, the wiring kit is not needed. I'm happy with our Cherokee. Tows great. No problems at all, once the wiring kit was installed. I didn't have to pay for the wiring kit at the time, but a friend who purchased a pre-owned Cherokee said that he had to purchase the wiring kit. I like the big screen on the dash for the radio, apps and other functions.
TomsMaHauL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 06:09 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
According to the FMCA Dinghy Guide for 2019 and 2020 the Liberty is not tow-able 4 down - the Cherokee Wobble is a not issue as now no modifications are necessary on the newer models
rream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 06:32 PM   #4

We tow a ‘19 Cherokee Trailhawk. Absolutely love it. Supplemental braking system is a must. We have the RVi system. New Blue Ox baseplate was a job to install. Instructions are pretty clear but YouTube really helped. Lastly there’s the lights. Easy install.

Oh ya our last toad was an 07 Liberty. Sold to our son so it stayed in the family.

Good luck
So Cal Roo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 11:20 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by So Cal Roo View Post
We tow a ‘19 Cherokee Trailhawk. Absolutely love it. Supplemental braking system is a must. We have the RVi system. New Blue Ox baseplate was a job to install. Instructions are pretty clear but YouTube really helped. Lastly there’s the lights. Easy install.

Oh ya our last toad was an 07 Liberty. Sold to our son so it stayed in the family.

Good luck
Tow the same set up as Roo. Very easy set up, Blue Ox is super simple and the RVi3 brake system works like a charm. The 2019 and newer no longer need the wiring harness for the steering. You need to have the Active Drive II so you can put the transfer case into neutral. You can't go wrong with this set up. Stay safe.
tinpeddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 10:10 AM   #6

I’m towing for the first time my 2005. Liberty 4 x4 with the RVI3 brake system and Blue OX TOW System. I understand the transfer case has to be in neutral, how about the transmission? Park? Neutral? The manual was not clear. 1998 HR Endeavor pusher.
Thanks
Chaps
Chaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 03:25 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaps View Post
I’m towing for the first time my 2005. Liberty 4 x4 with the RVI3 brake system and Blue OX TOW System. I understand the transfer case has to be in neutral, how about the transmission? Park? Neutral? The manual was not clear. 1998 HR Endeavor pusher.
Thanks
Chaps

Page 287 in your owners manual states:

Quote:
NOTE: The transfer case must be shifted into N (Neutral), and the transmission must be shifted into P (Park) (for automatic transmission) or into any forward gear (for manual transmission) for recreational towing.

Seems pretty clear to me...
Old 06-01-2020, 09:10 PM   #8

Thanks- seems clear to me also- just needed verification.
Chaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 09:36 PM   #9

Forest River Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Looked at the liberty for awhile. Then the Cherokee. Couldn't find what I thought was a reasonably priced used vehicle. So we bought a new 2020 Cherokee Trailhawk Elite today. It was the last day of 0% financing. You only live once I guess. Air-conditioned seats to keep me cool �� and heated seats for the wife. Now to get the base plate installed.

By the way the 2020 trailhawk is the only Cherokee with the right transfer case to tow 4 down.
nvs4602 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cherokee, jeep