Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-13-2018, 10:05 AM   #15

Good idea on the spare pins. As for the tail wagging the dog, we're on the 24k chassis. We've got plenty of cargo and combined weight capacity left over. Hoping that helps as it seems to with the handling. But we'll see...
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-13-2018, 04:52 PM   #16

I would add a washer between the pin and bracket.
A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 09:23 PM   #17

I am looking to do the same thing with an off road bumper. I'm wondering if you need a certain spacing between the mounts on the bumper? also will any bumper work or is one brand better than others?
sorry if I'm hijacking this thread.
colodan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 10:56 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by colodan View Post
I am looking to do the same thing with an off road bumper. I'm wondering if you need a certain spacing between the mounts on the bumper? also will any bumper work or is one brand better than others?
I don't see it as you're hijacking the thread. It's all related. ANY off road, aftermarket bumper can and will work, as long as they have the "recovery" tabs, (the ones shown in the pictures) and, they are welded both on the front face and rear face of the bumper. No, there's no specific spacing between them. The way that many of those aftermarket bumpers are built and, whatever design the manufacturers choose, dictates just where those go.

The smart thing to do is, if you're thinking about one of those aftermarket bumpers, then find one you like and will work, AND has the recovery tabs on it. Then, find any and all specs on that bumper and most of the time, those specs will dictate just what the dimensions are of those recovery tabs and their pin hole diameters. Once you have those dimensions, you can then accurately order up any adapters you may need for your particular tow bar.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 06:00 PM   #19

Quote:
I agree. Most will work but you need to check the specs. Smittybilt, LOD, ACE, JCR, etc, will be fine but watch out for those cheap bumpers on ebay or Amazon. If you're not sure, try a Jeep forum or call the manufacturer.

As for the spacing, the tabs are usually placed at the frame for maximum strength. That spacing is fine.

Towing with the bumper is nice but you'll have to piece meal the clevises, pins, etc. We got out set up together and it should work well but it took a little effort sourcing parts.
Old 05-15-2018, 06:35 PM   #20

thanks for the replies. I still have not bought anything to make this happen yet, but pricing tow bars and brackets I came across the adapters for road master tow bar to off road bumper and figured I could get those and a new bumper for about the same price as the brackets alone.
colodan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 03:05 PM   #21

You might also want to take a look a the Currie Tow Plate.

https://autoplicity.com/2009584-curr...iABEgLVGPD_BwE

Several folks on here (including me) use it. However, it does lower the attachment point to below the Wrangler bumper. If I was starting over I'd go with an after market bumper instead but since I already have the Currie I guess I'll stay with that for now. It is cheaper than a replacement bumper.
Titusville, FL when not on the road
hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 03:01 PM   #22

Quote:
I looked at a lot of aftermarket bumpers before I picked what I think is the best one suited for both the off road and towing. Unfortunately it's probably the most expensive as well.

This one,
https://www.rockhard4x4.com/product_p/rh-5045.htm

It's light, very well built and the towing brackets bolt right to the frame. I use the D rings for the safety cables.
Old 05-20-2018, 08:33 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig1960 View Post
I looked at a lot of aftermarket bumpers before I picked what I think is the best one suited for both the off road and towing. Unfortunately it's probably the most expensive as well.

This one,

It's light, very well built and the towing brackets bolt right to the frame. I use the D rings for the safety cables.
Wow, yep, it's on the high side of cost for sure. But if it's what you want and like, well then, jump in and get-r done.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 09:57 AM   #24

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Safety chains; I put these into the frame, when not in use they rest in the skid plate under the bumper.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3911.thumb.JPG.fcd47234aca08303329fb96e52b935c9.JPG
Views:	28
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	203667  
jleamo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 10:54 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig1960 View Post

This one,

I went the same route but the Steel version of this same bumper (it is a Beast). I had them delete the bar over the winch on mine and went with Blue Ox brackets to a Blue Ox 10K LB tow bar. I also use the D rings for hooking the break-away cables to. On the latter I found that given the right circumstance, say MH heading down a hill while Jeep is still flat, that the tow bar angle got steep enough to bind the D-rings (not good) as the two came back to level, so I strapped some small pieces of horse stall mat under the D-Rings to keep them tilted up, and that solved the problem.

My Tow bar is less than a half inch from being perfectly level right now, but I plan to level the front of the Jeep (raise it), so will also put a riser on the MH hitch (my hitch is pretty darn low to start with)...

Just got back from a thousand mile tow and the set-up works great!

Scott
Old 05-22-2018, 01:06 PM   #26

The people at NSA (Readtbrute) will make custom clevises, they did them for my old TJ with D-Rings, maybe $5 more than the standard billet style they have on their website.

Steve
Old 05-22-2018, 05:36 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemoores View Post
The people at NSA (Readtbrute) will make custom clevises, they did them for my old TJ with D-Rings, maybe $5 more than the standard billet style they have on their website.

Steve

That's good to know. If I have issues or see thing wearing, I might contact them about a custom clevis.
Old 05-22-2018, 05:54 PM   #28

Just got my 1/4" plate Tomken installed. The Blue-Ox tabs are located in the center of the 4 bolts on each side and are welded into place by Tomken. The Fog lights are above the Quick Link safety chain tabs. I mounted my tail light and air connection from the motor home in the future winch location, until the winch is installed, which will cover these holes and the air, tail light connection can be relocated. This did require a 6" Curt raise on the hitch. The bumper is powder coated.
Attached Images

Tags
tow, towing