Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-28-2016, 08:02 PM   #127

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
Thanks for the info, Crasher!
Looked a lot, and found where there is plenty to do and it fits my spirit.
Attachment 137443
But the Jeeping for me and Nola is most often alone. Old gold mines and ghost towns, etc fit our needs best.
And we do "Jeep Naked" if we are the lead in the chain.
Our group rally's do everything from exploring mines to serious rock crawling. 430 members. A waiting list to join, 60-100 coaches at a rally with several trail runs of groups of 5 to 12 Jeeps. Good food too.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-28-2016, 08:06 PM   #128

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
Our group rally's do everything from exploring mines to serious rock crawling. 430 members. A waiting list to join, 60-100 coaches at a rally with several trail runs of groups of 5 to 12 Jeeps. Good food too.

And good food?
Oh sheesh, you shoonta said dat!
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 08:23 PM   #129

Tiffin Owners Club
Bought this Jeep in 1995, for $3500 with hardtop and hard doors.

I am a bit older now, and we still don't miss the A/C, probably cuz I know after the trail I have all the comforts of home waiting for us.

We have some great wheeling down here in the Desert South West mild to wild, If anyone wants to do wheelin and are in the area drop me a line.

You can check out some of our videos www.olskool4x4.com
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	scan0008[1].JPG
Views:	87
Size:	585.3 KB
ID:	137449   Click image for larger version

Name:	Golden Spike 3.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	113.7 KB
ID:	137450  

Name:	CaliJeep_NEW.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	503.0 KB
ID:	137451   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160421_183106.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	323.2 KB
ID:	137452  

Old 08-29-2016, 02:31 AM   #130

Fleetwood Owners Club
Fire Up:

Dave,
I don't know about other countries but, the U.S. is seriously full of "street" Jeeps. they started, in 2003, to brand new in out why, a person would purchase a Jeep Rubicon, close to the top of the list of the most capable off road machines, RIGHT OUT OF THE BOX, and have no intentions of EVER using it in any form of off road adventures, much less use its well thought out and well equipped features for some enhanced off roading.

Scott

I liked the"street Jeep" moniker, there are lots in the SF Bay Area, and Lake Tahoe area.

When a friend is looking for an older model, I direct them to Auburn and Napa area, where people buy a 4wd for "if it snows" and never commute or rock them. Garage Queens most of their life.
There is an area less than thirty miles, Placerville, Sly Park, where people have them, commute to Sacramento every day, use them for hunting, or let the kids have them, "until they go to college". Never stock, never serviced, and a big stereo is the major investment.
There are exceptions to every rule, but it is entertaining to go thru the ads.

1993 Pace Arrow Diesel Allison 6 spd
Cummins 8.3C Oshkosh M chassis
2015 Jeep Wrangler Sport JK 2017 EZ-Go Golf Cart
miwok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 07:56 AM   #131

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by miwok View Post
Fire Up:

I liked the"street Jeep" moniker, there are lots in the SF Bay Area, and Lake Tahoe area.
I think they call them "mall crawlers" as apposed to rock crawlers in some circles.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 09:11 AM   #132

I guess it's like anything else "To Each Their Own". We love the off roading experience, but rock crawling isn't our thing. Somehow I'd rather be looking at the scenery than concentrating on how to crawl up a rock wall without either wrecking the Jeep or killing myself. It might be thrilling for a few minutes, but we're in it for the scenery and relaxation, not the adrenalin rush. Our Jeep is just about as stock as it came from the factory, but it still easily navigates anywhere we want to go.

Some friends of ours are heavily into the rock crawling. It seems every time they go out there's either a few hundred to a few thousand dollars damage, or more "experience marks". Personally I have other things to occupy my time than spending days or weeks repairing what I ruined in an afternoon. Depending on the severity of the damage I've seen many a Jeep either towed to the body shop or the junk yard.

Eventually they'll all be setting in the junk yard next to each other. Some will look like they've already been through the crusher, while others will just be worn to the point it's time for recycling. I'd rather have the cash in my pocket I didn't spend on repairs to buy another one.

In my youth I was singing a different song. There were too many times when too many of us said "here hold my beer and watch this". More often than not the results were entertaining to those watching and painful to those performing the not well thought out antics. In those days we all thought we were immortal. As it turned out we were hard of hearing even then. What people were actually saying is that we were immoral. Looking back I believe the latter statement was more true than the former.

Now days I'll be the one holding the beer and being entertained. When it's all over Ill be able to go back to whatever I was doing without a side trip to the emergency clinic or the hospital.
Old 08-29-2016, 09:20 AM   #133

Monaco Owners Club
Build for a living

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atom Ant View Post
A braver man than I! I pulled this 72 out of mother in laws garage last fall, fully intending to restore it. The more I looked at it, the more work I began to see it needed. Got it running and took Dory for a ride and she said never again! It was a little squishy in the turns. Reluctantly sold it. It sold in about 2 hours on Craigslist for $2800, so I probably undersold it.
Thanks. I own a hotrod shop for a living. Build turn key cars, customize classics and restore those that have been literally dug up lol. My greatest challenge will be finding the time I need but still a fun project! My wife has never even ridden in a jeep but has her own 1929 street legal Tbucket street rod so I think she will adjust!! Lol
RLC06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 01:05 PM   #134

Here is my new 2016 JK. I picked it up used at a Toyota dealer with 6700 miles on it. I saved close to $5000 off of retail. Including bumper and winch.

My tow bar will connect directly to the front bumper.

I have been having a ball driving it and customizing it. I think that is half the fun owning a Wrangler.
Coral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 01:45 PM   #135

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Nice Jeep - always bothered me that those Chrysler folks felt they could use the Willys name for their own marketing. Just me though.
Atom Ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 08:02 PM   #136

Forest River Owners Club
[ATTACH]137529[/ATTACH

Nothing compares to a jeep. Build your own save few bucks]
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	291.0 KB
ID:	137529  
jjSpeedwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 06:54 AM   #137

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Nice Jeep - always bothered me that those Chrysler folks felt they could use the Willys name for their own marketing. Just me though.
Willys made Jeeps now Jeep makes Willys. What goes around comes around sort of.

It's just a marketing ploy of course but our Willys Wheeler package came with some cool add ons. The only thing Willys about it really are the stickers.

My '64 was actually made by Willys but the only way you would know is from the tag on the firewall.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 10:13 PM   #138

Quote:
To me it's no different vs the word jeep

I had a 43 willy's jeep, one vehicle I regret selling
NC25T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 08:59 AM   #139

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC25T View Post
To me it's no different vs the word jeep

I had a 43 willy's jeep, one vehicle I regret selling
Ya that's true. I guess I never felt Chrysler was worthy of either name and using Willy's just shows them exploiting it further. I had a CJ-3B and a 51 Wagon - truebloods
Atom Ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 09:15 AM   #140

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
..... I had a CJ-3B and a 51 Wagon - truebloods
You are dating yourself Brad

oh, but you bought them used in 2000 ? is that your story